When Mac freezes...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cms2, Jan 27, 2008.

1. macrumors 6502

cms2

Every once in a while my MBP (running Leopard) just freezes. I'm relatively new to mac and was wondering what I can do short of cold-booting it. I know Cmd+Alt+Esc. But for instance when the screen displays just my background, no dock, no menu bar and Cmd+Alt+Esc doesn't seem to do anything are there any other keyboard combinations I should try before holding down the power button? Or are there other things I should do?

I rarely have a problem that so thoroughly crashes my system, but when I do I'm stuck realizing that while I knew a number of things to try in Windows (and often, often had to try them) I really don't know what to do when Mac doesn't just work. :rolleyes:

2. macrumors 6502a

darwinian

Also try ctrl + cmd + power.

Also you should wait a few moments because sometimes it's hard to tell what's really going on -- OS X sometimes looks stuck-er than it is. :)

3. thread starter macrumors 6502

cms2

What does this do?

4. macrumors 6502a

darwinian

Haha, well I always forget, so I just tried it (thank goodness for Camino's Restore Pages option!). When all is well (ha) it restarts your machine.

5. thread starter macrumors 6502

cms2

Thanks. Hopefully :rolleyes: I won't have to use this one... but I wrote it on a sticky on my desk just in case.

6. macrumors 65816

snickelfritz

Sounds like your video hardware has halted for some reason.
    ie: nothing appears to "just work" because the image on your display is a frozen composite image from the video chipset.
    Could be overheating, driver problem, bad memory, etc...

This is not inherent OSX Leopard behavior; it is specific to your machine.
    (I have never seen this happen to any of my Macs over the past 11 years)
    I think I would have the machine tested while it's still under warranty.

7. thread starter macrumors 6502

cms2

I think it may be some problem with my external HD. I just purchased it and the two or three times this has occurred has been while I was trying to use Time Machine. The image (of windows going back in time/space :rolleyes: ) seems to freeze. Then when I hit cmd+alt+esc time machine eventually disappears and I am left with an image of my desktop but with no menu/dock. I'm going to take the HD back to Apple this week. If I want to follow your advice (just to be safe) and have my laptop checked, how would I go about that? Just set up an appointment with a Genius and tell them I want my laptop examined because of the occasional freeze?