When will Apple make a laptop with the 2 button mouse

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Caddy, Nov 27, 2003.

1. Caddy macrumors member

Still waiting, does anyone know? (On the laptop that is)!

2. johnnowak macrumors 6502

I donno, building a mouse into a laptop sounds awfully stupid to me. :cool:

3. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Hmm, I'd say never, or at least until pigs fly, seeing as hell is already frozen over...

4. Sunrunner macrumors 6502a

Sunrunner

Apple most likely doesnt see the point, since you can get a portable 3-button mouse for a laptop for like 10 bucks... much better to "keep it simple".

5. Wardofsky macrumors 65816

Look, Apple doesn't make the mistake of removing a two button mouse (if it even had one) and then bringing it back.
    You know what Ive said "Simplicity is the key".

6. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

i don't think apple will have two buton trackpads until they have two buttons mice and right now i dont' think they need either my habits of ctrl + click are more than fluid

7. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

Hell froze over when the Eagles got back together.

8. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

Well I think Pigs got wings and Hell froze over in 1991...

Attached Files:

• 140.jpg
      140.jpg
      File size:
      10.9 KB
      Views:
  9. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

The Neverending Story

This debate is just never going to end, is it? Poeple will always want Apple to make 2-button mice, and Apple doesn't seem like they're ever going to do it. Why Apple doesn't do it, I'm not sure - it would nice to have that right-click option besides ctrl-click, and a scroll wheel too, but who knows what the reasoning is.

This 2-button mouse debate is just one of those on-going things that will never be resolved. Because I bet you even if Apple does release a 2-button mouse someday, they'll make it like their latest wireless mouse, charge $99 CAD for it, and people will then complain that it's priced astronomically high when you can pick up a 3-button mouse with scroll wheel and more for more like $20. ;)

10. ksz macrumors 68000

11. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Well the two buttons on the early PowerBook as shown above, was actually just two of the same button. One was for quick work (The one at the top), and the other was when using the trackball in the two-handed form.

TEG

12. RandomDeadHead macrumors 6502

As soon as people stop asking for a 2 button mouse.

13. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

As long as Jobs has any say in it....NEVER.

Answer:
    When Jobs
    A. Dies
    B. Quits
    C. Is fired

This has been discussed into the ground. And I still stand firm that if you can't figure out how to use a 2 button mouse you can't figure out how to breath and are dead already anyways so :p

We aren't talking about brain surgery people, its a dang mouse after all. In a MacPoll the question was posed. 57% said they used a 2 button mouse. And as I've pointed out before.
    On a PC all functionality of a mouse is done on that mouse. On a Mac you have to use the mouse and the keyboard. It would be like requiring a user to hold the enter button when you click on a Mac mouse. Its extra step that isn't necessary and ultimately make things harder. I'm willing to bet there are more then a few Mac users that don't even know about right clicking on the Mac because the method of accessing the context sensitive options is unnatural. So why is the single mouse "easier"? Simple. Because there are users that don't even know about it or because they are use to it. Both are not valid reasons IMHO.

I can understand a 1 button touchpad\mouse for the consumer devices and I can see it even for PowerMacs because users can go out and buy a new 2 button mouse. (Sorry guys. You spend $2,000+ on a computer you CAN'T complain at about $50-$100) but there is zero freaking excuse for PowerBooks. As even the name implies it's designed for the power user and many of those users use 2 button mice. And as for the poor argument of using an external mouse. Please. I drag enough crap with me as it stands. My Dell Latitude laptop has 2 batteries so I don't even have to carry a power cable. I despise accessories. And an external mouse is NO exception.

This is no longer about ease of use. It's about Jobs being a stubborn ***.

What really erks me is that my Toshiba Sat laptop that I also have as my current POWER laptop has a mouse touchpoint. (Those eraserheads.) I hate those things but I was pushed into the laptop because of the specs and had to just live with the touchpoint even though I hate it.
    The kicker is the same dang thing is going to happen when I get a PowerBook. GRRRRR. :mad:

14. celaurie macrumors 6502a

celaurie

I would say "when hell freezes over," but that already happened...

15. Char macrumors newbie

I just felt like throwing in my two cents.

That I think they aren't even thinking about it.. I mean come on, their bluetooth mouse has one button, that alone makes me not want it. Id rather buy a MX700.

This debate also came out Allot when the rumor of the bluetooth keyboard and mouse from apple was confirmed. Sadly half the people that use Apple are die hard fans that want one button just because its an Apple trade mark.

Myself.. I say have at-least two, if not more, and a wheel. Anymore thats what you need. Hell I have that and I want more now, but mostly for gaming. I will say on the OS I probably wont be using more then two and a wheel. But on a browser I do like the forward and back buttons on a mouse as well as having five buttons for games at my finger tips. And thats really where you need it the most is games, the more you have to look for keys on the keyboard the more you're distracted and can be killed easier.

And of course you don't really NEED it, but its more convenient. Plus if you look at Windows, nothing on the keyboard will bring up that right click, its a unique button in itself, just like the left click. (Thank god for Apple putting a "right click" in their OS/Apps.)

16. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

This is completely incorrect. On any standard keyboard nowadays the key to the left of the control key on the right side of the keyboard will bring up the right-click menu. It's been this ways for years now. It goes "Alt, Windows key, right click menu, control".

17. Char macrumors newbie

Okay, so most keyboards do now.. the point was it use to be a unique button.

18. yamabushi macrumors 65816

yamabushi

I would like to see a modular pointing device in Apple laptops so that we could use whichever one we preferred. Then Apple could offer build to order options for two button trackpads and trackballs. Third parties such as logitech might offer their own replacements with even more buttons, scroll wheels, or other features.

19. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

First of all, I agree that apple needs to step into the 21st century and add a right-click button to their pointing products, both desktop and laptop. A scroll wheel would also be nice.

That said, I was very distressed about buy a PowerBook because of the lack of right-click. Not being that shallow, I bought it and I'm happy. But, I did stumble upon a great program called SideTrack. It lets you map the hardware button to right click, and even adds scrolling functionality to the trackpad. I'm using it under Panther right now, and have had no problems at all. Since using it, I could care less if Apple added a right click button to their laptops, because I already have one.

20. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

Exactly Two buttons I did not say what they did.

21. Caddy thread starter macrumors member

I guess I am pretty shallow, but I had to return my Mac because of this!

22. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

You returned your Mac because it didn't have a 2-button mouse? Yikes. Wouldn't it have been more logical to just pay the $25 to get a nice 2-button scroll wheel optical mouse and keep the Mac?!? I can't fathom giving up such a superior piece of hardware with arguably the best OS in the world because it didn't ship with the "right" mouse for me!

Hmm, that's like returning a Porsche because the seatbelt release button isn't your favorite shade of red... :cool:

23. riwanami macrumors member

I sort of understand Caddy's decision. I'm a current Windows user wanting to make the switch, and I think the mouse is one thing that you really can't avoid using in GUI operating systems. Although many people may not realize it, it's one of the major concerns for Windows users who want to switch to Macs. We've become so used to the right-click options that it's really something that we must have. I know that ctrl+click is an option, but those who are used to the right mouse button, it's just a hastle.

I think that Apple can design a mouse or a laptop trackpad button (as this Sony model already has in Japan) that looks like one button, but actually are two buttons, depending on where you click. I'm sure Apple can come up with a software utility that will allow it to disable a right-click feature for those users who don't want it.

Attached Files:

24. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I'm all for it, but still, what does a 2-button scroll wheel mouse cost? Why are people against buying their own mouse and even throwing away the Apple mouse if they so choose? I don't understand how a $25 piece of equipment can hold you back from purchasing such an amazing system that you'd obviously be willing to spend $2000-$3000 on in the first place. When people buy PCs, do they get absolutely every specific piece of equipment they want? Maybe they do. Do PC users never buy a new mouse or joystick, for gaming let's say, better speakers than the factory ones, etc.? I realize it's not quite the same thing, but still, I don't understand why that would keep someone from switching - seems like a moot point to me.

If a 2-button mouse is such a necessity you can't live without, buy a Mac, buy a $25 mouse, and quit complaining!

Don't get me wrong, I don't understand why Apple doesn't have 2-button mice myself, but all I'm saying is that it's a weak excuse for returning a Mac or not buying one. I just bought my first Mac and have no concerns over the mouse whatsoever.

25. jonapete2001 macrumors regular

Apple needs to adress this issue. This is something the majority of consumers want. It 3rd party mice are so more conveniant due to the 2nd button and scroll. I hate using the keyboard for tasks that are much more conveniant on the mouse.

The one button deal is stupid and annoying. 2 buttons and scroll is not some engeneering feet that costs billions of dollars. This is jobs just being stuborn and i hate it. It is just annoying.