When the rapture is for sissies...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mactastic, Feb 28, 2006.

1. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Interesting read on an obscure, but powerful, influence on the American Taliban.
    There's lots more in the article...

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

well, if they're going to insist on being like that, perhaps we should all adopt satanic philosophy:

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

In the words of El Guapo, I like these guys. They are funny guys. Just kill one of them. :)

4. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Yes, because we all know how much Jesus loved stoning people to death. :rolleyes:

If we all followed the words of Leviticus the way these people did, the world would be even worse of a place. The country was actually founded on ideals to prevent this type of thing from happening, so despite how far we've begun to swing to the right, they're going to need a lot more than a few hundred nutjobs to make any real changes.

Maybe they should take a trip to one of those real theocracies and see how much they really like it.

5. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

So what is the difference between what these guys want and what the Taliban wanted in Afghanistan? It jucks smacks of hypocrisy.

6. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

I give you the Amigo Salute. :D

7. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

If they want to follow Leviticus, why don't they call themselves Orthodox Jews? What's their stance on mixed cloth, I wonder?

8. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

That retching sound you just heard from above was Jesus, barfing.

If these people are familiar with Jesus (and their familiarity seems a tenuous one, given their belief system), then surely they must realize that there was a testament that came after the Old one. I forget what it was called ;) , but I remember there was something in there about forgiveness, tolerance and love.

Seriously, I wouldn't take this Moore guy seriously except for the fact that the article says he "stands a good chance of being the next governor of Alabama." That is frightening.

Makes you kind of long for the good old days of George Wallace, doesn't it? [​IMG]

9. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

I wonder what the author's source is for that claim. The most recent polls are showing Roy Moore trailing Bob Riley (the incumbent) by about 2 to 1.

10. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

The fact that he ever got to be Chief Justice is horrifying enough...

11. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    And even better, these people neglect, or are ignorant of the fact that the CHRISTIAN forefathers of this country founded the country with the concept of SEPARATION OF CHURCH AND STATE. It's actually one of the primary reasons we fought the British, and told them "piss off! we won't be governed by a church!"

And now they want everyone in government to rule with the Iron Fist of the southern concept of Christianity. Yeah, that'll go over like a hooker in sunday mass.

12. vniow macrumors G4

Yay!

13. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    :confused: I thought you went both ways? :confused:

Damn, woman, you confuse the hell out of me!

(gears grind to hault)

14. aquajet macrumors 68020

Hmmm. I wonder what they think about trannies.

15. vniow macrumors G4

Details, details....

Hm, not mentioned. I suppose its another one of the side effects of being on the end of the GLBT spectrum. :rolleyes:

16. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The devil is in the details. Unless they're lesbian details. In which case, apparently, we have no comment. :eek: ;) :D

17. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

You know most of those are actually pretty decent rules to live by. If it weren't for that "scary" word Satan involved I bet most people would feel the same

18. vniow macrumors G4

Eh, even though I like boys I'm still a dyke at heart. :)

19. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I know! That's what makes you hawt, silly! :D

20. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

While the source of the article seems dubious to me (Mother Jones) and the article reads like it was written for the Weekly World News, I'll address it.

First, these people sound down right scary. I have a hard time seeing them functioning well outside of their limited circles, and so my fear is limited to the effect on their children rather than any effect on society.

As for the seperation of church and state, it should be clarified that what exists is a prohibition on the idea of a ational religion. The concern was that the king was the head of the church and no other church could be permitted. By stopping Congress, the founding fathers expected that America would be a country built on faith, but that the faith would derive from people following their own concience. Even the so-called wall of separation, which I expect someone to address in this thread) existed only to clarify that the national government was restricted from making a "law respecting an [not the] establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof." While there is a tenuous distinction between the modern interpretation and the original statement, I would prefer if arguments were more firmly established.

21. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

At least Moore isn't quite as bad as this guy running for Texas Governor. I can't find any nice issue charts on Moore's website.

22. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i've found their journalistic practices to be pretty good, actually.

well, no, it doesn't. i assume you were being dramatic.

23. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

This is the guy I like in Texas!!!

24. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

I can only conclude from this response that you didn't actually read the article. The whole point was the large amount of influence this obscure religious belief has on American politics. Their 'limited circles', as you put it, includes some of the most powerful religious and political figures in the nation. George W. Bush is hardly some pittance of a social circle. Judge Roy Moore either.

Also, I would take issue with your flippant characterization of MoJo as 'dubious'. Sure they are left-leaning, but would you automatically dismiss the Wall Street Journal reporters just because they have a conservative bias?

Could you provide some examples from the article that you would characterize as dubious? Outside of their statement about Moore that Lyle picked up on, everything else seemed solid. And in all fairness, Moore did poll higher earlier, and I'm guessing this article has been in the works for several months. Do you doubt the philosophy of the religious folks discussed? Do you doubt that they have designs on the reigns of power? Is MoJo mischaracterizing them, or lying about their actions? I'm unclear how you can hold anything against the accuracy of the reporting in this article.