When to buy a refurb...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by taildragger, Feb 28, 2007.

1. taildragger macrumors newbie

I haven't quite seen this question asked, so I'll go ahead and do it anyways and jam up the forums even more.

Do the refurb prices usually drop along with the introduction of a new set of upgrades, I cannot afford to buy a new MBP so I was looking at getting a refurb since they are about $400 less, with the small chance of getting some free goodies.

Does anyone know if this is what happened when the core duo's went to c2d, or did the refurbs stay the same price until the new models started getting sold as refurbs? Lastly, if there really is to be an update, will the currently new models drop off in price in order to get rid of stock, and if so would the drop be comparable to the price difference between new and refurb?

2. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Depends, if stock is overwhelming which i think it was for Core Duos then there will be price cuts. Otherwise prices would stay the same UNTIL the new models started shipping as refurbs as well, in which case, the old models' prices will be cut.

This is how it should be....BUT sometimes (most times rather) it isn't so and you'll find old models being more expensive than new ones in some cases. Bottom line is pricing doesn't follow a pattern or set Logic like most things Apple, its a case by case scenario. There is no universal method and you often find yourself scratching your head thinking "huh?".