When it comes to looks... iMac G4 or G5

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by corbin_a2, Jan 31, 2006.

?

What iMac style do you like the best?

1. iMac Original G3

0.5%
  2. iMac Latter G3

2.6%
  3. iMac G4

63.1%
  4. iMac G5

33.8%
  1. corbin_a2 macrumors regular

I have had both and think that I still like the G4 iMac better. What's your opinion?

2. xyian macrumors 6502

xyian

I think if you take them purely on aesthetics the G4 iMac wins hands down. Not only was the design cool but it was more accessible for upgrades and also you could adjust the screen. I love the new iMac but it's not as expandable or accessible.

3. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

I've had both as well and while I love the look of the G4 iMac I don't think anything can beat the simplicity of the new iMacs. I love when people ask me where the tower is.

4. Oryan macrumors 6502a

Oryan

The G4 iMac wins hands down. You can adjust the screen better and the body looks more stylish.

5. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Yeah, I'm biased becaue I won a G4 iMac, but I still have to say the G4 iMac hands down. ;) It just looks sweet - the G5 looks almost too minimal, or too simple - there's no substance there. Plus, the screen isn't fully adjustable on the G5.

The G4 iMac is definitely the coolest iMac and I'm proud to be an owner of one. :cool:

6. emw macrumors G4

emw

I've only ever owned the G4 iMac, so I have to say I like it the best. ;)

Of course, the original G3 iMacs launched the whole translucent craze, so they get docked points for that. :D

7. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

I have also owned both (2 different models of each) and this is no contest:
    The iMac G4 wins. Someday I'm going to buy another b/c I loved that machine......best computer I have ever had.

8. jacobj macrumors 65816

jacobj

I think the G4 looks a bit dated and it was a bugger to keep clean...if you're a filthy smoker... I am by the way, but I am talking about friends as I have never owned an iMac..

9. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

The iMac G4 definitely wins for me. It was the first Mac that I bought & I still use it occasionally now. The design was bold and different, and the adjustable screen is far more useful than you'd think

10. spencecb macrumors 6502a

spencecb

I vote for the iMac G5, not only because I have one, but because I believe Apple should be considered part of the fashion world. Apple not only makes great computers, they build great looking computers.

As it goes with fashion, things begin to look dated. Remember how sweet the original iMac looked? Today, while it holds a place in many of our hearts as the single product that changed the course of Apple, it just doesn't have that cutting edge appearance.

Neither does the iMac G4. I'm not saying it wasn't a good computer design or that it isn't cool anymore, it's just not cutting edge anymore.

The same will happen with the iMac G5 in another year or so, and then it will be time for Apple to come out with a new form factor.

11. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I voted for the iMac G4. The design blew me away when I saw it for the first time. The iMac G5 design on the other hand, didn't.

12. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

agreed. it's more functional and more attractive. I give the G5 credit for innovation, though--the screen is the computer. Just not as flexible.

Of course, the best would be the G5 guts in the G4.

13. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Sounds like a worthwhile project to me! :D

14. MattyP macrumors member

MattyP

G4, definitely

I have never warmed to the G5 imac, and when searching for a used 20" G4 imac, I have noticed that they are rare and hold their prices. I hope with the new Intel chips that they will start shrinking the case of the next generation imacs and possibly get rid of that "chin" underneath the monitor.

15. saturnino3 macrumors member

I love both. I purchased (and still own) a G4 back in March of 2002. It is still running perfectly and still looks great. Paired with an iSub, it is still much more cutting edge than any Dell or Gatewway. The white dome with the adjustable screen is brilliant. I used it while at home.

At school, I have an iMac G5 with Soundsticks that make for a pefect dorm computer.

The design is as equally impressive.

I favor the G5 due to the simplicity of the design and practicality of the machine. :)

16. MacDonaldsd macrumors 65816

MacDonaldsd

G4

I think the iMac G4 is the best looking computer ever, but i do like the current batch of iMacs. To be honest dont like G3s at all.

17. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

The G3s were cool when the first came out, as they were so different from anything else, but Apple then one-upped themselves with the G4 version. :cool:

18. kwajo.com macrumors 6502a

kwajo.com

i prefer the iMac G4. the attention to detail on that system was amazing, truly amazing.

19. jacobj macrumors 65816

jacobj

sorry off topic....

Just checked out your photography... i do that a lot and tend to find people's sites boring, but you've got some truly beautiful pictures there.. i've bookmarked it.. keep putting more up.

20. Halsey12 macrumors regular

I was so disappointed when I set my alarm to 5am to see the new iMac G5 as it was announced in Paris. I quickly went back to bed. G4 all the way.

21. corbin_a2 thread starter macrumors regular

I myself have been using iMac G5's since they came out in September of 2004, before this i had a G4 and before that a G3. Then this past weekend I found a iMac G4 800 MHz superdrive W/512mb at a public sale for $300. It was a impulse buy, I figured I could make $200 on ebay. Now that I have it home and set it up in my bedroom i'm really loving it! I forgot how elegant the G4 was and also how quiet. My G5 now seems load! I also forgot how much I love the screen and the ability to move it with a touch of my hand. I might just keep it!

22. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I voted G4. I have a Revision A 15"/800 and I don't think I'll ever get rid of it. I was a bit disappointed with the design of the G5, but have come to appreciate it more and more. I don't think that it touches the G4 though.

23. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Nice to see so many votes for the G4 iMac - glad to see I'm not the only one with good taste. :p ;) :D

I'll admit the G5 is perhaps more practical in its simplicity (the computer is the display) and is a logical progression of the iMac and its philosophy, however from a pure aestethics point of view, (which is what this poll is focusing on after all), it is definitely the G4 iMac all the way. :cool:

24. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

I to like the G4 for its adjustable display. However, I voted for the G3 iMac because I used that machine the most.

25. Laser47 macrumors 6502a

Laser47

I loved the G4 imacs, the way it was designed gave the imac a personality, as said by that guy in the imac G4 introduction video "They look like little people". The imac G5's design is great too for simplicity but for personality its hands down G4. Also ive used imac g3's at my school until they trashed them for dells (ugh) and I didint like them that much, moslty because of the screen but the late models were very good looking.