When leopard ships or wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MichaelThomas, Feb 3, 2007.

  1. MichaelThomas macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2007
    #1
    Hey,
    Im a student and im currently using a powerbook G4 17". My course is graphic design based basically and i've been saving up for a while now to purchase a MBP. Origianlly I was going to wait until the release of leopard and order it then but I've read so many complaints about the screens that Im worried about having lots of problems and chew on with apple trying to sort it out. Granted this may happen regardless of the screens but it appears that everyone seems to end up with an "unacceptable" screen. So basically my question is should I wait to see where apple goes with the MBP screens or just hope for the best and get my MBP when leopard comes out? Im looking to upgrade relatively soon, my powerbook does what it needs to but is starting to become abit slugish and could do with an upgrade.
    Thanks alot.:)
     
  2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

    Eraserhead

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2005
    Location:
    UK
    #2
    How much RAM has it got? You could upgrade that to 1GB+ and the performance would improve.
     
  3. crees! macrumors 68000

    crees!

    Joined:
    Jun 14, 2003
    Location:
    MD/VA/DC
    #3
    I definitely recommend having at least 1GB of RAM in your PB. I have a 15 PB G4 myself with 1.5 GB. Granted I'd love a new machine I'm currently fine where I'm at. I do web design, programming, and some graphics work.

    You say you do graphic design. I would wait. Why? Because the graphic designers staple of applications revolves around Adobe. Adobe has not released universal versions of their programs and this won't happen till CS3. I don't know about performance from first hand experience but I would think your PB would run CS2 faster than the MBP at this point in time.

    I have 1.5GB of RAM in my machine and recommend you have something more than the stock minimum. If you don't it might not be that worth it if you're going to upgrade soon. Might as well save that money and put it toward a new machine.

    Now this is interesting (my situation here). I just went to check my total RAM and System Profiler came up saying I have 1 GB of RAM. No, sorry Crucial - what happened to your 1GB stick + the 512 stock? Damn, this is twice I've had failed RAM. Once Apple's and now Crucial's. Maybe it's because my uptime is 58 days? Grrr.

    EDIT: Restarting didn't help but taking out the RAM and reseating it did. Pheww.
     
  4. MichaelThomas thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2007
    #4
    I upgraded my powerbook to 1.25GB of RAM about 9 months ago. Problem being its one of the first machines and its only 1GHz. Yeah i was hoping that CS3 would follow not too long after leopard so thats part of the reason why i was thinking of uprgrading on its release.
     
  5. crees! macrumors 68000

    crees!

    Joined:
    Jun 14, 2003
    Location:
    MD/VA/DC
    #5
    My machine is 1.25GHz but for me is just fine for my work, but that's me. I'd just hang in there like you said if you can.
     

Share This Page