Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iososx

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2014
USA
Apple displays are decent. I'd rather see them focus on bringing back the kind of reliable software they produced a few years ago. Although quality doesn't seem to matter with the Apple logo, brand strength alone seems to be good enough.

Daiphoneboss

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2015
Hopefully never , or at least when they can get rid of OLED burn in issues first. I dont want a OLED screen that gets permanent screen burn in only few months later, until they fix that disadvantage of OLED, I prefer high end LCD's

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Light bleed depends on the panel you can get one that is great then the very next one off the production line can be horrible, even the better panels still get light bleed in the corners on off-axis viewing.

You usually have to play the LCD panel lottery a few times to get one with minimal bleed that you can live with. On one product alone it wasn't until my fourth try that I could live with but it still has some bleed and one stuck pixel but it's less noticeable towards the corner so that's why I'm hesitant to believe anyone claiming to have a perfect LCD. In comparison, every AMOLED has been bleed, stuck pixel, etc. free on first attempt which begs the question. When will manufacturers realize the cost and make the switch to a different technology? Even though OLED is more expensive upfront but in the long run it's probably less than the cost and logistics of handling numerous replacements.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Try sitting in your bedroom when it's dark and have a password set on the device. Then wake it up to the slider screen and look how washed out the background is (it should be black).
I appreciate a few of you going to the trouble of explaining how to notice this, but I guess some of us either don't notice it, or are perhaps not as fussy. I asked my wife if she noticed poor blacks on her iPhone 6's screen and she screwed her face up and said 'what?' She loves tech but probably not as much as many here, or enough to focus on the finer details. I am not sure many none techies would notice these things? Is it uninformed not to be worried by it?

I think if I looked hard enough I would notice a fainter black or light bleed at the side of a display in pitch darkness. However in normal everyday use I don't think this is something I could ever get concerned about. If Apple decide further down the line to put OLED displays in the iPhone I will most likely say what I do with this one. Its a great display as I turn the brightness down to 48% and enjoy the user experience like I do presently. I can't help but think we are looking for faults with a fine tooth comb here. Of course they should always be looking to improve the technology, I just like to enjoy what I have and not find ways to be dissatisfied with it.

I wake up at 5.30am every morning to my iPhone in the dark and I have to say light bleed and minutely fainter blacks are the last thing on my mind as I rub my eyes and attempt to make them work. It is still a superb display whether it is the best out there or not IMHO :)

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 30, 2014
And now the other shoe drops - Apple to go OLED for iPhone 7 is reported today.

http://www.valuewalk.com/2015/01/iphone-7-oled-display/

iPhone 7 To Have OLED Display, New Report Claims

Apple Inc. (NASDAQ:AAPL) failed to bring sapphire display with the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus last year. That would have been a major shift from LCD screens Apple has traditionally relied on. But a new report from Japanese newspaper Nikkan Kogyo Shimbun claims that the Cupertino company’s next flagship, likely to be called iPhone 7, will see some changes in display technology. The iPhone 7 will have an OLED display.

Foxconn to supply OLED displays

That’s in line with previous reports that Foxconn Technology Co., Ltd. (TPE:2354) (OTCMKTS:FXCOF) and its subsidiary Innolux were setting up a $2.6 billion display manufacturing facility in Taiwan. The iPhone maker has hired Foxconn to make OLED screens for the iPhone 7 as well as Apple Watch. Production is expected to start in late 2015. So, it’s still unclear which iPhone would use the OLED screen.

Supply chain sources told Stabley Times that the iPhone 6S could be unveiled this spring, followed by the iPhone 7 in September. So, the OLED display is most likely to appear in the iPhone 7, given the production schedule. Foxconn’s new factory in Taiwan will exclusively make components for Apple. The two companies have strong business partnerships. For Apple Watch, South Korean company LG Electronics Inc. (KRX:066570) (OTCMKTS:LGEAF) Display will be making flexible screens.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Such sudden and positive news. Almost seems like Tim Cook who's a logistics guru is following this thread and shaking his head in agreement that the return rate for LCD is too high, eating into profits and it's better for brand loyalty to deliver quality defect free on the first try. No more LCD panel lottery. Hoping Apple chooses a quality OLED panel source like Samsung or LG and not the old generation panel in the Nexus 6.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
We will soon have those that can't tell the difference now.....soon have an epiphany. Their iPhone with OLED is better than before......

Reactions: pdoherty

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Soon a lot of people will be praising Apple's move to OLED.
Probably some of those that pan OLED today.

Only those that pan the current implementation because they find the quality, for what ever reason, not to their liking. I'm sure apples implementation will be perfect though.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Only those that pan the current implementation because they find the quality, for what ever reason, not to their liking. I'm sure apples implementation will be perfect though.
Of course and you will no doubt say how great the screen is and how vibrant the colors are......

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
When will Apple go OLED on their tablets (and phones)

I hope they calibrate them differently to current OLED screens if that is at all possible. Just slightly warmer tones and less vivid. I am sure they will be as impressive as current iPhone screens, not that I even have to worry about it until September 2016. Then again screens aren't a deal breaker for many.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
When this happens, I just hope they go with a more true to life color tone, as I doubt they will allow us to adjust it like Samsung does (I always select photo mode when I use Samsung).

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 30, 2014
I hope they calibrate them differently to current OLED screens if that is at all possible. Just slightly warmer tones and less vivid. I am sure they will be as impressive as current iPhone screens, not that I even have to worry about it until September 2016.

Huh? Isn't the iPhone 7 due out in 2015?

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010

6S/6S Plus in 2015

7 in 2016

OLED in the Note 4 is very good but that panel is not available anywhere else. And the rest of the OLED panels on the market are simply not good enough plain and simple when compared to IPS.

skratch77

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2013
Samsung is 3 years ahead of every other oled maker.by the time apple gets an oled display samsung will be over 800 ppi in there gs7 and note 6

They already have a 5.9 in 4k screen going in the oculus vr coming this year that is over 800ppi

Last edited:

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 30, 2014
6S/6S Plus in 2015

7 in 2016

I guess we'll see...

http://www.inquisitr.com/1706529/iphone-7-rumors-2015-release-date-will-feature-an-iphone-6s-mini-screen-size-and-an-iphone-7-plus/

The latest iPhone 7 rumors all seem to confirm expectations that a 2015 release date is inevitable, but the surprise is the idea that Apple will release three new iPhone models next year, just not two like with the iPhone 6 launch. But will consumers buy into Apple’s attempt at breaking the mold?

In a related report by the Inquisitr, the rumored iPhone 7 or 6s screen specifications may cause the new iPhone to look dramatically different from previous generations. This would especially be true if the display incorporates glasses-free 3D holographic technology that Apple patented a while back. There’s also Apple rumors flying about that the pending Apple Watch release date may coincide with the new iPhone 7 in order to drive up sales.

Timothy Arcuri, an analyst at Cowen and Company, is the source for the new Apple iPhone 7 rumors. The biggest tidbit is that an iPhone 6s mini may step up to replace the iPhone 5c.

“According to Arcuri, it’s ‘possible’ that Apple could launch three new versions of the iPhone next year, with a so-called ‘iPhone 6s mini’ at 4 inches joining the current-generation screen sizes,” reveals Apple Insider.

The current iPhone 6 screen size was bumped up to 4.7 inches, and the iPhone 6 Plus introduced the largest iPhone screen size ever at 5.5 inches. So bringing back the smaller iPhone screen will fill in that niche. As might be expected, the iPhone 7 Plus screen size will once again be in the range of the current iPhone 6 Plus, and it’s expected Apple will stick with a similar curved design. In addition, Arcuri claims the iPhone 6s Mini will come packing with the new Apple A9 CPU, although it will also use “purpose-built low cost components” from Qualcomm in order to keep the price of the device low as possible.

One of the more interesting iPhone 7 rumors is that the iPhone 7 release date will be staggered for the first time in Apple’s history. It is believed the iPhone 6s Mini release date will be in the first half of 2015 and then the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus will both release in the fall during the more normal schedule. Experts believe Apple may be planning this launch schedule based upon the assumption the budget buyers will want to upgrade their older iPhone models in this time frame.

This staggered release schedule may be a response to the relative unpopularity of the iPhone 5c, which stood little chance of being noticed when it’s big brother was announced. Apple may be hoping to avoid a similar fate for its low budget offering, so giving the iPhone 6s Mini its own launch date may be enough to entice a higher percentage of buyers.

Read more at http://www.inquisitr.com/1706529/ip...ize-and-an-iphone-7-plus/#u7vedjsHU6TyhkDz.99

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
When will Apple go OLED on their tablets (and phones)

My contract ends in September 2016 so I won't be worrying about a screen in my next iPhone until then, if at all. The iPhone might not be the best option for me by then too as this is too far into the future to contemplate.

When the iPhone 7 is out is still only a rumour at this stage too. Personally I can't see them scrapping their release model just yet, especially considering how successful the 6 and 6 Plus have been. Rushing through a complete redesign within a 12 month period would be strange IMO.

Last edited:

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Personally I can't see them scrapping their release model just yet, especially considering how successful the 6 and 6 Plus have been. Rushing through a complete redesign within a 12 month period would be strange IMO.

Nothing strange about it as Apple has done it with short release cycle from iPad3 to iPad4.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Nothing strange about it as Apple has done it with short release cycle from iPad3 to iPad4.
That is very true. If that happens it looks like my upgrade options may contain the iPhone 8 then. Numbers are numbers. I just felt with the iPhone, Apple tend to release a complete redesign every 2 years and milk the current design for 2 releases in the form of the 'S' range. Using the same shell in effect and maximising manufacturing potential for profit. If they change that and release a new phone every single year, it doesn't matter to us I suppose.

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2013
Hopefully never , or at least when they can get rid of OLED burn in issues first. I dont want a OLED screen that gets permanent screen burn in only few months later, until they fix that disadvantage of OLED, I prefer high end LCD's

I can only speak from my own experience, but I've been using OLEDs daily for the last 5yrs or so and never experienced burn in.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
I can only speak from my own experience, but I've been using OLEDs daily for the last 5yrs or so and never experienced burn in.

Yeah.... burn in, oversaturation, light bleed, book binding effect........... My oh my do people love throwing out their favourite buzzwords over and over again to try and make their personal preference look like the one and only alternative, of course miles better than everything else. It's like an obstinate three year old that keeps pushing his oatmeal bowl off the table over and over and over again just to test his parent's frustration limits. Or a fly smacking into the window time after time because it just cannot grasp the physical properties of glass.

I've used a Note 2 for two years without any burn in whatsoever.

I've used iPhones for nearly four years and never had any light bleed or book binding effect, nor have I actually seen any of these on any of my many iPhone-owning friends' phones or iPads.

I'm not saying these things don't exist, but they are just not the boogeyman some posters here try to make them out to be. And on the majority of phones using each respective screen tech they are simply not a problem whatsoever.

I'm happy if iPhones get OLED. I'm just as happy if they don't. My iPhone 6 Plus screen is extremely enjoyable to use and I don't mind that the blacks are ever so slightly less black than on a Note 4 (a phone I also love btw). Instead I get just a tiny bit more punch in the image, and this lovely, faint sense of my finger actually touching the image directly.

Each screen tech has its respective strengths and weaknesses. It's just that today, these differences are so utterly minuscule, at least to normal human beings who simply enjoy using their smartphones and don't spend the whole day searching for dead pixels using a microscope. Certainly these differences are not enough for anyone to really need to get their knickers in a complete twist and forum whine ad nauseam about.

Unless of course reality is not what it is but rather what we desperately want it to be, so that we can reinforce our bloated self-image of being a super cool tech expert who knows better than everyone else, in which case of course all OLED displays turn to useless **** after six months and all LCD displays literally barf laser into your eyes when you try to view a dark webpage late at night.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Of course and you will no doubt say how great the screen is and how vibrant the colors are......

Actually I wouldn't care one way or another. The i7 will probably sell like the i6 did, and the same tired arguements will ensue about how a feature is better in x phone. It's all in good fun as we know most consumers care little about the nuts we pick and they just buy the darn thing.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Actually I wouldn't care one way or another. The i7 will probably sell like the i6 did, and the same tired arguements will ensue about how a feature is better in x phone. It's all in good fun as we know most consumers care little about the nuts we pick and they just buy the darn thing.
I have to agree with you on some of the points you just made. Most will buy the iphone regardless of what it looks like or what the specs are. If it says Apple on it they will buy it from sheer brand loyalty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.