When should I sleep/shut down

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by C-Mezak, Jul 21, 2004.

1. C-Mezak macrumors regular

C-Mezak

Hey everybody!

Im both a switcher and a first-ime laptop owner. I have a new 12" powrbook and I couldnt be happier. I just gotta pop some more ram in this thing and Ill be set!

So anyway, I havent shut the machine down since I received it a couple days ago. It's been asleep when Im away from it and left on to be my jukebox as I sleep at night. The question is: how often, if ever, should I completely shut down my powerbook? And will there be any problem having it simply asleep as I tote it around the city in my backpack?

Between surfing, communicating, photography work, and itunes, I'll be running this machine nearly non-stop.

This is the most stable and pleasureable computing experience Ive ever had! I want to preserve it! Thanks for th advice, fellas!

Charlie

2. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

My wife keeps her powerbook asleep almost all the time, whereas I tend to shut my computer down every couple days or so. I find if I'm ever having weird problems, shutting down or restarting helps... and I personally think it's just a good idea to, at least once a week.

You may want to check out http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html to get some tips on keeping your battery lasting a long time.

Have fun!
    Lee Tom

3. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

I have mabey only shut down/restarted my powerbook 3 or 4 times in the past month that i've had it. So i would say i shut down about once a week.

4. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

I shut down my iBook whenever I take it somewhere. Not sure why.

5. Sabbath macrumors 6502a

Sabbath

You really don't need to shut down ever pretty much with a PB. I only really shut down, if I have to eg software updates, or if I'm going to be traveling for quite a while with it unplugged but asleep. The odd problem you do get is usually fixed by a logout rather than a restart also. You can check your uptime by going to terminal (in applications > utilities) and typing uptime. It can be suprisingly how long you have it going for without realizing.

6. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

There is no real need to shut down your machine. If you want to clear your swap files (which get bigger with time and apps you use), you can just log out and log back in. I never shut down except in case of software update which needs a restart.

cheers

7. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

I think Apple recommends shutting down your computer if you won't be using it for more than 2 days. So if you going away for the weekend you might want to shut down your powerbook before you go. Otherwise, there is no need to do anything besides putting your powerbook to sleep.