When to switch to Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by snorby, Jan 26, 2007.

  1. snorby macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 1, 2007
    #1
    Hi

    I've been a Linux user for years before switching to Mac OS, and I was wondering about the right time to switch to 10.5. With Linux, it is generally not a good idea to use a brand new kernel version (e.g. 2.8.0) since they are typically full of bugs, and it is wiser to wait for a few releases. Is it the same with Mac OS ? Let's say for instance that Leopard is made available in June, would it be wise to buy it as soon as it is sold or would it be better to wait for a few Updates (let's say Fall 2007 for example) in order to have a stable version available before making the switch ?
     
  2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

    EricNau

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2005
    Location:
    San Francisco, CA
    #2
    You'll probably want to wait until 10.5.1, which will probably come out about 3 to 4 weeks later.
     
  3. Cromulent macrumors 603

    Cromulent

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2006
    Location:
    The Land of Hope and Glory
    #3
    It depends on how critical stability is for you. If you are one of those people (like me) who enjoys being on the bleeding edge get it straight away. If stability is your top most priority wait until 10.5.1 or even 10.5.2 are released.
     
  4. mduser63 macrumors 68040

    mduser63

    Joined:
    Nov 9, 2004
    Location:
    Salt Lake City, UT
    #4
    I'll be installing Leopard on the day it's released. I did the same with Tiger and had exactly zero major problems. Can't really remember any specific minor problems either. There are a lot of people who wait until 10.x.1 or 10.x.2 are out, but IMO that's not really necessary unless you're using your Mac for something critical (ie. some people have carefully tuned workflows for work that they don't want broken).
     
  5. holamiamigos macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2006
    #5
    i can't see apple dropping the ball with the release
     
  6. MisterMe macrumors G4

    MisterMe

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2002
    Location:
    USA
    #6
    Whether or not you should upgrade depends on the applications that you use. I usually upgrade as soon as each new OS is available. I have never had a stability issue. The only issue is that some utilities may require upgrades. However, I usually want the new OS more than I need updated utilities. Check each of your applications' websites. If your applications are compatible with 10.5 or there are updates available for those that are not, then go ahead.

    Word to the wise: Disable your haxies if you have any installed.
     
  7. iBookG4user macrumors 604

    iBookG4user

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2006
    Location:
    Seattle, WA
    #7
    When I got Tiger it was on 10.4.3 and I had no issues with it, but I'll be upgrading to Leopard the day it comes out because of some of the features.
     
  8. islandman macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 13, 2006
    #8
    Get it on day 1 when it's released! Even if it has a few bugs, I don't imagine that any of them will be major.

    Of course you will have a full backup of your system, just in case...
     
  9. eluk macrumors 6502a

    eluk

    Joined:
    Dec 14, 2006
    Location:
    East London, UK
    #9
    Day one will be fine. There may be a few niggles but no more.
     
  10. Tymmz macrumors 65816

    Tymmz

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2005
    #10
    don't know yet, but I'm a bit scared of the update process. I just started using Macs when Tiger was released.
     
  11. snorby thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 1, 2007
    #11
    Thanks a lot for all the answers, I think I'll go for Leopard as soon as it is out (and the new iMac are out too as I plan to get 10.5 with a new machine).
     
  12. swwack91 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 28, 2007
    Location:
    New Jersey
    #12
    personally, i'm gonna wait a week after leopard is released. if there's any news of a major problem going on, i'll wait till 10.5.1 or 10.5.2. If there aren't any problems being talked about, i'm onboard!

    and figure - if i order the new system a week after the release, it'll take 2 weeks or so to get to me... so by time i have the new system all set up - 10.5.1 will prolly be being released shortly after i get it
     
  13. mark88 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2004
    #13
    I upgraded to Tiger on the day of launch and had no problems either.

    This isn't Windows Vista. I might wait a couple days to hear what happens to other people then install.
     
  14. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

    GoCubsGo

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2005
    #14
    At 5:37 PM on 3/20. That is 2 minutes after I get home on the day I think it's coming out. ;)
     
  15. zakatov macrumors 6502a

    zakatov

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2005
    Location:
    South Florida
    #15
    As soon as it comes out, of course. Apple Inc. is infallable... like gods
     
  16. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

    OldCorpse

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2005
    Location:
    compost heap
    #16
    Er, no.

    Not for me. I guess I'm gonna say something different from everyone here. Personally, I wouldn't set any time frame, or milestone like 10.5.1 or 10.5.x

    Instead, hold off until you hear reports back. Why? Because you may have many apps that will simply not work with the Leopard. I'd rather hear about how that's working before upending my system. So:

    1)First wait to hear about stability and any issues with Leopard. For example many Panther users were bit by bad firewire handling to where it hosed their external drives - nasty. Why take a risk? Wait for the all clear first. How long might that take? Who knows, but for sure you want to wait at least a few weeks so that enough people bought it on all kinds of systems so you have a large enough sample to get a good result. For example, I'm on an iBook - I'd like to hear from many other iBook users that Leopard works without issues for them... and that takes time.

    2)Get a list of your apps -especially those small ones which may no longer be supported by their developers. Scour all developer of your apps and general macsites to see if your particular software works under Leopard. Again, that can quite some time.

    3)Don't worry about WHEN you HAVE to upgrade... because odds are, you don't HAVE to. Is Tiger doing all you need? Then why upgrade? Is there something Leopard has that you covet? If not, why hurry? So far (without knowing the supposed "secret" features, Leopard doesn't sount too impressive as an upgrade).

    Some people even skip a point upgrade completely. I know some folks still on Panther (I'm not talking about the freaks still on OS9 :)), and they plan on waiting on whatever comes up after Leopard.

    Personally, I'll probably not upgrade to Leopard at all - barring something fantastic revealed about Leopard (those "secret features" :)). Why? Because I'm gonna buy another mac laptop sometime in 2008 or 2009 - and then I'll get whatever the operating system will be - whether 10.5 or 10.6 or whatnot that comes installed on my new hardware. So far, I'm underwhelmed by Leopard - from what little Apple said about it. YMMV.
     
  17. Father Jack macrumors 68020

    Father Jack

    Joined:
    Jan 1, 2007
    Location:
    Ireland
  18. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

    Soulstorm

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2005
    #18
    I'm going to buy it and install it on a separate partition. I will see what problems lie with it and I will decide when I will be going to upgrade my main disk.
     

Share This Page