When updating OS, do you need to re-install programs?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by stabby, Mar 28, 2007.

1. stabby macrumors newbie

Mar 21, 2007
    Sorry if this is a dumb question. :)
    I got my new macbook pro last night, my FIRST Macintosh. (woo-hoo)
    So now I'm going through the setup, downloading updates and am about ready to start installing programs, but I'm wondering: when I decide to upgrade to Leopard when it is released, will I need to re-install everything, or does Apple intigrate all that?

You know, changing OS on a Windows PC was a HUGE ordeal: create backups, re-format harddrive, install OS, download drivers, re-install programs, re-install all back-up files.. Is it like this on a Mac? If so I'll just 'take it easy' and not install everything I don't immediatly need so I don't have to do it all over again in two months...

2. netdog macrumors 603

Feb 6, 2006
    You shouldn't need to reinstall programs if you do an upgrade install.

Be aware that it is possible that Leopard will break some of your programs and peripherals until software and drivers are updated. Hopefully not, but it is always a possibility with a major upgrade to a new OS.
  3. Shadow macrumors 68000

Feb 17, 2006
    Keele, United Kingdom
    Just to clarify this, it sounds very "Windows-like" but there's a good reason for it. Because the upgrade versions of Mac OS X (the current one is Mac OS X v10.4.9 Tiger) such as Mac OS X 10.4.x to Mac OS X 10.5.x work is drastically different ways, some applications will loose compatibility. After this, you will need to wait for the developers to upgrade their apps to work with the new version of the OS. Having said that, most apps will work straight away with no issues (especially ones such as iTunes, QuickTime, and many other "small" apps, its usually to bigger ones that have the problems).
  4. stabby thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 21, 2007
    Hmm I see. thanks.
    So most likely applications like the adobe creative suite and final cut studio will need a seperate update or patch before they'll run on Leopard? And after Leopard is released, will the software sold be compatiable? Like, if I held off on buying somehting like Aperture until after Leopard's release would it be more stable?
  5. dr_lha macrumors 68000

Oct 8, 2003
    As iTunes and Quicktime come with the OS, its very likely that Leopard will install new versions of those programs anyway. I imagine for one, Leopard will introduce Quicktime 8.

However for most upgrade options, apps will remain intact afterwards, however its always a good idea to perform a backup of your computer before a backup if you can.
  6. MisterMe macrumors G4

Jul 17, 2002
    MacOS X is not Windows. That the OS may break one or more of your current apps is a possibility, but it is not likely. There is also the possibility that it may break one or more of your device drivers. However, that it not likely either. The vast majority of users who upgrade from MacOS X 10.4 to MacOS X 10.5 will have no issues at all.
  7. clevin macrumors G3

Aug 6, 2006
    if you do an upgrade of your windows, u don't need to creat backups, re-format harddrives at all, right?

for OSX, there is a post: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=291628 where most ppl seem to like "creat backups, re-format harddrives, and install OS" anyway, lol
  8. vohdoun macrumors 65816

Jan 23, 2006
    Far away from Earth.
    Didn't something like this happen with Adobe from Panther to Tiger with CS1? I remember years ago reading about it with Illustrator or Photoshop breaking with the upgrade from OS to OS.