When Will 15" Powerbooks Be Upgraded?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Rezet, Apr 26, 2003.

1. Rezet macrumors 6502a

Rezet

Hey Folks,

I was looking to buy a powerbook these days. 12" seems too small and 17" too big for me. So I figured I'd take 15".
    But I've heard that 15" might get upgraded soon since they still use that old SDRAM rather than DDR.
    Do you guy know when they will upgrade 15" powerbooks? And what will they upgrade?
    Even if you don't know for sure, maybe you could post you educated guess?

Thanx,

-Rez.

2. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

I'd say the entire PowerBook line will get updated in July.

The 15" will/should get:
    1. Aluminum casing to replace the Ti.
    2. AirPort Extreme.
    3. Built-in Bluetooth.
    4. DDR.
    5. Better graphics card.
    6. FireWire 800.

3. DHagan4755 macrumors 6502a

DHagan4755

I've heard "soon" so many times, I'm going to puke. July sounds too far off. If they aren't updated by the end of May, then they will be updated at WWDC - which is as close to July as you can get. It would seem like the most appropriate venue given the change that has gone on with Mac World in New York...

4. Pismo macrumors 6502

Pismo

July maybe

It seems like the right time frame for the new 15.4" AluBook. The 1 GHz 15.2" TiBook was introduced in November and it will be ready for a much needed update in July. That's good news for me because my 400 MHz Pismo is on its last leg and it's time to upgrade:D

5. NavyIntel007 macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

Re: July maybe

Your pismo had legs??? WOW!!!

Sorry it's like 2:16 AM.

6. Snowy_River macrumors 68030

Snowy_River

Wow, I was going to post a thread almost exactly like this one. You see, it's my birthday today!! :D

I have the money, and now I just have to wait for Apple to release the updated 15" PowerBook, so I can buy my birthday present.

I would really like it if it was released by the WWDC. (I'd like it even more if it was released at WWDC with a 970 processor :D, but, don't worry, I'll still be happy if it isn't upped to a 970 yet. I just want my new PBook!)

7. DHagan4755 macrumors 6502a

DHagan4755

Happy Birthday Snowy River!

I think you may have to buy a substitute birthday present.

It seems as though the PowerBook 15" will be updated in about 9 weeks or so.

8. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

No speed bump, no backlit keyboard, no 970. Everything else upgraded is legit enough for people to buy a new 15". Wait a year if you really want a 970 (and be sure you know exactly what the 970 will do for you.)

9. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

i was just reading the thread "970 in 15" Powerbook?" here in the Hardware rumors forum.

someone there mentioned that the holdup for Apple not updating the PowerBooks is that they are waiting on ATI to release the 9600. they will apparently be available in volume in May. Apple (supposedly) already has all of the promotion stuff ready and are just waiting on the 9600.

if this is true then they should be out in May sometime. hope the 15" gets a backlit keyboard! :D

10. Snowy_River macrumors 68030

Snowy_River

Thanks!

And, don't worry, I'm going to buy one of the new iPods that get released tomorrow to hold me over. Then, when the new 15" PBs are released (be it in a couple weeks, or nine - ugh - weeks) I'll get one of them.

Looking forward to it, either way...

11. Moe macrumors regular

Yeah, and the M10 will be available with 128MB onboard, but I doubt Apple would upstage the 17" with it.

12. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Number 5 is debateable, but it should look a lot like a 15" version of PowerBook 17.

The only question is the date, May-July looks like the period, but it's all down to whether SJ is going to announce it at the next event or announce the number of DDR PB15 units shipped.

But the death of OS 9 in June, should allow some product line contraction (ie getting rid of some of the legacy systems.)

13. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

i saw somewhere a roadmap for future PowerBook releases. i can't remember where i saw it now, but it looked to be good. it showed the 15" PB getting upgraded in May sometime, then the 17" and 12" together about a month or so later. there was an explaination for this way of updating...

14. BWhaler macrumors 68020

BWhaler

If it's July, I'll cry. (and trust me, that's not a pretty site.)

I've been waiting since MWSF, and I think mid-May will be my breaking point. I hate to say it, but after mid-May, I'll take a look at the Centrinos which are about a grand less...I know that's terrible, but my current machine is on it's last legs.

Come on Apple. Get with the program.