When time, where should i buy my iPod?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Sweetfeld28, May 18, 2004.

1. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

I was looking online to see who sold iPods, near my town, besides Apple, and BestBuy. Anyway, i was going to go to CurcuitCity to look into getting an iPod, when i remembered about their warrenty policy. You know, the thing every sales guy tries to get you to buy after you purchase a TV or something from bestbuy. I was just wondering if it would be better to buy from BestBuy, and CurcuitCity, rather than staight from Apple? Therefore, i could have a two or three year warrenty instaed of the 1 year warrenty Apple gives. The only down side to buying from BB or CC is that i wouldn't get my EDU Discount. :(

If anyone has bought their iPod from Bestbuy or CurcuitCity and returned a broken one, how was your return? Did they give you a newer one to replace your older broken one?

Give me your opinion on what i should do.

2. jeff.macaddict macrumors regular

My freind just bought an iPod a week ago, and two days of use killed it, so, he returned it to Best Buy, where he bought it, and they replaced it with no problems. I bought mine from the Apple store in seattle, and have had no need to replace it, but i got the student discount as i am in college. :D

3. abc123 macrumors 6502

what is the best buy price vs edu discount + applecare?

4. denm316 macrumors 6502

There really is no "Best" price, they are all basically the same, an educational discount will be cheaper then any store you find.

Plus there may be new models soon...perhaps WWDC...but if you need it now buy it now.

5. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

The thing with Best Buy is that the extended warranty is only $39 for the iPod. And it is for 4 years. And they just give you a new one.

6. garybooberry macrumors member

I detest Best Buy, no, I HATE Best Buy.

With that said, I would buy it from Best Buy with their protection plan.

I purchased a 10 gig back in October and started having troubles with it the day the 15 gig was released at the MW Stevenote...

With some firm coaxing at the Apple store they swapped it for the new 15 gig...but it took some doing.

7. sjjordan macrumors 6502

Wait a month...

I'm also planning on buying an ipod. I recommend that you grit your teeth and go "ipod-less" for one more month. It seems very likely that a newer ipod will be released at WWDC at the end of June. The way I figure it...you can buy it now and in a month wish you'd have waited, or wait now and be glad you did.

8. Sweetfeld28 thread starter macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

With my EDU discount the 20G iPod would be $369 + $47 for AppleCare = $416. Plus, what ever the tax would be.

Bestbuy's price would be the normal $399 + tax + $39 (2-3 year protection plan) = $438. Eventough, this is twenty extra dollars it is basically the same deal, but better in the case of the protection plan being four years, and i would recieve it faster.

So, i think that i might go with BestBuy. Just in case i don't though, how long would it take to ship it if i went way of the Apple Edu order?

9. Sweetfeld28 thread starter macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

I would love a new one but i have been waiting since they came out. I do agree it does make more sense to wait another month since i heard that the newer ones are to have bigger screens; maybe even color screens.

10. vwguy macrumors member

I would suggest going to Amazon.com and order the iPod since they don't charge sales tax on it. Therefore the total using educational discount with tax is higher than what I would pay for at Amazon.com. Also, the shipping is free at Amazon.com too! If you do get one from Amazon, use your edu discount and get Applecare from Apple to extend your warranty to 3 years.

One good point to buy from Apple online store is that you can get free engraving...

If I have to choose between Circuit City and Best Buy, I would have to go for Circuit City. I have never had any trouble getting my refunds and getting a price match from them is a breeze. Also, my gf worked for BB for more than two years that she was so disgusted with the customer policy that she would not buy from there ever.

Just my $0.02....

(Disclaimer: No relationship with Amazon.com.... blah blah blah)

11. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I don't know that every best buy will give you a new one especially if it is abuse from being dropped.

Save your $39 and get your discount which probably both total almost a hundred bucks and enjoy having the extra cash...take good care of it after the first year and you are home free.

Johnny

12. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

My partner had his 1 year old iPod replaced with a new one at Best Buy with the extended warranty. I also had my 3 month old one replaced as defective because of the extended warranty.

Don't get me wrong I am not a fan of Best Buy. But for this type of purchase they rock.

13. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

As others have said already in this thread, I'd wait a month. You never know what Jobs might announce at WWDC, and although I personally don't see any more iPod updates for a little while, and none @ WWDC, you never know! I personally think JObs is going to focus on the PowerMac updates and possibly the G5 iMac or new displays, but you never know - updated iPods might be thrown into the mix as well!

That being said, there is nothing currently wrong with the current liner-up of iPods. I just bought a 20 Gigger 3 weeks ago and I absolutely love it. No matter what is announced in the upcoming months iPod-wise, it won't make me enjoy my iPod any less or make it any less cool. :cool: