Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jimong5

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Originally posted by IJ Reilly

Right, and if I didn't install iPhoto, I could not run it -- which is quite a different statement then the one to which I was responding. Once again, this was: "OS X does not come with OS 9 in any form. All it comes with are the pieces that allow OS 9 to run as classic."

This is plainly incorrect. The Classic Environment for OS 10.2 is still a fully-bootable OS 9.2 (unless you own a 2003 Mac).

actually, if you bought a Jaguar Box, you would only get Jag. there is no 9 CD in it. And 2002 Macs dont even get a 9 disk, they have it on a restore CD

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra

Right, and if I didn't install iPhoto, I could not run it -- which is quite a different statement then the one to which I was responding. Once again, this was: "OS X does not come with OS 9 in any form. All it comes with are the pieces that allow OS 9 to run as classic."

This is plainly incorrect. The Classic Environment for OS 10.2 is still a fully-bootable OS 9.2 (unless you own a 2003 Mac).
Nope, the classic environment is what runs inside OS X. When you boot OS 9, it's called OS 9.

OS X comes with the stubs to run OS 9 as classic. Those stubs include the Classic Prefs Pane and some additional software hooks.

If you install OS 9 on a machine with OS X, you get the Classic environment and if the machine is a model that can boot OS 9, you also get a bootable OS 9.

However, OS X itself does not come with OS 9 in any form. A Mac with OS X comes with OS 9 for Classic (and booting if the model supports that.)

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Originally posted by Bear
However, OS X itself does not come with OS 9 in any form. A Mac with OS X comes with OS 9 for Classic (and booting if the model supports that.)

Boy, is that ever a distinction without a difference! I suggest that both of you try toggling that little widget on the Classic startup window, and tell me what you see. (Hint: it's exactly what you'll see if you boot that machine into OS9, including the all of the extensions you've selected or deslected.) But just keep telling yourself, "it's not OS 9 in any form -- it just looks the same, works the same, and boots the same."

As for the "no OS 9 CD" with 2002 Macs claim, this is not correct. Our 17" iMac came with an OS 9.2.2 install disk, which lo-and-behold, also happens to boot into OS 9.

zach

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2003
Medford

But there is a tremendous justification for retaining compatibility with legacy applications, which is why I believe the Classic Environment will be with us for a long time. Post 10.2 it just won't be called OS 9, and using it will become much more transparent to the user.

I agree with this and i think that apple will take it to the next step with classic, allowing it to start more quickly, and retain the os X interface. This would be nice, as i have many old os 9 programs that i like to run, so eliminating classic would not please me, although i hate it in its present incarnation (slow, unstable, and ugly).

GeeYouEye

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2001
State of Denial
Dropping classic, almost no matter how far in the future, is stupid. There's just too much invested in 9 programs to justify getting rid of it. I've still yet to see, for example, an OS X version of ResEdit.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra

Boy, is that ever a distinction without a difference! I suggest that both of you try toggling that little widget on the Classic startup window, and tell me what you see. (Hint: it's exactly what you'll see if you boot that machine into OS9, including the all of the extensions you've selected or deslected.) But just keep telling yourself, "it's not OS 9 in any form -- it just looks the same, works the same, and boots the same."
You missed the point. If you buy OS X, you don't get OS 9 or Classic.

You only get those bits if you buy a Mac.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Originally posted by Bear

You missed the point. If you buy OS X, you don't get OS 9 or Classic.

You only get those bits if you buy a Mac.

So what are you going to run it on, a PC? Describe for me a scenario where Classic would not be installed on a Mac, short of removing it.

BTW, I notice you've moved away from the claim that "A Mac with OS X comes with OS 9 for Classic," which in any case, contradicted your statement, "OS X itself does not come with OS 9 in any form."

I'll be darned if I know what your point is, anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.