when was the first time u ever used a mac?

Discussion in 'Community' started by SilvorX, Sep 16, 2002.

how old were u when u first used a mac

1. >5

8 vote(s)
  2. 6-10

11 vote(s)
  3. 11-15

20 vote(s)
  4. 16-20

6 vote(s)
  5. 20-25

3 vote(s)
  6. older than 25

3 vote(s)
  7. havent used a mac yet

1 vote(s)
  1. SilvorX macrumors 68000

May 24, 2002
    'Toba, Canada
    how old were u when used a mac for the first time? did u get addicted instantly or did it take years?

well for me, ive been using macs since i was like 5, and didnt start like them till bout 2000 with OSX and the simplicity of the iMac (all in one design) and i was thinking bout getting an imac the day we got our cruddy HPee puter with winblowz 98 (i believe win 2k came out a few months after), and the day we first used it, it already started to crash lol, first the cd rom drive locking the screen...then bsods...
    but now i might be getting a powermac (hopefully) in nov :D
  2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    i think it must have been in highscool - 80 or 81, pre Macintosh - one of the old Apple II - but I'm not sure which one. Saw a Lisa in 83 at college. That was interesting.

3. King Cobra macrumors 603

Mar 2, 2002
    I started working with text and drawing documents on my father's Apple IIgs before I was 10. Those were the days...

Appleworks 1.x.x
    System 6.0.x
    Floppy drives
  4. diorio macrumors 6502a

Aug 22, 2002
    I actually haven't used a mac yet. I'm going to get one after i pay off my car. Durandal7 keeps trying to convince me to get one, and I've heard there good, so I'll probably buy one soon.
  5. eric_n_dfw macrumors 65816

Jan 2, 2002
    DFW, TX, USA
    Hate'd 'em until they bought NeXT

I was a Commie 64 geek and then an Amiga bigot from Middle-School on up 'till college. We had a bunch of brand-spankin' new Mac Plus's and SE/20's at my high school (Shadow Mountain High in PHX in case any other Matidor's are out there! :) ) as well as a bunch of Apple IIgs's.

My Amiga 500 ran circles around 'em but that's a whole 'nother rant :rolleyes:
  6. barkmonster macrumors 68020

Dec 3, 2001
    14 years old on high school work experience.

My career's been based on macs and dtp/graphic design since I left school apart from periods of bordom inducing office work.

I remember we had these wierd little computers in primary school but they could have been apricot or archamedes computers.

I remember when I first used a mac, I got hold of teradesk and MiNT for my Atari ST as soon as I could afterwards because I wanted a better GUI :D
  7. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

Jan 2, 2001
    Metairie, LA
    I first used a Mac when I was 18 years old. I was taking a Computer Graphics class and they were running 6100's at the time (or so I believe they were)...something like 70MHz...slow as hell. This was all very pre-G3 of course.
  8. bombensington macrumors regular

Aug 24, 2002
    summer school, 2nd grade into 3rd, playing oregon trail all summer long. oh yeah.
  9. vniow macrumors G4

Jul 18, 2002
    I accidentally my whole location.
    Damn, I don't even remember. I probably didn't even realize it was a Mac when I first used one. I guess is was somewhere inbetween 11-15, but I'm not sure. I do remember I built my first computer though, which through many incarnations, is doing me well to this day. :)
  10. King Cobra macrumors 603

Mar 2, 2002
    >I was taking a Computer Graphics class and they were running 6100's at the time

Nothing like a 60 or 66.7MHz processor, huh?

Was System 7 a pain in the you know what?

BTW: Did you ever have to hear the dreaded car crash death chime? :eek:

Attached Files:

11. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

Jan 14, 2002
    South Dakota, USA
    Hey I teach and I still have one old PowerMac 6100/66 in my room, they gave all the rest away and now our school is all PC like most have and are going. Yes it might be slow, but actually it runs much quicker then a Pentium Pro 120 that I have in the room. Now that is a DOG on Windows 98. My computer is a 550 Celeron at my desk, the best I have in the room. It is nice to go home to my Macs....
  12. peterjhill macrumors 65816

Apr 25, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    I used the original Macintosh when it first came out. Before that I used:
    Apple II
    Apple IIe
    Apple IIc
    Apple III
    Apple IIgs
    Apple Lisa

So I have been there for a while.
  13. G5orbust macrumors 65816

Jun 14, 2002
    well, im probably the youngest one posting in this thread. I started using macs when i was one years old (maybe 2). Around early 1990. I never rele did much cuz it was my brother's computer. But, my first major mac learning experience was our old preforma. it was great and it got me completely hooked on macs. I was about 8 when we got it and we just recently gave it away. Since i stopped using the preforma (it was my other borther's computer) ive had two different macs. One blueberry 333 imac and my current 933 G4 tower.
  14. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

Jul 22, 2002
    Toledo, OH, formerly Twin Cities, MN
    Gawd I remember that game. It was the original one...the second one I tryed out in 6th grade I think...i'm not sure when, but I liked the hunting part of it.

Oh yeah, I used macs in 6th grade, then to 8th grade when the schools switched to PCs. The university has new dual gigs with the 17" display...me likes.
  15. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Jan 9, 2002
    Ha ha haaa!
    I started out using a good ol' Mac Plus in 1986 (5 years old).

BTW.... technically >5 is "greater than 5". :p

My Oregon Trail claim to fame: "What would you like your tombstone to say?"

For years to come, students that happened by my tombstone would find the epitaph "Pepperoni, Mushrooms, and Sausage." :D Ahh, those were the days...
  16. G5orbust macrumors 65816

Jun 14, 2002
    Mine (on my friend's old skool computer) say: stiff at last
    My ones at my old, elemetray skool (if they still have the origional) say: RIP (pretty lame but remember we had to keep it clean and i was, what, 8 when i played it?)
  17. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    high school...1979...apple II...but it didn't do that much for me

when i saw the original macintosh boxes, then i really was blown away by the possibilities

then came the G3, wow, who would ever need more power than that? and with 128 MB of RAM and more than a couple gigs of hard drive space...it just blew me away at the time
  18. jadariv macrumors regular

Sep 11, 2002
    Probably third or fourth grade '79-'80 (Apple II and IIE). Got to play with the first mac the first week it was introduced. My uncle worked for the first apple dealer in nebraska so the whole family was buying apples from him since '81.

Gave apple up for most of the 90's mostly because of work until i moved out to l.a. in '99 and started doing special effects and computer graphics. now my tibook is my best friend.

wow, first post.
  19. Scottgfx macrumors 6502

Feb 26, 2002
    Fort Myers, FL
    I remember seeing an original Mac in `84

Here in the backwater called Fort Myers, my brother and I played with a Macintosh back in 1984. I would have been 14 at the time. I was using an Atari 800 that I had only owned for about a year. You could say that I started kind of late with computers. I remember lusting after the new Atari ST machines but later got into Amigas at my high school. It wasn't until late 1988 that I messed with another Mac, A MacII at the local college. I also had to work on an IBM PS/2 Model 60 in the Art office. Aparently, the professor was personal friends with some people at IBM, I could never get him to look at the Amiga.

I have to echo what someone else here said. The Amiga in it's day was a heck of lot cooler than the Macs back then. It wasn't until the PPC and my introduction to Photoshop 2.5 that I was sold on the Mac. I still have a lot of Amiga hardware if anyone here is interested. :) OpalVision? DCTV? EGS Spectrum? TV-Paint? *Sigh* it suddenly seems like such a long time ago. Gosh... I can remember a time when there were no less than 4 different computer platforms!!!!
  20. mac15 macrumors 68040

Dec 29, 2001
    back in 2000, when I won my imac in a paddle-pop contest, one of the lucky ones

I wanted to sell it to buy a PC cause they guy at the store said steer clear of macs and they can't run anything, so lucky I didn't :D
  21. mac15 macrumors 68040

Dec 29, 2001
    wait that was my first owned mac, I used one in Kindie, it had a green screen and it was awesome, big 5 inch floppies as games, those were the days, and that was 11 years ago then our school got PCs with Windows 3.1
  22. SilvorX thread starter macrumors 68000

May 24, 2002
    'Toba, Canada
    lol i remember u talking bout that months ago...so u converted to mac basically :p, n now u own your G4 imac...too bad u sold your other imac...
  23. MacBandit macrumors 604

Aug 9, 2002
    Springfield, OR (Home of the Simpsons)
    We had a bunch of Mac+ back in 5th grade that would have had to been 1988 or 1989. So yes I've been using them for a while. Anyone here remember the turtle?
  24. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

Oct 30, 2001
    London, UK
    My Apple history.

My family bought an Apple ][e back in 1983 when I first started High School. It was what we used in Comp. Science class, so it was easy to do my Pascal programming homework (remember that? Ha!).

One day a few years later, our Comp. Sci. teacher bought in a small beige box - it was the first Mac I'd seen, and it was beautiful. With 128K and a built-in monitor, it was streets ahead of the competition. The graphics were crisp and clear, and it used these new-fangled hard-encased floppy disks. Wow. And MS Flight Simulator was by FAR the best game I had ever seen - on ANY platform - at the time.

In 1986, I went to Auckland University on a day trip, to sit my Goethe Society German Exam with a few classmates also taking German. Whilst waiting around at the end of the exam for the School bus, a few of us decided to look at the Computer Labs at the Uni. And as far as the eye could see, there stretched an endless chain of Macs. And, in a seperate room just as well-protected from the students here as the one at our school, was a Mac IIfx - the most powerful granddaddy of them all - at the time.

We were in heaven. And I had to get one.

So, in the same year, I went out and bought my first Mac - a 512KE w/ dual 800K disk drives. The best thing I could get - at the time.

Now, 3 Macs later, I'm onto the Cube - by far, my favourite machine. With 768Mb, and a beautiful 15" LCD Digital Display, it can do things that we couldn't have imagined back in 1984. So now, it runs all the latest software with ease, it's stylish and it I couldn't get a better machine - at the time...

...but I'll never get rid of it.

25. Jays macrumors member

Feb 4, 2002
    At the age of 11 I got a present from my dad, it was a Commador Vic20, (most of you are too young to remember) wow I spend hours on that thing, hooked up to my tv (no monitor).

At the age of 12 I took a course to learn Basic, also on the Vic20 the day I finished the course that school got some Apple Lisa computers and I fell in love, took a course for Pascal and since always been working on a Mac.