When MRI machines attack!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by vniow, Jan 16, 2006.

1. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

He-he... reminds me of the exploding tattoo segment on Mythbusters... :)

Those MRI machines can generate an awesome megnetic field...

2. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

:eek: :eek: and did I mention... :eek:!!!!

One time I got an MRI for my kidney. The nurse warmed up the table for me. It was splendid. I didn't have any chairs fly at me.

It was fun.
    (I think only because I was on large amounts of morphine...)

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

NYT did a story on industrial safety in hospitals and also discussed this in detail... when the MRI is empty, and this kind of screwup happens, it's a little funny...not so funny when the MRI is not empty.... :(

4. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

Wow that is scary! MRI's are so fricken powerful I would hate to have a chair flying at me while Im strapped down!

5. mlw1235 macrumors 6502

Anyone ever work with NMR's?

Yeah can you say strong magnet, that actually looks like a giant R2D2.
    They are pure joy. :D

6. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

wow glad noone was hurt in those....damn thats scary

Bless

7. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

Actually people have died. The one case I am aware of is a patients oxygen cylinder being left in the room. Not pretty!

Even if you suspect that you may have metal on your body you should be classed as not suitable for an MRI and given a CT. An example would be if you are a metal worker and suspect you may have shards of metal which could be in your eyes, you should be nixed from the list. Shudder to think of what would happen if someone didn't mention that they did....

8. neocell macrumors 65816

neocell

It can't be that bad, how about dental fillings? Basically everyone in North America/Europe/not 3rd world would be nixed from the list

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yeah, anybody who has worked with metal EVER shouldn't get an MRI because of their eyes. Not saying there are huge wads of metal in there, but if there is........yuck! Did you get metal pins in your legs or something after an accident? Hope you remember these things. Sometimes people forget, and BLAMO!!

10. Altima3.5 macrumors newbie

Yeah, it is that bad. Dental fillings are non-ferrous (i.e. not magnetic). But surgical implants, metal shards, etc etc, do exclude you. MRI's do a good job of wiping your credit cards too, if you get too close.

11. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

i've had several MRIs and i always try to take a paperclip or something in with me as i approach the machine, just to feel it squirm in my hand before i sheepishly hand it to the nurse. :p their necklace-like hospital name badges always stand straigt out in front of them (if they forget to take them off) as they get me onto the table too. the joy of magnets :D

12. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

:eek: :eek: :eek: :D

You'd give most of our staff a coronary! :D

Like the other good folks have pointed out neocell, it really is that serious. Staff shouldn't have any metal items on their clothes, hence plastic zippers and poppers for work clothing...