When to buy??

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by merge, Dec 26, 2002.

1. merge macrumors member

OK, I need a bit of help please...

I am going to be buying an iBook in the next few weeks...

my issue is this... If I buy before the 31st, I can add 512 MB's of RAM for $40 because there is only 1 slot available, they have to add a 512 stick to the 128 built in...

anywho... the only thing holding me back is that the EXPO is in a few weeks.. and maybe they are going to add something...

built in bluetooth?? faster G3? who knows...

what should I do?:confused:

also, on additional question...
    My father bought the 1GHz Powerbook a month ago.. doubled the ram... heluva machine...
    but when he upgraded the ram for $40... he also HAD to have them install it at the store for $30...
    Can't I get out of that $30... I mean.. i am not cheap or anything... but come on... how hard is it to stick some more RAM in a Laptop??

2. theranch macrumors 6502

First rule...

First rule is .....
    Never buy a new mac a month or less before a MacWorld Expo no matter what. Those free ram deals are never free or as good as they look. Live on ramseeker.com for a couple of weeks and you'll find some great deals on ram that you can install yourself.

3. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Re: When to buy??

Basically, in general - it's safe to get a computer immediately after their new release... so for the iBooks, you should be safe. That being said, since the expo is just next week... you might as well wait.

The $40 RAM for 512 MB is not bad... but you can get 512 MB for $98 from http://www.macsales.com

Alternatively, you can contact Back2TheMac (a user on the forums here), who does sales for http://www.generalcybernetics.com/apple who might be able to swing a similar deal - or at least not charge you for ram installation.

Installing RAM in an iBook is very easy, BTW.

arn