Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FF_productions

macrumors 68030
Apr 16, 2005
Mt. Prospect, Illinois
does anybody even have an idea how much 8 core will cost...3300? ideas?just ideas don flip out here ppl:D :cool:

IMO, I think it's going to be the same base price, with the 8-core processor as an option.

So it would go like this: 4-core 2 ghz, 2.66 ghz, 3ghz and then the 8-core processor (more expensive than the 3 ghz). It's a strange concept but I don't think that's a bad idea.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
I Think $4,700 With 8-10GB of RAM Inside Will Be A Fair Guess

IMO, I think it's going to be the same base price, with the 8-core processor as an option.

So it would go like this: 4-core 2 ghz, 2.66 ghz, 3ghz and then the 8-core processor (more expensive than the 3 ghz). It's a strange concept but I don't think that's a bad idea.
While I agree the 8 core will be an added option to the top, I think they'll drop the 2GHz model, lower the prices of the 2.66GHz and 3GHz Quads while bringing in the 2.66GHz 8 core at around $3499 base. But by the time you trick it out with four 2GB sticks of third party RAM ($1100-$1200) - total 10GB including Apple's new base of two 1GB sticks - you should expect to have about $4,700 into it before you start adding hard drives. Plus sales tax of course. So just over $5,000 total worst case deal. :)

Lord Nerdos

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2007
Osaka
Core whore

I had a 2.66 QUAD on order and then cancelled it (I hope the money gets back into my account safely...:D ) I figure that 8-core mac pros have to be coming out very soon. NAB, or WWDC at the latest.
I hope they offer a mid-range 8-core model, though I would imagine that the 8-core models would have a hefty price premium. If I were selling them, I certainly would put a premium on the first generation - people who need them would pay regardless.
But perhaps Apple will be kind and offer 8-core models at similar price points to the present models. We can but live in hope.
Something has to happen soon, there is a deafening silence with regards to new products, even the ones they did announce are delayed.
Strange things are afoot at the circle K...er... I mean Apple... strange things indeed.
But the more I wait, the more I want an 8-core, and the less I care about the price.
:eek: So that's their strategy!!! Pure genius:p

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
I would take 4 cores working at 3.0Ghz rather than 8 working at 2.33Ghz.

Not all my work is multi threaded so the drop in speed will hurt more than I am gaining from having 4 more idle cores.

The trade off in speed simply isn't worth it and Apple must feel the same way right now.

Sure, 8-core Mac Pros will come eventually but it is hardly needed right now.

dbater

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2006
Victoria, Canada

Not all my work is multi threaded so the drop in speed will hurt more than I am gaining from having 4 more idle cores.

The trade off in speed simply isn't worth it and Apple must feel the same way right now.

I believe if you don't require the power of the 8 cores when all the software isn't out there to take advantage of it... buy a core2duo now....count the software now that totally takes advantage of it besides Apple apps.

Video, 3D, Audio and a few other can use all the help they can get but the average user could still be using a Apple IIgs.

In a year from now when most of the software takes advantage of multi core processors....BUY

slicedbread

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2006
but is there any noticeable difference in adding all these cores? You add more clock speed gives you a faster computer, but performance doesnt scale with cores.

Is there any real need for 8 cores rather than 4?

dbater

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2006
Victoria, Canada
but is there any noticeable difference in adding all these cores? You add more clock speed gives you a faster computer, but performance doesnt scale with cores.

Is there any real need for 8 cores rather than 4?

For some who do heavy video, music, 3D and a few others YES, for the majority NO. That is why they have different models so everyone has a choice. At the present time there is not enough software to take advantage of it, for many they are waiting for Adobe to bring out its suite and I think you will see the sales of 8 or Duo 8 core sales go up....

I will buy the next generation......

diamond3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
When we talk about the 8 core being able to utilize the software. What kind of software would that be? FCS and iLife?

I have heard by many that with the quad cores, while encoding a movie it will have the processors at 50% thus not completely utilizing the power of the quad core. Would this be the case even more so with the 8 core? Also, am I correct with the statement about the current quad core?

Mr. MacBook

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2007

Lol, 2.33GHz running 8 Times is alot better than 4 cores running 3GHz. Better multitasking, think of it as 8 world war 2 fighters versus 4 modern fighters. The 8 soldiers would win

But yeah, i understand,

8-core Mac Pros would be utterly useless, there isn't a game or software app out there that would need that sort of hyper-speed octa-processing... and the video card isnt that great anyways

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
Lol, 2.33GHz running 8 Times is alot better than 4 cores running 3GHz. Better multitasking, think of it as 8 world war 2 fighters versus 4 modern fighters. The 8 soldiers would win

But yeah, i understand,

8-core Mac Pros would be utterly useless, there isn't a game or software app out there that would need that sort of hyper-speed octa-processing... and the video card isnt that great anyways

In other words the 3.0Ghz Mac Pro would be better than the 2.33Ghz Mac Pro? ;)

Sure it would enable you to do more things at once but I rarely run 4 intensive programs at the same time. When the software becomes heavily multi threaded the 8 cores will gain a lot more ground but for now, the 3.0Ghz Mac pro is the best.

macenforcer

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2004
Colorado
Better multitasking, think of it as 8 world war 2 fighters versus 4 modern fighters. The 8 soldiers would win

Now thats the worst assumption I have ever heard. 1 modern fighter would be able to take out 20 WWII fighters without breaking a sweat. Hell it could take them out from 50miles away before the WWII planes even knew it was there.

slughead

macrumors 68040
Apr 28, 2004
Now thats the worst assumption I have ever heard. 1 modern fighter would be able to take out 20 WWII fighters without breaking a sweat. Hell it could take them out from 50miles away before the WWII planes even knew it was there.

he meant soldiers I think

8 on 1? I'd have to agree.

That has nothing to do with computers, though. Get 4 pentium III's Vs one high-end modern P4 (with hyperthreading)... no contest.

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
Does anyone know when the 8-core Mac Pro is coming out? I know this has been asked but i cannot find the thread and i dont feel like searching for it. Anyway if anyone has ideas or anything..please post here. :apple:

I'm guessing next tueday with the G5 PowerBooks and Widescreen iPod Video.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.