When traveling with a laptop case, which way should I put my laptop into the bag?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by unsmashed, Jul 19, 2007.

1. macrumors newbie

I just got done doing a week of traveling, constantly packing and unpacking my laptop into my laptop bag. It got me to thinking, which way is better for the laptop to be up, while in the laptop bag.

Imagine a laptop bag standing up - would you put the hinge of the laptop (where the keyboard and screen meet) at the top of the bag - or would you put the hinge at the bottom of the bag?

The vent is near the hinge - so having the vent in a place where it could breathe is probably the best spot.

What do you think?

2. macrumors Core

MacNut

I go hinge down, It doesn't matter about the vents as the thing is sleeping and not producing heat.

3. macrumors regular

I go hinge up/out. I like to grab it at the back because on my iBook it has less give than at the front and I don't feel like I'm smwashing the screen.

4. macrumors 6502

I travel with mine hinge up and out that way I grab the back of my MBP when pulling it out of my bag.

5. macrumors 65816

Sbrocket

I can't think of any reason that it would matter from a protection point-of-view, though feel free to correct me if you can think of one. A proper case for it should protect the laptop in any orientation. If the laptop has enough room to move around in the padding, you need a new case. Movement in the padding is the only possible reason I can think for the hinge positioning mattering, and even that's iffy.

I put my laptop in hinge up and with the Apple logo facing the back of my messenger bag+Brain Cell case so I can pull it out straight and just set it down without flipping it to get the orientation right or anything.

6. thread starter macrumors newbie

Sometimes I put the laptop into the bag hot - I would imagine having the hinge / vent up at that point would provide some benefit in letting the heat continue to escape

7. macrumors 6502a

I would say put it on the INSIDE of the bag. :) I never really cared too much how I put it in, but I tend to put the rear down.

8. macrumors 65816

fab5freddy

i bought a see thru sealing for my MBP 15". It makes it so much
    easier to grab out of your bag. With the factory make of the MBP, it slips out of your hand very easily. It is this helicopter wing protectant that i bought from Tekserve in NYC. It cost $ 40. forgot the name of it....