When to buy a new iPod ?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by maradong, Jan 19, 2004.

1. maradong macrumors 65816

maradong

Howdy all,
    basically all I want to know is when to buy a new ( my first ) iPod. I will go for the 20 or 40 gig version.
    Even thought the Buyers Guide tells me the product has been updated recently, I guess that's not 100% true. There certainly was the new iPod mini, but the "normal" iPod happens to be the same as before. Namely the one presented @09-2003.
    Now, would you please tell me what you would do.

greets.

2. klyau6 macrumors member

i could be absolutely wrong, as i'm just getting into the mac stuff...but didn't they change the regular ipods from 10Gb to 15Gb for the same price as the old 10GB since they released the mini iPod? that's just what i thought i heard though, who knows..but i would say, if anything, get one now. they're prob not going to update anything else anytime in the near future, and if so, it won't be too significant (except i did hear they might slash mini iPod prices later...but i dont know)...good luck

3. maradong thread starter macrumors 65816

maradong

4. simon1 macrumors newbie

Just ordered mine last friday. The 20GB version. Cannot wait to tinker with it

5. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

My brother has a 20GB iPod (newest revision). They are very sweet.

I doubt there's going to be any major updates to the iPod for a while. They did up the low-end to 15GB. I'd get either the 15GB or the 20GB.

6. kjdenison macrumors 6502

i just bought a 15, i was happy that they just updated. I am really pleased with the capacity and everything about it. I had doubts, i was thinking i would rather have the mini because of the size, but i am more than happy on my decision, because i got much more for the money.

7. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

I got the 20 before mac world ... even with the 5 gig boost i still would of gotten the 20 gig ... dock and remote included :)

8. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Maradong, I noticed you're from Luxembourg in good old Europe. If the prices are like the UK, then the 20GB is better value because you get the dock, remote, leather case, etc included. If you buy the 15GB, then it costs the difference to get the accessories (they are nice). In the US, there is a bigger difference between these prices I think, so the 20GB may not be such a good deal over there. Not sure in Euros though.

Free engraving at the UK store at the moment too.

9. maradong thread starter macrumors 65816

maradong

You're right.

It seems that I ll get the 20 gig anyway. The 40 gig version is very interesting as well, esp. because of the better gig/€ proportion, but i guess it s just to expensive.

Anybody knows wether the 40gig feels much heavier than the 20 gig ? Does the 40 gig version feel much thicker than the 20gig version ?
    Those might be stupid questions, but as I haven't got the possibility to check for myself, I would like to get some feedback from other users before I do my final decission.

10. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

I think the 40GB model is overkill for most people. You do get the most MB per €£$ but it is a little thicker and heavier. I doubt you'd notice it really though. Good as a firewire hard drive too.

For my brother, it was stretching it for him to get the 20GB, even with the money we saved for getting it with my PowerBook... I think money is ultimately the barrier on the 40GB version.

11. maradong thread starter macrumors 65816

maradong

12. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

To me it makes no sense for the 15GB at $299, and the 20GB at $399.

Back in July 2002 the range was 5/10/20 at the same price points as today.

Then in April 2003 the went to 10/15/30 again at the same price points.

Sept 2003 then saw the range go to 10/20/40 same price points.

Does this mean that we will have to wait till June 2004 to see Apple bump the line up to 15/30/60? Or do you think that we might see the 20GB go and the 40GB move to the $399 price point, and abandon the $499 price point all together? best Buy is indicationg that the 20GB is spotty. I was told they were not sure when they will get back in stock at one store I went to.

13. fartheststar macrumors 6502a

fartheststar

accessories

I thought I would never use the accessories with my 20 Gig ipod.

Got it for Christmas from my mum. She bought the 20 gig because of the dock, the carry case and the remote control.

They are by far the coolest accessories for the coolest device.

Get the bells and whistles with the 20 or 40 Gig model. You will not be disappointed.

14. sparks9 macrumors 6502a

If I were you I would get the 20 gig (with included dock & remote) now. iPod updates are not just around the corner, you could end up waiting 5 months.

Btw: If you don't care about the dock, you should get the 15 gig, because the remote is not that important (in my opinion of course) :)