When is the bottom of the market for PPC

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by technicolor, Apr 27, 2006.

1. technicolor macrumors 68000

technicolor

Minis going to fall out?
    I notice the secondary market is still trying to get 500+ for these machines. When are the prices going to fall. I mean they are G4s. When will see some 300 dollar range prices on these machines?

2. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

The bottom of the market will be well past the point at which you'd want to buy for anything other than being a collector. I.e., Prices are always downward.

3. Tastannin macrumors 6502

Tastannin

It's the law of supply and demand. Simple economics. If those asking $500+ for G4 minis don't get their asking price, they will drop it until people start buying them. If people keep buying up the G4 minis at $500+, they'll probably stay there until the demand goes away.

4. tonyl macrumors 6502

5. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

They're still the darlin' of the entry level Mac market. I say they stay hot for awhile.

6. NYmacAttack macrumors 6502

NYmacAttack

Also the mini is a cool little computer which is a lot easier to put somewhere than a big G4 tower. I would expect to see the tower prices come down first.

7. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

I still know lots that need to work with Classic apps or have been put off buying Intel for now due to one or two OS X apps they use not being compatible, (I know Rosetta should handle this pretty well, but theory and reality sometimes don't mix).

For them rather than investing $1000+ in an iMac, PowerMac or other more expensive machine, they would prefer just to hook a Mini up to an existing set-up and tide themselves over to the point of Intel being okay for them. $500 or less is an ideal price short-term.

While people still want the older PPC machines, prices will remain as high as possible. If demand gets higher, prices may even go above retail. I actually saw a second hand SNES the other day for the same price I paid for mine 12 years ago. While this is an isolated example, I have noticed prices on ebay for these creeping back up. It all comes down to what market there is for something.

8. plarusa macrumors member

Don't expect the price for the PPC machines to drop anytime soon. They are still viable machines, which can run everything available now and the forseable future.