When the time comes..how much discount on old 15" PBs?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by jgilmore, Jun 23, 2003.

1. jgilmore macrumors newbie

Jun 23, 2003
    Here's the deal...I looking at the 15" TiBook for work because it boots into OS9, but I don't *need* it right away--I already have an 867 desktop Power Mac to tide me over.

HOWEVER, MacConnection is currently running the following deal:

15.2" TiBook w/ extra 512 Ram (1G total) $2594
    100 mai-in rebate for the ram (100)
    AppleCare special (is this usual?!?) 180
    Total $2674

No shipping and no tax.

This seems to be a good deal (especially the AppleCare), but I'm wondering if the TiBooks will drop even more when new ones are announced (whenever that may be....)

Like I said, I don't NEED the TiBook just yet (though I would LOVE it), but I will need it by the end of the year. Should I wait for more price drops?

2. jgilmore thread starter macrumors newbie

Jun 23, 2003
  3. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

Dec 30, 2002
    Chicago, IL, USA
    i doubt you'll see another round of price drops.

it comes down to whats most important:
    these prices will effectively disapear once the new books are released. 970 or not, the entry level 15" will no longer be 2K. if this price is necessary for you to buy, maybe you should buy now. but with the 970 powerbook question unanswerd and new 15" just around the corner, i'd be hard pressed to recommend buying a tibook now.

if you wait and new books (G5 based) are released, you will probably only be able to buy tibook G4's (OS9 ones) from refurb dealers or end users.

i don't know if this helps; this is a tricky time to be buying older apple tech (although i have a 15" tibook from november, and think it's the best computer i've ever owned.)
  4. jgilmore thread starter macrumors newbie

Jun 23, 2003
    Thanks for the reply trebblekicked...any other thoughts out there? Is that $180 for AppleCare REALLY a good deal, or can you usually get it if you push? I'd really appreciate ANY feedback that any of you have. Thx again!
  5. cb911 macrumors 601

Mar 12, 2002
    BrisVegas, Australia
    i'm not sure whether $180 is good for AppleCare, but i don't think you'd be able to get it for much cheaper than RRP. maybe if you were buying other peripherals you might be able to get a deal on them, but i'm not sure about AppleCare. you could always have a look on eBay for AppleCare.
  6. jgilmore thread starter macrumors newbie

Jun 23, 2003
    Thanks...silly question, perhaps, but does RRP=Regular Retail Price? If so, the regular retail on AppleCare for PowerBooks is $299, but MacConnection is offering it to me at $180. It seems like a deal, but I'm wondering if they offer this all the time if you push them.