when will apple finally leave the realm of mhz?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by jefhatfield, Sep 6, 2002.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

only two models of the powermac reach 1 ghz or better

but when will apple finally have all their gear, including $1199 ibook, at 1 ghz or faster?

it would be nice to see every mac past 1 ghz in 2003, but i have a bad feeling it will take until 2004 and apple will be thought of as a slow machine by the public at large...until speed is no longer a major consumer issue in computers

2. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

yeah not that it matters, but intel are leabing motorola for dead, they are lightyears infront

3. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I don't know - a few more speed bumps and a new processor could see all macs in the 1GHz range by the end of next year. If the PowerMacs go to the Power4 and all other machines go to the G4 - including the iBook - I could see it happening.

D

4. 748s macrumors 6502a

748s

apple should skip that whole cpu concept and move on to field programable gate arrays (FPGA). 12 terabit per sec memory bandwidth, 80 channels of input at 840 Mbit per channel. 28 DSPs per block.

5. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

For only pennies more then what they're offering now.;)

6. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

bout time they scratch the g4 line for good, and FORCE motorolla (or scrap motorolla and get ibm) to produce the G5 line, with a starting processor of 1.2 ghz and up ;)
    but that wont happen, i can remember when the p4's just came out, only amd was ahead of motorolla's g4 processors....

7. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

A G5 with 1.2ghz base?? That is weak!! Where are the 2ghz G5's??? I would like to see 1.5ghz at San Fran and G5s at MWNY. I want you guys to drool over the movie I make about them;)

Also the TiBook could really use a speed bump along with the iBooks. A Ti at 1ghz would be nice, maybe with a 64mb ATI Radeon video card:)

8. Jbear macrumors member

I use pretty fast peecees at work, 1.7ghz P4's, and I can never wait to get home and use my 733mhz G4 at home. I could really care less how far ahead intel is, I would rather use a sub-ghz mac than the top-of-the-line PC anyday.

9. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

As long as we are fantasizing why not dream up something good? Skip G5s and go straight to 3ghz G6s in January!

10. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

guessing u have 3 grand to spend on a 2 ghz G5 (when its released) (since it sure sounds like it ;)) not all of us are rich :p, a 1.2 ghz model would be good for ppl who only have $1400-$2000 to spend on a powermac
    1.2 ghz (g5) would be perfect for me but to some ppl would rahter have a dam 3 ghz g5 processor...right now thats just not possible, if they started working on it right now, itdd probably take atleast half a year to design/create the processor n get it to work successfully with mobos that will be used for pmacs, but remember: 2x1.25 ghz (dual 1.25 ghz g4 pmac)=2.5 ghz x 1.5 (cuz its usually 1.5 diff of intel processors)=3.75 ghz..hmm, might not be THAT fast for some stuff, but thats still pretty fast...but expensive, hopefully all g4 models of puters will change to atleast 1 ghz sooner or later or else the g5 line come in