When is Leopard available-will you get it?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by BilltheCat, Jan 17, 2007.

1. BilltheCat macrumors regular

BilltheCat

will you get it and how to make the decision? Is it expected that everyone will upgrade?

How could it be competition for Vista? Vista doesnt work! :D

and is it $129 for everyone or can we get a deal?

2. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

It is expected in the Spring. There seems to be some confusion about this but Spring in the Northern Hemisphere runs from March 21 to June 21. I will get it but there are always people who do not think upgrading is worth it. Most will pay $129. Some will get it with new machines, some with educational discounts or other programs.

Leopard will make little difference as far as Vista is concerned. PC manufacturers will be required to ship it on all new machines. Businesses with large collections of PC's will wait to adopt but will not switch to Macs because 1. It would be expensive in the short term and 2. You can not run a large IT department, with multiple levels of management, based on Macs. There is not enough to do.

Did I answer all of your questions?

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I will get it, but not in the usual way. I'll get it along with a brand new Intel-based Mac :D

4. HawaiiMacAddict macrumors 6502a

Aloha emptyCup,

Can you please elaborate on your statement "2. You can not run a large IT department, with multiple levels of management, based on Macs. There is not enough to do."? I'm not sure I understand why Xserves could not serve up the network, using Open Directory, and/or why Mac clients can not live on an Active Directory network. I'm not trying to be a Mac apologist, but would seriously like to discover why people state that Macs can not live in a Windows environment or should not be seriously considered for IT-related tasks of IT departments.

Mahalo in advance for your response,

HawaiiMacAddict

5. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

I'll run it just to get a full 64-bit OS on my C2D system...

6. m-dogg macrumors 65816

m-dogg

Nothing they've shown so far gets me really excited, so I doubt I'll get it right away. I'll probably hold off until the .1 or .2 update is rolled out to cleanup any bugs. I'll also be curious to hear about how it runs on G4 & G5 processors like I have.

Who knows though, they may have a surprise up their sleeve that gets me so excited to buy it the day it comes out...

7. gavd macrumors 6502a

I think emptyCup was being sarcastic and saying Mac's would do such a good job it would be far less hassle than a windows equivalent and would therefore not leave the staff enough to do! :D

8. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

My wife will probably be buying a new MacBook this spring/summer so we'll just wait until Leopard is available and pre-installed on her machine. :) As for my G4 iMac, perhaps I'll just "borrow" my wife's copy of Leopard... :p ;) :D

9. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

I am one of those suckers who just must buy every new Mac OS X when it comes out....

... and it has never disappointed me!! :)

So, yep.... I'll be getting it straight away for my "real" Quad.

Maybe getting it a 2nd time once the Dual Quad Core Mac Pro comes out. :cool:

10. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

I think emptyCup meant that large IT groups are not necessary to support OS X, and therefore they will not recommend it out of concern for their continuing employment - a long-standing position taken by Macolytes.

As for the question of Leopard, I'll upgrade as long as the features are strong, and are available to my 'getting long in the tooth' PowerBook G4 processor.

11. iKwick7 macrumors 65816

iKwick7

I'll be getting it. 64 bit OS and updated features? Bring it on!

I'll also be getting iLife 07 as well.... and hopefully iWork 07- if it does have that spreadsheet app!

12. iShak macrumors 6502

i will, if it comes with a new black GUI, iLife '07 (bundled) etc.

kidding ... i might, if the 'top secret features' turn out to be worth the 100 pounds or whatever the final retail price be, cuz at the moment i only fancy full 64bit arch support and i dont see how it alone will justify the RP.

13. Allotriophagy macrumors 6502a

You know what? I've bought a G4 PowerBook, a G5 iMac, a C2D iMac, 10.3, 10.4, four iPods...

Apple has had enough of my money for a while, I think.

I'll wait for a bit and then PIRATE IT, then email STEVE JOBS to tell him what I have done, then laugh as he goes bankrupt and is unable to sleep comfortably in a dumpster somewhere.

14. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

I doubt I'll have enough money straightaway...besides I'd rather wait until 10.5.1 or 10.5.2 to squash any bugs.

15. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

I already have the money sitting around, ready to give to apple!

16. jellybean macrumors regular

If it offers enough of a reason to get it then yes. If it feels like just another "service pack" update like the last couple did (to me anyway) then no. I really, really hope Leopard's top secret features we haven't seen yet are really compelling and exciting and years ahead of Vista.

If it's just Tiger with some minor stuff thrown in, it'll feel like Windows has caught up with OS X in terms of UI and experience and (almost) features, which will be bad news in the longrun. C'mon Apple I wanna see Leopard kick Vista's aero glassy-butt back into the dark ages :D

17. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

18. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Yes. I'll preorder it with the student discount for $69 (if it's the same as Tiger) and will get the free overnight or 2-day shipping upgrade Apple always gives, and get it on release day. :D

19. McGarvels macrumors 6502

McGarvels

Definitely. I especially cannot wait to see what all of these "top secret features" are. I hope they rock my socks. But seriously, I will definitely have to buy Leopard right when it comes out. I've finally realized that after you buy your first mac, you become like an addict. Mac = crystal meth (not that I would know about crystal meth, but you get my point).

20. smueboy macrumors 6502a

smueboy

21. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I should add to my above comment that depending on the timing, we might wait until the .1 or .2 release is out, just to take care of any initial bugs... ;) But getting it pre-installed on a new MacBook is definitely in the cards regardless. :cool:

22. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

same here, but not for the 64bit part

23. ProfChaos macrumors newbie

Upgrade costs

Question: If you buy a Mac prior to the release of the OS upgrade, does Apple give a grace period where they'll give you a free upgrade?

I seem to recall something like that happening with Tiger, but can't be certain.

I'm really on the virge of buying a macbook pro, but would kick myself if I had to shell out another $130 in a couple months fot the latest & greatest version of the operating system.

24. besler3035 macrumors 6502

I'll second that.

25. HawaiiMacAddict macrumors 6502a

Well, if my wife gets me a new Mac Pro (yeah right - figure the odds on that one happening, anytime soon anyway :rolleyes: ), I'll have to just fork out $199 to get the family pack, as I have two Macs. It'll be money well spent, however, and a pittance compared to what it would cost to put Windows Vista on the same number of computers (what with all the upgraded firewall and anti-virus software and such one must buy, after purchasing all new hardware and all so as to run Vista "in all its glory"). I shouldn't have watched the keynote from WWDC last year - it really whetted my appetite!

HawaiiMacAddict