Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jshum9999

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2004
Hello everyone,
I'm a college student, and I'm looking to buy a Powerbook. I know that right now Apple has the Cram and Jam deal where I can get a Powerbook and a iPod and get $200 back. This offer ends on September 25th. Should I buy the powerbook as soon as I can, or should I wait until the end of September just in case a new Powerbook comes out?
Also I know that this has been discussed a lot, and I have looked at a lot of posts on this, but do you guys think that the G5 powerbook will be arriving anytime soon? I'm willing to wait up to early next year before I purchase my powerbook, if the G5 were to come out then.
So can anyone help me out with when I should purchase my powerbook?

Thanks,
Justin

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
The absolute earliest a G5 PB is likely to appear is late spring, based on a summary of what I've read. Could it come out earlier? I suppose. But Bush could also decide to promote gay marriage. Late spring/summer is more likely.

Cram'n'Jam gives you $200 off an iPod and a PB you can use now. Note that you'll be able to sell it later, should you need to. My suspicion is that the first generation of G5 PBs won't be all that much more powerful than the current G4s - just that they'll have the G5 in them.

On the other hand, it's not impossible that we'll see faster/bigger HDs, better screen resolutions, possibly faster G4s, etc. before then. No matter when you buy, something better will come out shortly.

My advice, as always, is wait until you need/really want a new computer, then buy the best one you can reasonably afford which suits your needs, and stop looking at Apple.com for a few months.

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says...yes, another one that says buy now. Also, learn how to search the forums a bit - we have had countless "when should I buy, when is the PB G5 coming..." threads lately - you'll more than likely get your answer quicker if it is already there and save us from repeating our opinions/thoughts over and over again......oh yeah!

JzzTrump22

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2004
New York
I also agree to buy it now. G5 = late spring/early summer like jsw stated. There could be a 4th PB revision during that time. But you never know. You might wind up waiting for something that will never happen. I say buy it now. And if you wait, you will lose out on Cram and Jam.

Vector

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2002
I just bought my new PB 15" and a new iPod. If another revision does come out soon, it will just be a slight speed bump. PB G5s won't come out until spring of next year at the earliest. If you need a new one, get one, but if you can wait there might be a small speed bump. I needed one so i bought it. A newer faster computer will always come out after you buy yours, so at some point you just have to buy one and not worry about it.

jshum9999

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2004
thanks everyone for your quick responses. and i DID search the forum, I guess i just didn't use the right search words. anyway, thanks again.

Justin

Squire

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2003
Canada
jshum9999 said:
thanks everyone for your quick responses. and i DID search the forum, I guess i just didn't use the right search words. anyway, thanks again.

Justin,

Don't worry about not finding something with the site search. I've never had much luck with it even when I knew something was posted previously. It's not exactly Google.

I'm in the same situation. In fact, I may have my 12" PB order placed by the time you read this. (I'm getting a 6-month no interest deal and I know I won't when the next rev. comes out.) I figure that a new 12" Powerbook will be released in October with the following specs:

1.5 GHz G4
80 GB hard drive
backlit keyboard

I mean, the 12" has just been getting the specs of the previous higher-end models. (Actually, would a bigger hard drive and backlit keyboard take up more space?) In other words, I don't think the next revision will be anything to write home about and a lot of people are reluctant to buy rev. A machines. To me, that says buy now.

Squire

Zaty

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2004
Switzerland
Squire said:
I figure that a new 12" Powerbook will be released in October with the following specs:

1.5 GHz G4
80 GB hard drive
backlit keyboard

I agree with you except for the backlit keyboard. I don't think the 12" will get it. I'm not even sure if there's enough room to fit the sensors in. The 12" might get a better graphic chip, though (Radeon 9600/9700 or GeForce FX Go5600/5700)

To the original poster: I'd also say buy now. The next revision is most probably not worth the wait. Secondly, even if they're announced in September/October, you could end up waiting until November to get hold of one.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
According to the buyers guide it is possible that we might see a new PB before 9/25. But then you have the issue that iPods might be backordered at the time you want to purchase.

greatm31

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2001
Actually I'll mention what I'm doing, you might want to keep it in mind. In case something big comes out on 9/25, I'm going to buy my new powerbook on the 22nd or the 23rd, that way I'll still get the Cram and Jam deal, and if they release something on the 25th, maybe they'll give me a complementary upgrade. Hey, it's better than nothing.

SolidGun

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2004
Twin Cities
That isn't such a bad idea.....but be sure to order iPod with your PB, I made this mistake and ordered the iPod when it was first up for sale that Monday from Apple.com, when I got it the next day it was defective I took it in to Apple store and saw the PB being actually really really really cool....so I figured I would give Mac a try for portable computing (probably never full time for me), so I bought it thinking that I could take advantage of cram and jam.
The PowerBook I bought had a pixel in the center that was always on, so I went back to return it only to find out that cram and jam must have the receipt with both items on together......drive back home, pick up iPod, back to store, discussion with manager.....got it straightened out.
So I just thought I should let you know this, just in case.
Also, you should read the find print on the rebate to see if your tactic against Apple would work. I believe the post mark date has to be Sept. 25th and if you order it a few days earlier and your PB is backordered or delayed, you would not be eligible for the rebate offer.
Good luck!

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2004
jshum9999 said:
Hello everyone,
I'm a college student, and I'm looking to buy a Powerbook. I know that right now Apple has the Cram and Jam deal where I can get a Powerbook and a iPod and get $200 back. This offer ends on September 25th. Should I buy the powerbook as soon as I can, or should I wait until the end of September just in case a new Powerbook comes out?
Also I know that this has been discussed a lot, and I have looked at a lot of posts on this, but do you guys think that the G5 powerbook will be arriving anytime soon? I'm willing to wait up to early next year before I purchase my powerbook, if the G5 were to come out then.
So can anyone help me out with when I should purchase my powerbook?

Thanks,
Justin

I'm actually in the same boat, college starts Sept. 4th and I've been saving up for a Powerbook for a long time now (working at Dairy Queen too, talk about enduring pain :D), and I'm ready to take the plunge.

A couple of things are stopping me though. It looks like I'll be getting a job at our local Apple Store (so excited about this, dream come true, second interview... they are doing background check stuff, but I think I've got it), so I should wait for that discount. If I don't get the job, my ADC Student membership is still pending, also an incredible discount.

Not to mention the possibility of REV. D... so, it looks like I'll be using a Wintel laptop for the first few weeks/months, as much as I hate it.

SolidGun

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2004
Twin Cities
At the Dairy Queens I have been to there were hot b....well you know what I am getting at.
What kind of qualities are they looking for at the Apple store, I have always wondered that. Do you have to know a lot of "Apple" or is it okay if you are just good at "birds and bees"?
They were hiring at one point at a local store, and when I went to that stores grand opening, the people didn't seem to have too much knowledge on iPods or PowerBooks/iBooks, but seemed to know Mac OS (not X).

ttmac

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2004
Buying a Powerbook G4

Hi, I have a question, is there going to be a Powerbook, laptop G5 coming out anytime soon? If so, when? Thank you
:)

Zaty

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2004
Switzerland
Like others have already said, no G5 PB soon. Definitely not before Macworld SF 05. But spring/early summer (WWDC 05?) is probably a better be.

SolidGun

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2004
Twin Cities
ttmac said:
Hi, I have a question, is there going to be a Powerbook, laptop G5 coming out anytime soon? If so, when? Thank you
:)
Its release has been speculated and we expect it to come out someday, but no official release date has been set. I believe it was mentioned in one of the posts in this thread.

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2004
SolidGun said:
At the Dairy Queens I have been to there were hot b....well you know what I am getting at.
What kind of qualities are they looking for at the Apple store, I have always wondered that. Do you have to know a lot of "Apple" or is it okay if you are just good at "birds and bees"?
They were hiring at one point at a local store, and when I went to that stores grand opening, the people didn't seem to have too much knowledge on iPods or PowerBooks/iBooks, but seemed to know Mac OS (not X).

Yeah... I will miss all the hotties. Hopefully hot chicks buy Macs? :D

You don't need to be a tech genius to work there (well, unless you apply for the Genius Bar of course). Being familiar with Macs and retail are definitely the best things to prepare. I found this resource if you're interested, it's by far the best on the web, I even contributed a little bit to it.

http://www.ifoapplestore.com/stores/hiring.html

daniviva

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2004
SolidGun said:
Also, you should read the find print on the rebate to see if your tactic against Apple would work. I believe the post mark date has to be Sept. 25th and if you order it a few days earlier and your PB is backordered or delayed, you would not be eligible for the rebate offer.
Good luck!

Why will my order be backordered or delayed if I order PB on Sept 25th??
:confused:
actually, I also want to ask: Can I get the rebate if I make an order on Sept 25th??

Thx~!

greatm31

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2001
I just checked the rebate information (promo on this page). In the rebate form, it says you must order your Powerbook/iPod by September 25th. BUT the rebate must be received by apple before November 15th. So it seems my devious plan will work after all! I'm gonna buy on the 23rd, I think.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
greatm31 said:
I just checked the rebate information (promo on this page). In the rebate form, it says you must order your Powerbook/iPod by September 25th. BUT the rebate must be received by apple before November 15th. So it seems my devious plan will work after all! I'm gonna buy on the 23rd, I think.

As long as everything is delivered by the 14th of November.

greatm31

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2001
Chip NoVaMac said:
As long as everything is delivered by the 14th of November.

I guess that's vaguely possible, considering Apple isn't very good at shipping their G5's, but I bet that if I complain about that being exactly what happened, I'm sure they'll give me the cash. Right? I mean, I bet a ton of people will order their machines on the 23rd or 24th by pure chance and they'll get a lot of complaints if they don't give the rebates.

All this is obviously too speculative, since it's rather unlikely that they'll update the machines that soon anyway. Sigh...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.