When to buy new PowerMac G5?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by LDSProf, Dec 8, 2004.

  1. LDSProf macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 8, 2004
    Location:
    Harrisonburg, VA
    #1
    I know that MacRumors says to wait on buying a PowerMac now. I'm anxious, of course, to get a new dual G5 to replace my old office G4 but I don't want to do what I did last Spring when I bought an iBook just before new ones came out. Is there an expectation of a new PowerMac coming soon? Any idea when? I can wait a little while but probably don't want to wait more than maybe 4-6 weeks.

    Thanks for your help. I just discovered this forum and it's very helpful already.
     
  2. destroyboredom macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 16, 2002
    Location:
    Washington, DC.
    #2
    From everything I have read in the past couple weeks, No one really expects a speed bump on the current line until Feb-March time frame. People do think however that it is possible they would do a small revision on them in Jan. for MWSF. Updated DVD-R and maybe a newer video card. As for me, I couldn't wait any longer and broke down and ordered my dual 2.0 on Monday.
     
  3. 748s macrumors 6502a

    748s

    Joined:
    Dec 14, 2001
    Location:
    Tiger Bay
  4. LDSProf thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 8, 2004
    Location:
    Harrisonburg, VA
    #4
    Is there a reason why you went for the dual 2.0 vs. the dual 1.8? It seems like the small speed bump isn't very worth the large price bump.
     
  5. LDSProf thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 8, 2004
    Location:
    Harrisonburg, VA
    #5
    That's what I was thinking.

    Thanks.
     
  6. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

    StarbucksSam

    Joined:
    Nov 21, 2004
    Location:
    Washington, D.C.
    #6
    I'd wait until APRIL. I know that sounds silly, but if it's not a major revision at MWSF... for something in THAT pro price range, it's worth the wait.
     
  7. destroyboredom macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 16, 2002
    Location:
    Washington, DC.
    #7
    After considering everything, amount of standard ram, hd size, and the amount of memory slots, I liked the 2.0 better.

    I really wanted to future proof myself and for me just the extra 4 memory slots was worth the money. 512MB sticks are about 1/2 the price of buying 1GB sticks. So I can upgrade the RAM gradually, instead of going out and buying 4 512MB right away, I can buy another 512 (2 x 256), and still have room for 4 more sticks of whatever size.

    As far as price bump, you have to consider the memory and Hard drive difference when upgrading, those alone are probably worth $100, so now you have a $400 price difference.

    I also have never owned a machine faster than 1.7GHZ, even in the PC world, so I think a small part of it may have been a mental thing.

    EDIT: Finding this link earlier in another post made me feel good about the decision as well.

    http://www.hardmac.com/article.php?id=44
     
  8. cmvsm macrumors 6502a

    cmvsm

    Joined:
    Nov 12, 2004
    #8
    Just Get It Already!

    I wouldn't anticipate any major change in hardware to perhaps June when Tiger is launched. That said, the machines available now will be viable for a long long time to come. Don't forget what happened to the dual 1.8 as it was crippled in the last version and could be a potential outcome for the dual 2.0, so order while the hardware is hot!

    I'd buy the dual 2.0 and stop reading about it and enjoy it!! Order today!! :D
     
  9. iriejedi macrumors 6502a

    iriejedi

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2000
    Location:
    Nor Cal
    #9
    now for MWSF

    Order it now and hope to get it by Mac World SF....

    the 2.5 is truly one amazing box.

     

Share This Page