When should I buy the iMac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Wildthing3000, Mar 1, 2007.

1. Wildthing3000 macrumors newbie

So I plan on dropping my PC for the 24" iMac sometime in the next few months. When is the best time in terms of software/hardware updates for the iMac? Thanks for your help. Also, any advice you have for a lifetime Windows user would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. OwlsAndApples macrumors 6502a

OwlsAndApples

If you can afford to wait, most seem to think that the new Mac OS (Leopard) is coming out soon. :) A revamp could occur there also with a design change, but I am not the optimistic type...The iMac is already great, especially the 24-inch version, just Leopard is 'round the corner...(apparently ;)) Also, bravo for chooinsg a Mac, I switched last summer and have enjoyed my iMac so much!

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

As far as I know, you're in the so-called "calm before the storm"... a time before a flurry of Apple hardware and software updates are due to be released :D Generally speaking, these times don't occur on a very predictable basis. Current rumors say that we might be on the cusp of such a time, though.

As for when to buy your Mac, I'd take a look at the Buyer's Guide if you haven't already, as well as the Switch 101 section on Apple's site.

4. ebow macrumors 6502a

ebow

Ditto on the suggestion of checking the buyer's guide. It's in one of the tabs near the top of each page on this site, or you can follow this link to the iMac section of the guide. After the hardware is revised you'd be smart to wait for Leopard to be released (assuming the OS comes out later--it could be earlier or at the same time) so that you will have the latest hardware and software. :cool: For at least a few months. :p

5. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

When buying a Mac, I always check rumor and gadget sites for a few weeks to make sure there isn't news of an announcement or hints that something might be coming down the pipe.

Of course, with Apple, the moment you buy something they update it. It's just how it goes :)

6. Wildthing3000 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies.

I hadn't looked at the Buyer's Guide yet. I'll have to check it out. Hmmm so in a nutshell, what seems to be the differences between Leopard and the current OS version? Again, I know next to nothing about Macs. I'm not totally stoked about learning all the little shortcuts and intricacies of a Mac but with Vista coming out, it's time to jump ship. I've played around with my brother's new iMac a bit and I'm convinced that :apple: is the way to go. Also, how likely is it that the iMac will come in black, is this just wishfull thinking? Thanks.

-Bill

7. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

No idea about black. Leopard vs Tiger though.. wait. Apple releases about once every two years, and there's little sense in getting a two year old OS when a new one's gonna be out in months. It'll be mostly the same though, just more features, tweaks, speedier, etc..

8. Wildthing3000 thread starter macrumors newbie

Leopard it is then...

Alright, I guess I can temper my urge to buy 'till the upgrade comes out:mad: . Has anyone ever had any troubles transferring mp3s/documents/pictures from a PC to a Mac? I have thousands of songs and pictures that I don't want to give up.

btw thanks for the help.

9. Wildthing3000 thread starter macrumors newbie

Fishpaste!

:mad: I forgot to ask one more thing. Will I be able to hook up another monitor to the iMac and run a simultaneous desktop on that. For example, I'd like to have my iMac desktop free to do whatever and have a iTunes open on the other monitor...is this possible. My brother seems to think it is.

10. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

As far as I know, yes it is. However, you may need an adapter to connect the monitor to your Mac, since the iMacs use a mini-DVI port for external monitors.

11. ebow macrumors 6502a

ebow

You shouldn't have any problems there. As long as there are corresponding applications for those file types on the Mac side, the files themselves should transfer just fine. You can set up file sharing between them (I haven't done this but I know it's possible) or you can just burn them to a CD or DVD, or use a USB flash / thumb drive--dead simple.

12. ebow macrumors 6502a

ebow

wrldwzrd89 mentioned the Switch 101 site for new Mac users... it is one of the resources linked in the Mac Beginner's Guide, available on the MacRumors site. Lots of great links there, and easy to reference if you have later questions for the forum.

13. Wildthing3000 thread starter macrumors newbie

Man! I CANT wait!!!

I want my mac nooooooooow. Lately I've found myself going to the Apple store just to mess around with it...:eek:

Don't get me wrong, Windows has served me well over the years, but :apple: is just so dang polished.

14. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

hehe - I've been using Macs for years and I still go to the Apple Store just to touch 'em. You're not alone in this behavior :)

15. Freis968 macrumors 6502a

Freis968

No need to wait, buy today! Won't Leopard only be a cost of $129 for the full version?

I bought my first iMac last January and I have seen the Mac OS X in stores for $129, was that the price when it came out?

16. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

Yes. A typical single-user license for OS X (I think) has always been $129.