When should I buy a powerbook?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by fatmo, Jun 29, 2003.

1. fatmo macrumors newbie

First I'd like to say hello... I'm new here.

I'm looking for a bit of advice.
    I want to buy a powerbook but I'm not sure if it's the right time to buy. When do you think the G5 processor will be in them in the UK.

I'm keen to get asap because they are completely cool, I love shiney new toys and I want to become more familar with the OS to help me find work (I am currently a PC user :eek: ... the last mac I had was an LCIII ). So do I buy now or wait? If it's wait... how long? *stamps feet... 'I want one now'*

Anyway... I'll see you all around here no doubt (although for the time being it's via a PC.... shhhhh... don't tell anyone)

2. Moe macrumors regular

My last Mac was an LCIII also and I'm waiting for a "new" 15" PowerBook, with hopefully more capability.

What I'd recommend in the meantime is to spend as little as possible on a Mac to tide you over until the G5 PowerBooks finally arrive. I'm "borrowing" a 500MHz iBook. Other than the delays that occur when swapping because of the 128MB of memory, it works quite nicely with all the latest Apple software. If it were mine, I'd upgrade the memory.

The 1024 X 768 screen is probably the biggest limitation, with all the websites out there that use all of it, not to mention the amount of space some of Apple's own application windows use. But you can work around that by not keeping anything on the desktop, by not using column views, and by turning on dock hiding.

Keep in mind the next 15.4" PB isn't going to have much more vertical space at 800 pixels tall, but will have more width.

At any rate, you oughta be able to find a 500MHz iBook for a few hundred dollars and keep saving for that G5 PB.

3. fatmo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for replying Moe... the problem is over here in the UK it's quite difficult to find reasonably priced second-hand macs. Maybe I sould look around a little longer though.

4. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

The question has got to be... will we EVER see a 15" Aluminum G4... the rumors were flying that they were coming.. but with the G5 released.. will we?

We won't get to touch a G5 until late september... with the G5 powerbook trailing by almost 8months... can you wait until this time next year for a new laptop? if not, buy now.

5. ju87 macrumors newbie

i have the same question in mind. i'm interested in buying a 15" 1ghz tibook for school in the fall. the computer has enough juice for me as it is, but i would like an updated case along with a faster bus, 802.11g, and ddr capability like the 17". i want to buy soon cuz apple prices in the UK (where i'm heading) are outrageous.

the last apple i had was a ][e :eek:

6. Potus macrumors 6502

Could someone post the link to the MacRumors "buy" recommendations?

7. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

try harder please. :) the link is on the front page.

8. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Freg3000

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

Edit: Cr2sh: You beat me to it!

9. Potus macrumors 6502

Sorry, guys. Sometimes I'm a cyclop with one eye closed.:D

And thanks for the link.