Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

evanmav

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2011
Okay so I recently got an iPhone 4s and love it. I've had an ipod touch since forever so I'm fairly familiar with the system and everything. My question is though when I should be keeping wifi on and when i should be turning it off to maximize my battery life. Now I searched the forum and found out that using wifi will be better for battery life then using 3g. Now what im confused about is say im at home playing a game that requires no internet or 3g such as tiny wings or tetris, should I be turning wifi off and let my iphone use 3g since I wont be using internet then my phone wont be using the 3g. Im not sure if that makes sense but basically I want to know is if wifi uses more battery than 3g when NOT using the internet, is wifi using more battery just being connected then if wifi wasn't connected. Also another question is when I go to sleep at night and keep my iphone on should I turn the wifi off and keep just the 3g on? and then finally say Im going on a drive somewhere in my car should I turn the wifi off, I know I would be connected to 3g when driving but not sure if turning off the wifi will help the battery? Sorry if this is a newbie post im just confused as to when it would be more beneficial to just keep 3g on and when it would be better to just keep wifi on :D.

Senex

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2011
Northern Indiana, USA
Okay so I recently got an iPhone 4s and love it. I've had an ipod touch since forever so I'm fairly familiar with the system and everything. My question is though when I should be keeping wifi on and when i should be turning it off to maximize my battery life. Now I searched the forum and found out that using wifi will be better for battery life then using 3g. Now what im confused about is say im at home playing a game that requires no internet or 3g such as tiny wings or tetris, should I be turning wifi off and let my iphone use 3g since I wont be using internet then my phone wont be using the 3g. Im not sure if that makes sense but basically I want to know is if wifi uses more battery than 3g when NOT using the internet, is wifi using more battery just being connected then if wifi wasn't connected. Also another question is when I go to sleep at night and keep my iphone on should I turn the wifi off and keep just the 3g on? and then finally say Im going on a drive somewhere in my car should I turn the wifi off, I know I would be connected to 3g when driving but not sure if turning off the wifi will help the battery? Sorry if this is a newbie post im just confused as to when it would be more beneficial to just keep 3g on and when it would be better to just keep wifi on :D.

Honestly, the only time I hassle with turning WiFi on and off is when I'm specifically trying to conserve battery life because I know I need to for whatever reason. I tend to leave it on whether I'm connected to a hotspot or not.

But if you're just sitting at home playing a game, your phone is still periodically using the internet connection in the background to check mail and what have you. It's ultimately your choice. You will have slightly better battery life with WiFi turned off (when not connected--because it's listening for connections), but you might find it's less of a hassle to just leave it on.

When it all boils down, turning WiFi off will improve battery life, but it isn't going to drastically improve battery life to the tune of an added several hours of use or anything.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Back in the iPhone 3G days I used to turn it off when I left the house. It seemed to make a difference then.

But on every iPhone model since then I don't notice much difference. It's not worth the hassle of doing it anymore. The gains you get by doing it are so small it's not worth having to remember to switch off and on twice a day.

I turn it off when I go on vacation and I know I won't be near my own wifi for several days, but that's mostly because I hate when it joins airport and hotel networks and then tells me I need to pay for them.

But on normal days I just leave it on.

panerista

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Only time I turn it off is when I connect to a wireless network that turns out really slow

DuckSoup

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2008
Upstate Central NY
I always have mine on at home. Usually have it off when away from home, but I forget sometimes. I do not like to leave it on when away as I do not like it to automatically connect to a free network that I've connected to before intentionally.

Mike

TWD98j

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2010
When I had the 3GS I would turn 3G off and turn WiFi on when I was at home or in a decent WiFi zone for a good period of time. Naturally, when I'd leave home (or the WiFi area) I would turn WiFi off and turn 3G on.

Now, on my 4S, since there is no more "Enable 3G" switch, when I'm home, I turn cellular data off and turn WiFi on. Likewise, when I leave, I turn cellular data on and turn WiFi off.

Peteman100

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2011
Berkeley, CA
Yep, leave it on, like everyone has been saying. I only turn it off during trips when I know I'll be without a wifi connection for several days.

himynameiscody

macrumors 6502a
Oct 9, 2011
i keep mine off because only place i'd use is at home. from what i hear wifi will be faster and save battery. but if wre i am does't have wifi...by turning it off am i saving much battery? also aren't most wirless' have password protection

----------

I always have mine on at home. Usually have it off when away from home, but I forget sometimes. I do not like to leave it on when away as I do not like it to automatically connect to a free network that I've connected to before intentionally.

Mike
is that bad?

----------

When it all boils down, turning WiFi off will improve battery life, but it isn't going to drastically improve battery life to the tune of an added several hours of use or anything.

i figured off would = more battery life, for the most part. unless you're around a hot spot the entire time...

is wifi typically always faster than 3g

evanmav

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

Okay thanks for the replies guys. It seems like it would be too much of a hassle to constantly be worrying about it so I'll just leave it on :D

DuckSoup

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2008
Upstate Central NY
iis that bad?

Well, I admit I am naive on the topic, but I fear that perhaps a free network could be a source for nefarians to abuse it and steal information. So when I DO connect to a free network on purpose, I am somewhat careful with what I do on that network. I just do not want to automatically re-connect to non-home, non-work networks.

I am sure some experts know a lot more on this than me.

aphexacid

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Chicago
I used to keep mine on all the time. But now i only turn on wifi when my 3G connection is slow, like if i'm out somewhere with not so great signal.

I have unlimited data, might as well use it.

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
I turn it off when I leave for work and on when I get home. I don't have access at work so what's the point. When I'm running around though there are lots of free wifi points so it's on. if you know you don't have wifi for extended time might as well turn off. However onthe days I forgot not much difference in the battery.

Senex

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2011
Northern Indiana, USA
is wifi typically always faster than 3g

Typically, but this can vary if the WiFi is the gateway to a terribly slow internet connection in the first place. My 3G connection will usually give me about 4 Mbps down and 1.5 Mbps up ...while my WiFi/home internet connection will yield 30-40 Mbps down and 10-15 Mbps up.

pilot1226

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
USA
It could be a security issue if you connect to a free access point. I'm not sure if the iPhone connects automatically to an unprotected SSID. There might be an option like Connect Automatically that you could disable, I'm not sure. I have an old iPod Touch that's running iOS 3.

Personally I leave the wifi on all the time and connect as necessary on my BB.

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
I turn it off when I start to wonder off to the edges of a wifi network and my web pages, iMessages, etc. start to slow down because it keeps trying to use wifi...other than that I leave it on now. I used to turn it off allot, but I've had my iPhone for a year now and it gets less use (don't worry I still love it ;) ) since I'm on my MBP more often now for a variety of reasons.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I leave it on normally. Turn off the ask to join new networks.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Only time I turn it off is when I connect to a wireless network that turns out really slow

That. And when traveling and don't want to join untrusted networks.

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI
I leave mine on all the time, even though I don't have wifi access at work. It's just a hassle to turn it on and off all the time. Then again, I'm probably one of the few that leave Bluetooth on all the time, too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.