when MS Office 2004 upgrades

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by raythepa, Feb 5, 2006.

1. raythepa macrumors member

If I purchase an Intel-iMac and use the current version of MS 2004 with Rosetta...what will happen to all of my existing files, if for whatever reason, I upgrade to the universal binary version of Office when it comes out? Will all of my work be accessable through the new version of Office without Rosetta?

Thanks for your input.

2. Glenn Wolsey, Feb 5, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2011

Glenn Wolsey macrumors 65816

Glenn Wolsey

yes, Microsoft wouldn't update without allowing you access too all your old Word & Excel files. You are save! :)

3. raythepa thread starter macrumors member

thanks

I just wasn't sure (and guess I won't be until it actually happens) that the conversion will appear seemless from the user perspective.

4. mkrishnan, Feb 5, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2011

mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Your files are already automatically compatible, for the most part, with Office for Windows. Up to the features that are in Office 04 but not in Office 03. The documents will work seamlessly in Office for Intel Macs, because there's nothing in the documents that really has anything to do with the processor, and there never really has been. So you should be very safe. :)

5. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Yup, Universal Binaries and all that stuff is only for Applications and plugin type things, not files. For example, there's no such thing as a universal binary and just a ppc .doc file. It's just a file....things like Word need to be Universal because it's a program. Think of it this way...all files are universal...you can open a .doc on Windows, Mac, Linux, etc, but you can't open the Mac (PPC) version of Word on a Windows PC.

6. Glenn Wolsey macrumors 65816

Glenn Wolsey

Look, understand me. Word documents will almost certainly be able to be opened on any past or future version of Word. Ones created on the Mac in Word 04 can be opened by Word 98, 2002, ect on Windows, and vice versa.

Everything will be fine!

7. raythepa thread starter macrumors member