When the real world takes over

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by madamimadam, Feb 19, 2002.

1. madamimadam macrumors 65816

madamimadam

I know I am a little late to the punch here, in fact, I the following I found out days ago but didn't think to post it, but I still remember when the majority were ragging Apple about releasing iMacs that ran "as fast or faster than the PowerMacs". It was great to start the top end iMac up and come to notice what so many of us already knew, the iMac is NOTHING on the old PowerMac range. The current LCD iMacs exceed consumer needs by a long shot but to say they could compete in a Pro world is pure stupidity.

The lack of cache, in comparison to the Powermacs, as well as the 100MHz bus means that, over multiple tasks, the iMac is a dog in comparison. My 533 G4 can multitask 5x better than the 800 iMac. If you are running MP3s in iTunes and you put in a CD expect the music to stop for a period of at least 5 seconds. If encoding MP3s, do not expect the visuals to look any good. Doing anything more drastic than Word Processing and want to switch apps, expect a short delay.

For working in multiple programs, I would take my 533 over an 800 anyway BUT working in one program doing one task at a time, the 800 is **** fast; starting up the machine takes about 1/3 the time of my 533.

In other words, for consumers, the new iMac is a dream come true and then some, for anyone who thought the Apple Pro models were/are in trouble, get on the floor and kiss Steve's feet.... Apple knows MHz means nothing, why do you say you do but don't believe it.

2. madamimadam thread starter macrumors 65816

madamimadam

BTW, not too sure about the new game that ships with the iMacs. It was obviously made with the same engine as such games as Bugdom but it looks like a bit of a rush job; at least it is OSX native, though.