when using your ipod has a harddrive to upload music library...

Discussion in 'iPod' started by olivia, Jul 26, 2006.

1. olivia macrumors member

hey everyone, i just got a new mac (my first!) and want to upload my music library onto it without having to make a million and a half cds. i know that you can use your ipod as a harddrive and move your library in that way, but i had a couple questions.

i have a couple new songs on my itunes on my mac (free downloads etc) and i was wondering if they would be erased when i upload my own music library onto this computer.

also, is there another easier way to do this? i would just do the harddrive thing but i don't have enough space on my dell to copy and consolidate my music library and i've been erasing things all day.

thanks!

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

1. Plug your iPod into your old computer and go to the iPod preferences.

2. Set your iPod to "Manually Manage Songs and Playlists"

3. Download Senuti to your new Mac.

4. Plug your iPod into your Mac, open Senuti and you can now copy all your songs, playlists, smart playlists etc over to your Mac without deleting them from your iPod or writing over your Mac's music library.

5. Once everything is copied over you have a choice
    - you can leave it Windows formatted and set to manually update, by doing this you can use it as an external HDD on both Macs and PCs and also be able to plug it into any of your friends' computers. You will need to use a Windows PC to do iPod firmware updates though. Other than that, Windows iPods and Macs play fine together.​

OR

- once you are satisfied that everything has been copied over you can reformat the iPod to Mac, you won't be able to use it now with any Windows machines but you will be able to update the firmware directly from your Mac.​

Any questions?

3. olivia thread starter macrumors member

wow great thanks!

my only question is, how do you reformat the ipod to "mac"?

4. apunkrockmonk macrumors 6502a

apunkrockmonk

Go to Applications > Utilities > iPod Software Updater > iPod Updater XXXX-XX-XX

Then "restore" it to its factory settings.

Enjoy the mac life.

5. HeYeahThat1Guy macrumors newbie

first off, I'd just like to say you ROCK. It took me forever to find a program that could do that. I just got my macbook pro two days ago, and I'm in love basically. I thought I was excited about my iPod! hahaha but I have a question; I restored my iPod and I'm trying to re-load my songs onto it, but it told me that one of the songs that I actually BOUGHT from iTunes couldn't be downloaded because I didn't have permission on this computer. How do I fix that?