When is the Intel version of OS X server coming?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by terracnosaurus, Mar 14, 2006.

1. terracnosaurus macrumors newbie

terracnosaurus

I am waiting to buy a mini until the intel version of Server is out.
    Can someone give me an idea?

--Terracnosaur

2. laidbackliam macrumors 6502

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I would guess, not before a server-class Mac strapping an Intel processor is available. I.E., I don't think you'll see it before the successor to the PowerMac or the Xserve comes out, and you might not see it *for sale* until Leopard comes out.

That's just my guess. Sorry. :( I don't think Apple feels a tremendous want/need to let you run OS X Server on your Mini. But if you feel differently, you should contact them, and let them know. :)

4. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

5. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

and the long answer would be Two Thousand Seven ? :p

6. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

You got it, my friend! ;)

7. TheMasin9 macrumors 6502a

TheMasin9

o jeez

thanks guys, i needed a good chuckle, its been a long day...

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Sorry to resurrect the thread, but I've been thinking (run for the hills!)

I seem to recall that you can upgrade the PowerPC version of Tiger Client to Server just by installing the "server tools" on top of your existing client system. Is there any reason that this wouldn't work for Intel? Sure, there would be Rosetta emulation involved, but would anything stop this from working?

9. Lollypop macrumors 6502a

Lollypop

Interesting idea!! Just checked, there isnt a universal of server tools, but I would think that the server tools is simply a set of tools to change or monitor some underlying settings. Anyone willing to try it out?

edit: Just found something on Apple support site, About Server Admin Tools 10.4.4, seems that Server Tools 10.4.4 might be universal, following the instructions on the link I think it should be possible to install the PPC only version in a intel based mac, then upgrade to a universal version via software update.

10. projectle macrumors 6502

There is a hacked version of the Server Tools floating around for the x86 version of OS X on a few torrent sites.

The packages are stated as PPC Binaries with a modified installer to bypass the architecture check.

I have not personally tested, however there are a substantial number of postings of people having success under the hacked version of OS X for Generic PCs.

One may want to take a look to those shady channels for information to see if it can be made to run under official Apple systems.

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Wait, so you can just get OS X Server functionality by downloading the server tools package from Apple for free and installing it over Tiger Client? :eek:

Ahem...not that I really need Server functionality. I'm such a geek. :(

12. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

No. The Server Tools let you admin an OS X Server. The "tools" I was talking about are the actual servers themselves (NetInfo Server etc.)

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

So do you mean that you would buy a copy of PPC OS X Server, and then use Pacifist? Or, erm, go the route projectle suggested?

14. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

I don't know a whole lot on the situation of whats universal/not universal on the OS X Server side of things, but would it be safe to say that OS X Intel version would come out with the new Intel XServes?

If not then I guess maybe with the next version of OS X, 10.5 (i.e.; 10.5 Client and Server come out on the same day)?

15. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

this is such a dumb question, so sorry, but
    1. what is this whole server tools hubbub about? can i acctually give my mini the functionality of a real xserve (w/o the G5 of course ;)) for free, supported by apple?
    2. would installing server (or just server tools) make it easy to serve my own webpages and do a do it yourself .mac ?

EDIT: from server, this is what i need:
    Web Hosting
    Apache web server (1.3 and 2.0)(1)
    SSL/TLS (OpenSSL)
    WebDAV
    Perl (5.8.1), PHP (4.3), Ruby
    MySQL 4
    Mac OS X Server adds an intuitive interface to the open source Apache web server, making it easy to host reliable, high-performance websites. It features a front-end cache that improves performance of static HTML pages, as well as built-in support for collaborative publishing, database integration and server-side scripting — allowing you to host dynamic content and sophisticated web services. Strong 128-bit encryption and realm-based authentication provides high-grade security for e-commerce solutions and intranet sites.

i also need easier ways to forward ports on the stupid belkin and good, easy dynamic dns service and i am one happy camper!

a machine to be a server that's not my regular mini would also rock. what do i need to be able to serve webpages, do webdav stuff to emulate iDisk? could i even just run BSD on an old gateway to do this? i need quick and easy, so BSD may not be right for that. windows can't connect to the net (stupid viruses!)on that machine anyway, so running linux actually may be needed! if i run linux on that to have it be a server, i'd need help, because i only use SUSE on it now to mess with KDE stuff. thanks!

16. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

There's an icon on the Tiger Server DVD that lets you install just the servers. I assumed you'd be able to run this on an Intel system, but I've never tried it (I don't own Server).

17. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

MacOS X 10.4 Server is not restricted to server hardware.

18. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I never said it was :confused:

Edit: Oh, I just realised what you were saying. By "I don't own Server" I was referring to the software, not the hardware.

19. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Thank you for explaining, sir! :)