When will Apple update iBook? 2006?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by the Falcon, Jun 12, 2005.

1. the Falcon macrumors member

Will Apple update the iBooks before the end of this summer?
    I want to buy an iBook soon, but I would like to see them updated first. However, if this is not going to happen any time soon, I would rather just buy it already, since I can't wait for ever.
    When will they ever update it? None of the rumors have been on the mark. First, it was "after the release of Tiger". Then, it was "at the WWDC". Well, we've seen both come and go, but still no new iBooks! :(
    Now, with the announcement of Intel CPUs, will Apple even bother to update them at all anymore this year? They are in dire need of an upgrade, though. What should I do? How long will I have to wait? How long should I wait? :confused:
    ¿Cuando, cuando, cuando? When will you be mine??

2. iGary Guest

iGary

MacWorld Paris, maybe?

It has been pretty dry as far as hardware since the new iMacs came out...

3. sk8erboy macrumors regular

4. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

they will be updated this year. in the wwdc keynote, jobs said that there will still be more great ppc products before the switch to intel.

these products i am thinking will be the new ibook which will come soon and possibly a new macmini ? , that i am unsure of but he promised new products before the intel switch and 99.9 percent sure i am that one will be an updated ibook.

i think almost 1000 percent that the powerbook will get a mobile intel chip wayyy before the ibook will

5. the Falcon thread starter macrumors member

Clueless Through the Macintosh

When's that? :)
    Sorry, I'm Clueless in Appleland. :p

Well, that's nice to know. I hope it will be soon. :)

6. iGary Guest

iGary

September.

7. the Falcon thread starter macrumors member

mmm... That's a bit late for me. I need to own one before September. Do you think there's any reasonable chance they might update the iBooks a bit earlier than that?

8. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

there is a chance but a lot of people on here believe that the ibook will get more than just a speed bump

many believe that the whole book will get re-designed and believe me if the whole thing gets re-done. it wont just pop up on apple one day for sale. they will wait til steve gets a keynote to introduce the new ibook. so i guess you will just have to wait and see.

9. the Falcon thread starter macrumors member

And the next keynote won't take place any earlier than until September in Paris? Well, if that's all true, then bummer. I really can't afford to wait that long. :(

10. tsk macrumors 6502a

tsk

Here are my thoughts:

Apple currently has a "Go Save" $100 rebate for students that expires on June 25th (technically it must "ship" by the 25th, not just be ordered).

Apple traditionally (the last 2 years I think) has the "Cram and Jam" early July to late Sept which is $200 off a notebook and iPod.

It seems to me that quite likely the "Go Save" attempted to move some inventory before the Intel announcement (since it was on all models). Perhaps it also hoped to move some iBooks before an update was made. I doubt they will release a new iBook before it expires (so maybe it will be anounced before the 25th but not ship).

So I'd say with reasonable certainty, no new iBooks until after the 25th.

Which makes one wonder about the "Cram and Jam." Will it happen this year or not? With the reports that Apple is overstocked on iPods and also the Intel announcement, I assume probably since it would stimulate sales. But it also seems unlikely they'd offer it on a just released model.

So seems also likely no new iBooks till the end of September (which fits with MacWorld Paris).

I'm basically in the same boat you are. I won't pay full price on an iBook. I'd maybe do it with the rebate. I'd really like the "Cram and Jam" and a new release of the iBook (seems kind of unlikely). I'm only buying this to last me till the Intel PB comes out (so 6-8 months if I'm lucky). What to do....

11. weg macrumors 6502a

weg

Probably NOT updating the iBooks is their new strategy to make people buy their Powerbooks again? (Wouldn't that be a great idea? Keep the iBook slow, so people buy the slightly faster but still slow Powerbooks ;-))

I guess as long as they are unable to update the Powerbooks, there will be no iBook update. Bad luck (for Apple as well as for us customers).

12. timmyb macrumors 6502

New iBooks, (particularly if it's just a speed bump,) don't need a keynote to be launched. The iMac/eMac updates were just on a normal tuesday, as was the last iBook update.

13. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I hope the iBooks are the next machines to be updated - they're long overdue. I would think Apple would have nice new ones out for the back to school campaign, they'd be foolish not to. Plus, they've had almost a year to update them, so it's time!

14. themacman macrumors 6502

consumer products are usually updated/ announced at paris so that is the best bet. Do u need to ahve it for school or is it just because u cant wait.

15. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

yea....we all know that but a lot of us on here see more than just a speed bump but possibly a whole redesign of the book

16. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

I have a feeling that there will be iBooks, Mac Minis and the reintrduction of the 17 inch display, in August. I think there will be very little done to the speed, but probably some new feature that Apple can make sound great, even though it's probably not that big of deal. I think they will make the Mini more attractive, by making like a $699 bundle with the new Mac Mini and a 17 inch display. All this would be ready for students going back to school in September.

17. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

After not being updated for 8 months, I think we will need to see something more than just a marginal update, otherwise consumers will be very disappointed. Apple has had a long time to give the iBooks a major upgrade, so let's hope this is the case - and let's hope we find out soon! At this stage though, seeing a simple speed bump of a few hundred MHz, extra RAM and a new video card after almost a whole year just doesn't cut it in my (i)Books. :cool:

18. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I would hope we would see an iBook before then though, as that wouldn't be the best timing for the back to school market - a little on the late side. Here's hoping we see something in the next few Tuesdays, July at the latest...

19. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

yea but do you really think that one day you could just go to the apple site and then BAM on the front page.

NEWLY DESIGNED iBOOK!!!..

doubtful but hey i guess anything could happen after the switch to intel, i really hope apple dosnt screw up their notebooks and start making them all bland and whatnot like wintel notebooks. :mad:

20. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Not just "one day" - a Tuesday. :p ;)

For a redesign, yes, it is more unlikely, however Apple has done it many times before where they will have a "silent release" on a Tuesday. I wouldn't rule it out completely.

21. thehuncamunca macrumors 6502

probably sometime in june or very early july apple will update the ibooks (being that they haven't been updated since October)
    a slight speed boost, better graphics to fully take advantage of 10.4, and an educational promo like cram and jam is probably what they'll do
    if they don't update the ibooks by mid july, i'd say buy then cause apple won't update the ibooks when they're filling all the educational orders thru september
    but within the next month 90%+ chance they'll update them

22. Kobushi macrumors 6502a

Kobushi

Grrr..... this whole uncertainty thing is driving me nuts! Why can't they just have a big count down for newly designed machines like they do for OSX updates?! Sure, it would kill their sales to move the old machines, but not if they drop the prices or offer some incentive.

23. the Falcon thread starter macrumors member

Too bad that's in the States only. I could use some extra cash on top of my student discount. :D Besides, it "[e]xcludes 12-inch iBook with CD-ROM drive", which happens to be exactly what I want to buy.

Oh, I do so hope they'll release them on Tuesday the 28th! That'd be great. *fingers crossed*

I sure hope not. Having to buy the current iBook isn't the end of the world, but I sure wouldn't mind some updates either. :rolleyes:

I need to have it for school. I live in the Netherlands now, but in September I'll be going to Valencia, Spain, for my thesis project. Lugging my big ole PC to all the way over there is not really an option. So, I decided to opt for a laptop instead, and while am at it, why not make The Switch? :cool:

Well, I sure wouldn't mind if that'd be sometime soon... :p

Thanks for the advice. :)

24. bdanielb macrumors newbie

at the current rate im guessing apple next updates the ibook with a big new feature, an intel processor!! haha... jk

any marketing students/graduates out there? I am one and looking at the market and what apple is doing (actually not doing) they would fail in their ibook business plan.

Seriously, they are good but the specs really need updating. I hope its before 2006 too.

25. deetschei macrumors member

neeeeeeeeeeeeeexxxxt tuesday, next tuesday, i love ya, next tuesday, you're only a weeeeek awwaaaaayyyyyy!!!!!!!!