When the new ipod comes out in april..

Discussion in 'iPod' started by luckylisp, Mar 11, 2006.

1. macrumors 6502

will the reduce the price of the previous model on the shelf? I can't decide whether to wait or just get one now.

2. macrumors 6502

It depends on what they release. If they release a "real" video iPod with a touchscreen and can play music and view photos, the 5th generation will most likely get a price drop or maybe discontinued.

3. macrumors member

i personally don't think a new model will be introduced. Maybe the current model will increas to 40GB/80GB

4. thread starter macrumors 6502

I'll have to wait till April, I guess. I don't really want a touch screen though so hopefully I can get a deal on the 5g ipod. If the screens are touch screens, I wonder if they'll come with a protection coating already on.

5. macrumors G4

Chundles

You mean "if a new iPod comes out in April."

It's not confirmed and I doubt that Apple will replace the 5G within 6 months of it's highly successful release. I think this will be an iPod photo sort of deal, 80GB US$449 and eventually merged into the iPod line the current 5G iPod stays at it's current prices.

Maybe not, I think April 1st will see a nano revision to 2GB, 4GB and 6GB for the same prices.

6. macrumors 6502a

Yea...if.

7. macrumors newbie

Why wouldn't you??

8. macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

God forbid if that were to happen...you would see the majority of MR throwing a fit.

9. thread starter macrumors 6502

It seems more clumsy to me, considering the size. Even if they made it bigger, which obviously they could if they remove the wheel, I still don't think they could make the screen big enough to make it effective as a touch screen.

The only positive would be they would have to include some sort of scratch resistant covering for the screen, which obviously they don't do now.

And initially I thought a new ipod was coming out in April. My mistake. I see now it's just a rumor and could go either way.

10. macrumors 68000

Peyton

LOL. you're right. "why is Apple sitting on their hands" I can hear it now.

And then "I'm not paying $500 for an iPod" then "Why isn't it thinner than the nano, they really messed up this time"

But seriously, I think the 5G iPod will stay, the new one will be starting at $350 or 400. More likely $400. With a thicker 80Gb or 100gb (wishful thinking) being $500 or so. Which seems more likely now that you can't buy a full featured apple computer for that much any more.

So the mac mini price raise was to make room for a new iPod price line so that it didn't seem as overpriced. Sneaky Mr. Jobs, very sneaky.

11. macrumors 65816

ipacmm