When Last Bin Laden Sighting?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by xsedrinam, Oct 2, 2005.

1. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

October 2, 2005 China broadcast has him still alive and along the Afghan/Pakistani border. And why are we not on him like ugly on an ape?

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

because Bush doesn't give a crap about the actual war on terrorism, but we know this already.

3. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Why don't more people care? That's what I am curious about.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Because we're all a bit sick of it. It's been dragging on for years.

5. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

I am sure NYers are still pretty mad about the whole thing. I can understand the rest of the world getting a bit tired of it. The US is spending 100s of billions of dollars on this war though, and there have been little if anything in the way of results.

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Yeah, whatever happened to the 'never forget' crowd? Did they forget? Do they nor realize that we're going after the wrong people? Where are they all?

Bueller?

Bueller?

7. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

In Bush's mind Bin Laden is/was Saddam and thats why he went to Iraq to capture Bin Laden/ Saddam. I dont think he really understands yet they are two different people......... its a sad time to be an American. :mad:

8. katchow macrumors 6502

I dunno. I don't really think about him very much. I'm not that concerned. :eek:

9. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

So the lesson to be learned in all of this is that if you can hide out long enough, eventually the US will invade another country and forget all about you? Is there a statute of limitations on terrorism?

I'm beginning to think that UBL could hop on a plane using his ID and fly to NY only to have the plane turned around because he's on the no-fly list.

10. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Thats about truth, So lets see the CIA teaches Bin Laden, and this same CIA tells the Whitehouse and Congress WMD's are in Iraq so lets invade? 5 Years later Bin Laden is still walking free. Like Jesse Ventura says if they wanted Bin Laden they would have allready gotton him. I like something else Ventura says the difference between Communism and our so called "Democracy" is they have 1 choice on the ballot we got 2 :eek: Its a sad time to be an American.

11. xsedrinam thread starter macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Amazing how old news becomes new news. So, he's back.
    http://nytimes.com/2006/01/19/inter...&en=0c4ca7099929c362&ei=5094&partner=homepage

12. aquajet macrumors 68020

It's funny you mention that. I don't know about Colly-fornia, but the Texas heat is causing those "Power of Pride" and "We'll Never Forget" bumper stickers to fade away...

13. aquajet macrumors 68020

Wonderful. It's abundantly clear now where the priorities of the Bush Administration lie.

Ugh. And clearly that's going quite well...

14. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

I don't know why they don't at least entertain the idea of a truce. I wouldn't trust either side on it, but I'm really curious as to what the Bin Laden crew are after.

15. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Yeah, but at least in the communist regime the one with the most votes actually win... :D

16. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Yeah... 'cause Bin Laden is captain integrity...

Lethal

17. aquajet macrumors 68020

What's wrong with at least investigating the idea? Why must the Bush administration immediately discount it as preposterous?

And may I remind you that the Bush administration is hardly a beacon of integrity either.

18. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i'm assuming we won't be hearing a "bring it on" from the white house.

19. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

What bargaining power does OBL have? Does OBL speak for all terrorists world wide? If OBL agrees to no more terrorist attacks will every terrorist cell world wide just fade away as their members go back to their home countries? It's not like he's freaking Gorbachev and this is the Cold War. Plus, our first "agreement" w/OBL didn't turn out so well in the end now did it? But maybe I'm wrong. Maybe he's over this whole "the US is the great satan" thing and he can just call off this silly jihad.

Where did I say or imply they were? If I was OBL I wouldn't trust offers Bush made and if I was Bush I wouldn't trust any offer OBL made. Both sides want to kill each other.

Lethal

20. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

Are you not at all interested in what he might have to say? I might be going out on a limb, but I'm guessing the same thing that pisses him off is the same thing that pisses off the other islamic terrorists too.

21. aquajet macrumors 68020

I don't know the answers to your questions. But I'm fairly certain that OBL's face is known quite well among terrorist groups in the region, and he could have significant influence.

And you're right -- this isn't freaking Gorbachev and the Cold War. This is a real war that results in the death of people on both sides, on a daily basis. It seems to me that the Bush administration is gravely irresponsible to discount any attempt for peace that may arise.

Yeah, good luck with that.

22. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I think OBL has made his position pretty clear." . . . It is far better for anyone to kill a single American soldier than to squander his efforts on other activities." -- May 1998

"We--with God's help--call on every Muslim who believes in God and wishes to be rewarded to comply with God's order to kill the Americans and plunder their money wherever and whenever they find it. We also call on Muslim ulema, leaders, youths, and soldiers to launch the raid on Satan's U.S. troops and the devil's supporters allying with them, and to displace those who are behind them so that they may learn a lesson." Feb. 1998 - Bin Laden edict

Or what about

Hostility toward America is a religious duty, and we hope to be rewarded for it by God. To call us Enemy No. 1 or 2 does not hurt us. Osama bin Laden is confident that the Islamic nation will carry out its duty. I am confident that Muslims will be able to end the legend of the so-called superpower that is America.

But I suppose that is water under the bridge now? After 20+ years of openly declaring war on America he suddenly wants to bury the hatchet? And all the other Islamic extremist who despise the West so much and see it has their Holy duty to kill are just gonna go, "Gee. I was gonna blow up some Infidels today so I could go to Heaven. But now I'm just go home and start a family."

Guidance by religion gets kicked on pretty hard down here, and here is most likely the most dangerous religious zealot alive (at least Robertson hasn't blown anyone up) and y'all are saying, "Well, ya know, he really deserves the benefit of the doubt."

I know the hatred of Bush & Co. can run pretty strong but this is venturing into cutting off your nose to spite your face territory.

Lethal

23. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Lethal,

To play devils advocate for the moment - It is true that UBL has said many troubling things (as you quoted) - but for the sake of accurate argument, do you take those statements at face value, or would you possibly chalk them up to rhetoric?

If you admit at least the possibility of the latter, then perhaps he is no different than many a (powerful) politician.

24. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I think we just want this to end. I mean, we all know it won't really, and you can't negotiate with terrorists anymore you can with BushCo, but we could at least keep our options open. And if not, we could actually go after him. Which we really aren't.

Anybody else know a soldier who was moved from Afganistan to Iraq, because that still doesn't make sense to me. :confused: