Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

will apple release a powerline adaptor?

• yes - this year

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • yes - maybe next year

• yes - 2018 or beyond

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ganwilliams

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 19, 2016
uk
so the subject header says it all...

do you think Apple will ever launch a powerline adaptor... if so when?

also any ideas when the next airports/timecapsules are likely to be released? ie an ac airport express?

ps I am new here (1st post) so please accept apologies if this is the wrong part of the forum!

iWombBanger

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2016
so the subject header says it all...

also any ideas when the next airports/timecapsules are likely to be released? ie an ac airport express?

ps I am new here (1st post) so please accept apologies if this is the wrong part of the forum!

Not gonna happen in your lifetime. Apple doesn't deal with any networking except 3 basic routers (including Time Capsule).

Reactions: ganwilliams

Beerstalker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2011
Peoria, IL
Are you talking about ethernet over the AC wiring in your home? I assume so and I voted never, as it is a very poor option and of limited use. It doesn't work at all in many homes. Apple getting into MOCA (using coax cable) would be more likely but I even doubt that. I think they are happy with the way their current Airport stuff works as far as networking/extending throughout a larger home.

I do wish they would come out with newer models though. I've been wanting to pick up an Airport Extreme or Time Capsule for about a year now, but have held off waiting for an update with MIMO and better coverage, and hopefully larger hard drives on the Time Capsules if they are going to stay at that price (2TB/3TB hard drive costs have come down significantly since release, but Apple hasn't really dropped the price of the Time Capsule at all).

iWombBanger

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2016
Are you talking about ethernet over the AC wiring in your home? I assume so and I voted never, as it is a very poor option and of limited use. It doesn't work at all in many homes. Apple getting into MOCA (using coax cable) would be more likely but I even doubt that. I think they are happy with the way their current Airport stuff works as far as networking/extending throughout a larger home.

I do wish they would come out with newer models though. I've been wanting to pick up an Airport Extreme or Time Capsule for about a year now, but have held off waiting for an update with MIMO and better coverage, and hopefully larger hard drives on the Time Capsules if they are going to stay at that price (2TB/3TB hard drive costs have come down significantly since release, but Apple hasn't really dropped the price of the Time Capsule at all).

He is talking about Ethernet over AC. I don't count on apple dropping the prices, but maybe we will get slightly higher capacity. Also, I think MOCA is awesome!

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011

There are plenty of third party powerline adapters available, they're completely platform independent and pretty much "plug and play" beyond maybe some very simple pairing procedure. There's no need for Apple to produce one. As others have mentioned, they are a bit hit-and-miss, but that's as much due to variations in house wiring as to lack of any secret Apple sauce. Really the option of last resort.

I appreciate that it's not possible for everybody (uncooperative landlords etc.) but if you can install a proper ethernet cable between the rooms its well worth it, and a reel of Cat5e cable, a couple of RJ45 wall sockets and a cheap punch-down tool will probably cost less than a set of powerline adapters (I used powerline adapters for a while but they weren't wonderful - I didn't regret the afternoon crawling through the loft to run a cable).

There are also plenty of third party "Network Attached Storage" devices around that happily support Macs and are a viable equivalent to Time Capsule.

ganwilliams

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 19, 2016
uk
thanks all for contributing!

Like beerstalker i have an airport time capsule network which (due to using airport express - airtunes and extend wifi) is becoming a bit dated in the tech department... would love an update soon! maybe the in line with the October mac announcements that are rumoured... fingers crossed...

I have a couple of my airport expresses connected to the timecapsule with ethernet which does help, just my lounge (being the main place I consume media) being at the limits of wifi network and therefore a bit slow/unstable) and will be a pain to connect by ethernet as I would need to run ethernet down a channel in the wall from floor to ceiling... dust/distuption and redecoraing would be unavoidable... (timecapsule in converted loft)

fingers crossed the airport express gets updated to ac!

I'll look into Moca... sounds interesting... what are the upsides of this over ethernet???

Beerstalker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2011
Peoria, IL
thanks all for contributing!
I'll look into Moca... sounds interesting... what are the upsides of this over ethernet???

The upside, at least here in the US, is that most homes are built with coax cable in all rooms. Very few homes (especially older ones) have ethernet cable run throughout. With a MOCA adaptor you can use the coax cable already in your wall to hook up ethernet devices. So in your bedroom you put a MOCA adaptor hooked up with ethernet to your computer, and coax to the in wall wiring. Then wherever your router is you put another MOCA adaptor hooked up to your in wall coax and then ethernet to your router. After doing this is is pretty much just like your computer is hooked up with ethernet directly to your router. So no drilling holes in walls, ceilings, or running ethernet cables down hallways etc.

steve123

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2007
I hear that! Their firmware is a mess and not getting any better.

Well, they are a bit slow on keeping some of the packages up to date but Ubiquity is by far the best affordable networking equipment out there. Stick with their Pro stuff and you can compare Ubiquity to Cisco ... Not some fly by night consumer garbage.

And Ubiquity actually support their products with firmware and security updates. Try to get updates for a SMB Cisco product ... Forget it.
[doublepost=1473308511][/doublepost]Back to the orignal poll, forget it, never.

hobowankenobi

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2015
on the land line mr. smith.
I'd avoid Ubiquiti like it has the plague. Honestly junk. Go with enGenius or another brand.

I hear that! Their firmware is a mess and not getting any better.

Well....perhaps not perfect, but having setup a handful of networks over the years with 3-8 APs....they have been good to great. Place I used to work has over 50 locations nation wide using them, all admin'd remotely, and they love them. Switches too.

Have their gear in my house, and my wife works from home. I would hear about it if it didn't work....

Not perfect. No company or product is. But a great value for the cost, compared to the competition. And I have watched them improve for the last 6-7 years I have used them.

Reactions: satcomer

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
I'm going to go with never ever.

A 1000' of CAT6 can be had for around the price for a handful of power line adapters but with much much better performance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.