Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

When will Apple release updated iMacs?

• Total voters

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
As the thread title says. I want to see what most people think. Here are the options:

Pre-WWDC: Since Apple has bigger things to focus on at WWDC, they will quietly update the iMac sometime prior to WWDC.

During WWDC: Either on stage or quietly, Apple will update the iMac lineup during WWDC. Perhaps they will announce an iMac using Merom, or Conroe?

Post-WWDC: Since Apple has bigger things to focus on at WWDC, in the weeks immediately following it they will quietly update the iMac lineup.

MacExpo Paris: The month after WWDC, Apple will release an updated iMac lineup during MacExpo Paris

Not for a while: Apple doesn't intend to release an updated iMac anytime soon, at least not by the time MacExpo Paris comes and goes.

What do you guys think?

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
im_to_hyper said:
Wait... what new iMac are we talking about here? A redesign to coindide with the new processor? I don't think it will be for awhile, since the current design works quite nicely.

Yeah, what is an update? Like a faster chip, or increased HD capacity for the same price? Or a redesign? I don't see a redesign any time soon (other than maybe some minor cosmetics and perhaps a black plastic one).

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
Le Big Mac said:
Like a faster chip, or increased HD capacity for the same price?

Bingo.
Faster chips, increased HD capacity, better graphics card, Blu-ray as BTO, etc. at the same price. Stuff like that.
Possibly the use of Merom or Conroe.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
keithbennis said:
Since I just bought my 2.0 20" Intel iMac, I hope not anytime soon.... but it should be interesting to see.

Haha, yeah, exactly. I'm planning on buying a 17" Intel Mac soon.

4God

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2005
My Mac
They just did....the 17" $899 edu version. :D
I know, you meant to say upgrade not update. ;)

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Product: iMac
Last Release: January 10, 2006
Days Since Update: 177 (Average = 183)
Recommendation: Buy only if you need it - Approaching the end of a cycle

Soon? Next Tuesday? Before WWDC? On my birthday? Which is a Tuesday...

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Eidorian said:
Product: iMac
Last Release: January 10, 2006
Days Since Update: 177 (Average = 183)
Recommendation: Buy only if you need it - Approaching the end of a cycle

Soon? Next Tuesday? Before WWDC? On my birthday? Which is a Tuesday...
That says it all, if we get a bumped iMac then anytime but if we get a all new machine Steve would want his say,same as Powermac.

kevin.rivers

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2005
I don't know if anyone else has thought of this. But maybe the iMac will get a glossy display...

It would make sense.

Macbook: Standard glossy
iMac: Standard glossy
MBP: Option
ACD: Option (in the update of course)

Just a thought.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I think we'll get a conroe based imac at WWDC. Conroe is due to be released July 24, and the current imac has been out a long time now (though it's still a very competitive purchase). I know the mac pro is due to be released at WWDC, so maybe the imac will be a quiet update shortly before or after, but right around then...

Lebowski

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
more importantly....

who cares?

the imac has been revised a dozen times in like 3 years. yet no new pro towers in that period.....

im sick of imacs and ipods. enough allready.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
Lebowski said:
the imac has been revised a dozen times in like 3 years. yet no new pro towers in that period.....

QFT. And the Macbook Pro too.. damned that is so in need of a speed bump! :mad:

Lebowski

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
god, i am so sick of hearing about leapord. i know its not even out yet, but jeez.... when are they gonna start talking about the NEXT OS?

and when the hell are they gonna update the iPod HiFi? i mean, god, its like.... SOOOOOO January 06.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.