when is halo coming out to the mac?

Discussion in 'Games' started by junkionxl, Feb 24, 2003.

1. junkionxl macrumors member

Well i was wondering if anyone knew when halo was to be scheduled for the mac. Does anyone also know the requirments for the game?

2. Das macrumors regular

July 1, 2003 is the release date for the PC version. No clue on the mac version, but it should be close to that.

As for the specs, nothing is really listed, but if you want it to look as good as the xbox version you'll have to be above these specs:

733 mhz P3 (mobile chip)
    GF3
    256 mb of memory

Not sure what that translates to in terms of mac/pc, but I'd assume you are going to need a quicksilver or higher g4 with a radeon 8500/GF3 or higher to play at near max settings.

3. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

For Mac you need at least 750Mhz G4 the PC version needs a Nvidia Geforce 2 (not MX) or Radeon 7500. But to get the same level of graphics as the xbox version a GF3 or Radeon 8500/9000 is needed. The Mac version is meant to come out in july but will most likely come out in September, I expect the PC version will also be delayed until September. Most games that say they will be released in June/July seem to get released in September.

4. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

markjones05

Do u think that the PC version will even come close to the XBOX version? I heard that the PC version of Splinter Cell was garbage compared to the XBOX version.

5. Das macrumors regular

Actually, the PC's Splinter Cell graphics were much better than the Xbox version. With FSAA turned on and resolution set to the max the thing looks schaweet. Check some reviews of it here.

As for Halo, I expect it to be just like SC in that the graphics will be the same, but only at high res with all of the bells and whistles and no danged horrible controller oh and some tight multiplayer games with no slowdown.

6. yzedf macrumors 65816

yzedf

Don't be surprised if it is a year or longer, maybe never, before it is released for the Mac. M$ owns 'em now... and they don't give a cr@p about games on anything but there systems. Look at the XBOX for insight...

7. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

A GeForce 4 or a GeForce 3 Ti will be good for providing graphics similar to those of the XBox. The GPU in the XBox is a bit more powerful than the GF3 and a bit less powerful than the GF4.

8. howard macrumors 68020

howard

damn...seems like it won't work on my ibook argh! i loved that game when i had an xbox

9. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

It will work, but just not at outrageously high resolutions.

10. Das macrumors regular

Well, he has a 700 mhz ibook so I doubt that even on the lowest setting he'll be able to pull off more than 5fps. Unless they give the option of lowering visibility to 5 feet.

11. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

Depends on whether he has the newer or older model iBook 700. One model has a 16MB Radeon, the other has the 32MB Radeon. I would expect the 32MB Radeon to work.

12. Jaykay macrumors 6502a

Jaykay

hmmm internet support for multiplayer games with bigger maps.... i can see it now....

13. WannabeSQ macrumors 6502

you are all forgetting, that the xbox version has to use all it's hardware to display 4 players on screen, now isn't that more processor intensive than just rendering one screen? I would bet that that 700mhz ibook with radeon 32mb should do just fine, its just 33mhz slower. Im not sure if ill buy it, as i have the xbox version, and the only time i play it is when we do a "lan party" linking 2 xboxen together. That to me is more fun than playing online, getting to yell at the person who just killed you. Getting 16 computers in one room is harder than 4 TVs IMO.

14. Jaykay macrumors 6502a

Jaykay

Now thats what id like to see, now all i have to do is find someone else with an XBox and Halo....