When will Apple give us the newest Webkit with Safari?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by spaceballl, Aug 18, 2005.

1. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Hey all!

Has anyone else built the most recent version of webkit from source? I did so the other day, and it really is great. Haha I finally got to see the Acid2 test passed for the first time ever. Not that it is really that cool to see...

But things in general seem really snappy on this version, and I haven't noticed any stability problems. When will Apple make this gecko competitor available to the masses?

As a side note, what do you guys prefer as a rendering engine? Webkit/khtml or gecko? I think I still prefer Gecko, although a year ago, I thought webkit was terrible. These days I think it is moving very quickly on Gecko. IE's rendering engine imho is in last place of the pack as it constantly evades standards. Opera is nice, but i'm not too fond of the mac version of it.

-Kevin

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

When all the planned improvements are made and it's actually stable (it does crash more than the official version). For example they are about 1/3 through implementing the new form controls.

3. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

That's the answer I was looking for :). Also, are webkit/khtml completely merged at this point or not quite?

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

They are not really likely to fully merge. khtml is still part of KDE. A lot of the changes get ported between the 2 trees though.

5. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

There were some reports a couple of months ago that Apple and the KDE people will go separate ways again. The KDE people apparently didn't like it when Apple made decisions on their own to make things work... ;)

One link - Another. I also think there was (at least) one thread about it here at MR, but I'm too lazy to search for it now... ;)