Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sunrobby

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 17, 2006
Indonesia
Hi, this MBP is my new mac. And i wonder when i put my MBP to sleep, the little light in the button to open the MBP is on, and it's like glowing, you know, getting darker, and then lighter, darker, then lighter, it's normal isnt it?

Also, if the light goes like that, does the MBP need power? Do you suggest to plug in the power or not? Is it safe to transport a sleeping MBP, and also to put it in the laptop bag? It's actually off right? It wont get hot inside the bag? If say, im not plugging the power, will the MBP goes off when the battery is 0%, used up because of the glowing light (i know maybe it will take about a month for the small light to consume all the battery power, but just wondering)

Last question, if i plug in the power everytime, even when it's sleeping, it's ok isnt it? i mean, it wont charge the battery over and over when actually the battery is full, and cause an overcharge? Sorry for the stupid question, just wondering..

apunkrockmonk

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2005
Rochester, NY
The sleep light is pulsating, it is normal. Also, if you have your macbook pro open, it will use the ambient light sensors to control how bright/dark it gets according to how bright/dark the room is.

While sleeping is quite a bit different then having your computer off, the processor is off as well as the HD. It is perfectly safe to transport a sleeping computer.

While sleeping the computer will consume a small ammount of power, if you want it is perfectly fine to plug it in or leave it plugged in at this time. Infact, if you are near an outlet, it seems rather pointless not to, otherwise you're just putting needless wear on the battery.

The battery will not overcharge. This is the purpose of calibrating your battery, according to apple it should be done monthly.

sunrobby

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 17, 2006
Indonesia
apunkrockmonk said:
The sleep light is pulsating, it is normal. Also, if you have your macbook pro open, it will use the ambient light sensors to control how bright/dark it gets according to how bright/dark the room is.

While sleeping is quite a bit different then having your computer off, the processor is off as well as the HD. It is perfectly safe to transport a sleeping computer.

While sleeping the computer will consume a small ammount of power, if you want it is perfectly fine to plug it in or leave it plugged in at this time. Infact, if you are near an outlet, it seems rather pointless not to, otherwise you're just putting needless wear on the battery.

The battery will not overcharge. This is the purpose of calibrating your battery, according to apple it should be done monthly.

What is the purpose of calibrating the battery? And can you help me how to do it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.