When to Sell my iPhone 4S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by newmacuser14, Apr 7, 2012.

1. macrumors member

I want to get the iPhone 5 in October, so when should I sell my iPhone 4S. I have the Verizon White 16GB. How much could I get for it, its in mint condition. What month should I sell mine if I want the most amount of $ I can get. I know there are experts here who have done this each year.

Thanks

2. macrumors 604

labman

check ebay to get ideas what they are going for. nobody can give you a real number on what it's worth in 6 months. I'd sell in Aug-Sept and go with another phone for a month or two. if you really want the most bang for the buck.

3. macrumors 68000

Shadowbech

As the above said, nobody here knows or can tell you what price to sell it at. Only you can determine the condition of your phone and the pricing that sells on ebay/CL.

One suggestion is go on ebay, click on Sell, put in the description, it will tell you the average price that is currently being sold and you go from there.

4. macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

To get the most you need to sell it now.

5. macrumors 604

lordofthereef

I usually sell mine ~4 weeks prior to the new release. I have no idea how much ATT's unlocking of phones off contract is going to effect the prices of iPhones, if at all. Since it is OFF CONTRACT phones, I would think most 4S's will be unaffected.

6. macrumors newbie

Last year prior to the iPhone 4s coming out I could get 400 out of all my iPhone 4 and I had a lot bc I bought to resell... So I would guess about the same, 400

7. macrumors newbie

8. macrumors 68040

Jordan921

I'd get rid of it right now before you lose more money!

9. JMG
    macrumors 6502a

JMG

I've sold my iPhone 3G, 3GS and iPhone 4 on eBay at least a week after the next gen that replaces them had been released into retail stores. All on eBay and they all went for $320+. Granted I always keep them in new condition ie no scratches whatsoever and they are always the highest model (biggest capacity) and that helps. Check what the iPhone 4 16gb and 8gb are selling for now. That is a good indication, now that the 4S has been out for awhile, of how much value you might retain. I'd say somewhere between the 8 and 16 since the 64gb is a certainty and who knows if apple will release something with more. 80gb? 120gb? Who knows.

10. macrumors regular

Just like a car, an iphone will depreciate it's value every day you keep it, and every day you wear it out. So to get the best price,would obviously mean to sell it right away in the best possible condition.

But, you will be out of an iphone for 6 months. So, what is the nonpresence of an iphone worth to you? If you sell it right now, you'll get maybe $470. If you sell after 6 months, you'll get maybe $370. So is losing out on $100 profit for not having an iphone for 6 months worth it to you?

If you're asking when the resale value drops significantly, it's obviously right after the newer model comes out.

11. macrumors 6502

I don't know about when to sell (other than to chime in that value will be constantly going down), but I suggest you get Verizon to unlock the GSM portion as it may increase the value slightly and also increase the number of potential buyers you could sell to considerably.

12. macrumors member

I just sold my 4S for £460 on eBay. Thought I may as well go for it now before loads appear :).

13. macrumors 68020

That's really... sad... that you guys are already selling your iPhone 4S so you can get the next generation iPhone for the best price in October. That's at least a full six months from now.

I'd sell it in September or something like that.

14. thread starter macrumors member

That wasn't my question, I am not selling it anytime soon. My question was aimed more for the right time frame and I got the answer. About 4 weeks before the new version comes out I will sell it. My phone is in brand new condition with a case and screen protector so I figure I will get a decent selling price.

15. macrumors 65816

Agree.

Is it really that important to get an extra $25 or $50 that you are willing to go without an iPhone for an extended period of time? Seems like nonsense to me.

16. macrumors 6502a

aliensarecool

this.

17. macrumors 603

rgarjr

It's probably more like 80-100 but yeah it's not worth it to be out of an iPhone that long.

18. macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

This forum is full of "sad". :apple:

19. macrumors 65816

right now its worth about $400-$425. Verizon/Sprint versions go for less unless u get it SIM unlocked and ship it overseas. When new iphone comes out 2 things happen. One price dives as people wait for new one. It dives even further here in marketplace as people know whats going on. First week of iphone launch everyone tries to sell their "old" iphone. Price dives. 2-3 weeks after this lunacy is over prices stabilize. Also depends on where u are. If your second hand market is flooded prices suffer.

20. macrumors 6502

Cause we really needed to Necro a 6 month old thread?