When was the last time you had a virus (if at all)?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by mproud, May 13, 2003.

1. mproud macrumors regular

Mar 3, 2003
    "Um... what's a virus?"

This is what I end up saying to people who ask me about new viruses, virus software, etc. 'Cause honestly, I don't have to give a damn about it.

So one of my net admins sent out an email about some new virus that infects computers through KaZaa, IRC, AND AIM! AAAHHH!! OMG-OMG! PANNNIC!!!!

Ha - Windows suckers!

(excuse me) Anyway, can you remember the last time your Mac was infected by a virus? If so, which virus and describe the situation. If not, perhaps you can elaborate why you've been virus-free.

Personally, I have never been infected with any viruses. This is my third generation computer ('89 MacSE, '95 PPC Performa, '00 G4 tower) and I don't feel the need to buy any anti-virus software, as a testament to my computer's security (or simply because virus authors only write viruses for PCs).
  2. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Jan 22, 2003
    In your head.
    On my iBook, once and only once, and it was placed there deliberately. Luckily Ajax (a free anti-virus program) took care of it.

I know you wan't Mac knolege- but add this only to show how a virus can ruin a day, week, or more.

At work (mostly PCs), well here we had a lot of problems. Our CEO managed to click on an OL virus that shut the servers down for a good 3 days. The email system is still not working well. Locally, about an hour after it happened, a co-worker asked what I was doing. I told her about the network anomalies. "Well I accidentally clicked on an email and I think it was a virus." We were completely flickered. Across the network routers I saw the lights flicker, one by one the computers were being infected with a number of viruses, including Klez. It took a day to clean out everything. We lost some data, but luckily the SNAP servers were not hit. Neither were the Mac's.

My belief is that virus software needn't run in the background 24/7. It can't hurt to have it and to have it check downloads, or to have it on hand when something goes wrong. My suggestion is do progressive back ups once a week. At least then, you can restore your work.

Though it wasn’t on a Mac, getting a particularly nasty virus is a pain in the rear. That day was one of the worst days I have ever had at work. We run a tighter ship now, and we are all the happier for it.

The Mac's tend to be virus free for 2 reasons. There aren't a lot of Mac viruses out there, and most Mac users trash anything that looks suspicious. Mac's are still vulnerable to malicious Java, JavaScript, VB, and other macros- if you use them, but it's a low threat level. If your kids are loading apps. that your not familiar with, then you could be at risk also. I think that the AIM viruses are hoaxes, as for the Kaza and file share programs, there is a risk.
  3. hesdeadjim macrumors regular

Jul 17, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Once on my old iMac. I'm actually not sure if it was a virus, but at the time I didn't know enough about Macs to do some troubleshooting. I think that an installer screwed up my sytem folder or something. Anyway, I'm the only Mac user I've ever know to have one, so I guess we have a good track record.
  4. noel4r macrumors 6502a

Jul 17, 2002
    Los Angeles
  5. Giaguara macrumors 6502a

Nov 22, 2002
    i get a virus in media every 2 weeks in email. a windoze virus. :p

thanx to the "nice" friends that have broadband net, windoze peecee, no antivirus software, that click on every .pif and .exe anyone sends them ... and that use outlook and addressbook of windoze. :mad:

i normally fwd them to f-secure to know what viruses they are. and then forward them to one mac user friend who collects windoze viruses. :)

a mac or *x virus? NEVER seen.
  6. Simon Liquid macrumors regular

Jul 4, 2001
    I got a virus off of a Mac 512 that the grandmother of a friend of mine had sitting in her closet. That's the only virus for a Mac I've ever encountered.
  7. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

May 2, 2003
    Home of Al-Qaida
    Last time I check, windows 3.11 at my high school computer lab got infected by virus 'cause people where uploading all sorts of crap onto the HD. But personally, I've never ran into any virus on my PC (from DOS 6.1 to WinXP Pro) or Mac (OS 7.6 to Jaguar). And no, I'm not obsessed about virus scanning. I do that w/ AVG about once every quarter. Actually, I don't remember when's the last time I did a virus scan.
  8. MrMacMan macrumors 604

Jul 4, 2001
    1 Block away from NYC.
    Os 9, with my 233 iMac.

I got a word macro virus that (somehow) knew I was a mac user and downloaded a mac virus... :eek:

Stoped my comp from running for about 2 days... none so far in Os X.
  9. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Apr 18, 2003
    Had a virus last week. Think it was from that guy coughing emphatically in the elevator. Thank god for Dayquil. :D
  10. guitargeek macrumors regular

Feb 20, 2003
    I'll be honest. I've never personally gotten a virus, even when I ran Windows ME, then XP, with no virus protection. That being said, however, everyone around me has gotten virii on multiple occassions. My dad got a particuarly nasty one when he was still running Win95, and it shut down the whole machine. I mean, nothing was salvagable. Actually, looking back, I think that happened twice.

My grandmother gets them CONSTANTLY, and I can't figure out how. She even has anti-virus, yet, every time I go over there for computer stuff (about every two weeks), I run a scan and find 10-15 new viruses. The scanner always says it gets rid of them all, but now I'm not so sure. I mean, hell, she doesn't even get e-mail AT ALL, nevermind something that could be infected.

My girlfriend had a few that completely killed her computer. Best of all, when I went to reformat it, the Dell Recue Disk DID NOT HAVE WINDOWS ON IT, despite the label of the disk saying, "This disk contains all neccesary software, including your operatin system". She called up Dell about it, but they just told her she was SOL. She's now a happy Mandrake linux user :D

Anyways, since I'm now running linux, the chances of catching a virus are very slim. How many viruses are there for linux? 5? :p
  11. janey macrumors 603

Dec 20, 2002
    sunny los angeles
    actually i've only gotten like 10 viruses...all on my PC. I still have yet to get a virus on any of my Macs.
  12. gerror macrumors 6502

Oct 25, 2001
    Never had one. I raised my parents very well with their pc :)
    We had only one on that machine
  13. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

Jun 25, 2001
    Moneyapolis, Minnesota
    i had a floppy full of mac viruses back around OS 6...probably prior to that even. they were actually funny viruses that would show you they were messing stuff up, like godzilla running across the screen and everything on the screen crumbling...that one for sure just deleted random stuff from your hard drive. it was great!
  14. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

Jan 2, 2001
    Metairie, LA
    The only thing I've ever encountered remotely close to a virus was the Worm Virus some years back. There was a Worm Remover application we used to run in the computer labs at school for this.
  15. tjwett macrumors 68000

May 6, 2002
    Brooklyn, NYC
    in all my years of Mac use (about 15) i've never had a single virus, worm, or other infectious bug in any Mac i've owned. lately i'll get an occasional email that has a virus-infected attachment in it and i'll just laugh and throw it in the trash.
  16. toughboy macrumors 6502a

May 2, 2003
    Izmir, Turkey

It was a worm, i do not remember the name..
    I was downloading program files from Kazaa and the Norton Antivirus just found the virus!!

Actually, I didn't panic.. :D because if there are two things that I believe in my peecee, they are my backups and Norton!.. :)

what i'd recommend is, buy a superdrive, and backup your files onces 2 months... and do not afraid of viruses... in the film "The Score", Robert DeNiro said something like : "If there is someone who made this case, there is someone to brake it!" ;)
  17. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    One. way back on my Mac SE, i did it deliberately to test out SAM (remember that?)...

even back then, symantec was on the ball... it caught it perfectly.

18. shadowfax macrumors 603

Sep 6, 2002
    Houston, TX
    I had one once on my PC, just a little trojan horse thing. nothing major.
  19. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

Jan 5, 2003
  20. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Sep 22, 2002
    New York
    I have never got a virus. Never ever ever.

Edit: If anyone saw my totally irrelevant post before it was because I wanted to post a new thread, but got caught up in reading this one. I'll post my new thread elsewhere. :)
  21. Gus macrumors 65816

Jan 1, 2002
    My Performa 405 contracted the Melissa virus many years ago. That's it. After all these years, just the one. I love it.

22. deryk macrumors regular

Feb 18, 2003
    Four on my windoze.

About a year ago a friend said she received a virus from my iMac on her peecee. I loaded the most current virus software and found nothing. Everytime she receives an email from me, her virus software states that it's infected. I send emails to my work computer and its virus protection program never detects anything.

I've never had a problem with viruses on my macs. Though I bet this would be different if we had 90% or more of the computer market.
  23. deryk macrumors regular

Feb 18, 2003
    Four on my windoze.

About a year ago a friend said she received a virus from my iMac on her peecee. I loaded the most current virus software and found nothing. Everytime she receives an email from me, her virus software states that it's infected. I send emails to my work computer and its virus protection program never detects anything.

I've never had a problem with viruses on my macs. Though I bet this would be different if we had 90% or more of the computer market.
  24. MacCoaster macrumors 6502a

Jul 15, 2002
    Washington, DC / Rochester, NY / Lexington, NC
    None on my Windows XP, nor on 2000, box ever, even with Outlook 2003, etc etc. I had several with Windows 95/98 which Norton simply detected. One time Norton didn't detect one, and I had to fix it manually since I knew where the usual places are. Pre-OS 9 and Windows-9x series are horrible for viruses. I'll admit OS X is better for virus, since no one really writes a virus, however, one could make command script to really fsck your drive if you accidently run it under root. That's why we have "non-administrator" users on modern multitasking, multiuser operating systems such as UNIX, Windows NT, etc. If one viruses impacts a normal user, it shouldn't hit the entire computer, just that certain user. (a bit off topic) I wonder if other server software for other server OS than Windows Server 2003 has something like "Volume Shadow Copy." That is an awesome feature and is worth the extra space they hold because you can save multiple copies of the same thing as backups. If your local copy happens to be virus-infected, just download the one you saved on the server. Or delete that file, you can restore it from the server. If anyone knows, please let me know.

I guess I'm just a knowledgeable computer user in general.
  25. thechairman macrumors newbie

May 17, 2003
    Dose M$ Office count as a Virus? lol. We have to use MSO 98 at our school God is it slow and boy do we have the freeze ups. But in my home desktop, my iMac never had a virus. As for my parents....we got both of our computers at the same time, just a few months apart. In there first year of having there "PC" they had about 10 viruses. There were many-a-days spending trying to whip the C drive and reinstall Windows. I could have used that time to...actually get somthing done on my Mac.