Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vish26

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
When do you guys think the next model of the 9.7" iPad Pro will come ? March-2017 or September-2017 ?

vish26

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
18 months from its release

The current 2016 9.7" iPad Pro was released in March-2016 one year to that makes March-2017 so why can't it be March-2017 and only September-2017 ? Are we sure that Apple has jumped onto a 18 month cycle period between two iPads release ?

Reactions: ShaunAFC3

Booji

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2011
Tokyo
I think it will probably be longer than the nomal one year cycle we have been used to. The iPads are just too good these days. When the Air 2 came out, I could not imagine how they could make a new perfect device even better, but somehow then managed with the Pro 9.7.

Since there is becoming less and less of compelling reason to upgrade, I think the cycles wil be longer.

vish26

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
Interesting couple of voices chiming in for 18 Months which makes it a Sept-2017 release.

Beerstalker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2011
Peoria, IL
I think we may see them go back to a March release for iPads to stretch new product introductions out again. Having all your new products come out in September/October seems like a bad idea to me. I'm thinking iPads and Watch in the Spring timeframe, and iPhones in the fall. Computers and Apple TV releases in the summer.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
When do you guys think the next model of the 9.7" iPad Pro will come ? March-2017 or September-2017 ?

The next iPad Pro will be in September 2017 along side the 10th Anniversary iPhone Pro. Apple has ordered with Samsung 5.7 inch OLED displays which they already use in the Note 5 and Note 7 (2016 model) and 12.9 inch OLED displays. Very likely for the 12.9 iPad Pro 2017

The OLED will allow the Pro branding to grow. With

#1. Wider color gamut and better colors
#2. Making the device half the weigh almost
#3. Thinner
#4. Much better battery life.
#5. Bluetooth 5.0
#6. The first Quad Core CPU the A10X

Sure it will enrage a very small fraction of wealthy people who somehow justified a first gen iPad Pro 12.9 hint never buy any first gen Apple product.

The new iPad Pro 2 will be hailed as a triumph and must have device and any outrage will be silenced by the iPhone Pro 10 Anniversary Editions praise.

The 9.7 Pro will enjoy a much longer run there are no OLED orders at the 9.7 size SAMSUNGs capacity is maxed out. So the 9.7 will enjoy a much longer run like the Air 2 has and beyond because it's a true Tablet they can't stuff any new features into a change in 12 to 18 months. Even if they do they wouldn't be a significant upgrade.

There needs to be a huge compelling reason to get buyer motivated like the Major improvements from the Air 2 to the 9.7 Pro.

Bonus: the Note 5 at 5.7" and 1440p OLED display resolution is thinner and physically smaller and lighter than the iPhone 6s Plus at 5.5" and 1080p resolution. That's one of the many benefits of OLED.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The next iPad Pro will be in September 2017 along side the 10th Anniversary iPhone Pro. Apple has ordered with Samsung 5.7 inch OLED displays which they already use in the Note 5 and Note 7 (2016 model) and 12.9 inch OLED displays. Very likely for the 12.9 iPad Pro 2017

#3. Thinner
#5. Bluetooth 5.0

Sure it will enrage a very small fraction of wealthy people who somehow justified a first gen iPad Pro 12.9 hint never buy any first gen Apple product.

The new iPad Pro 2 will be hailed as a triumph and must have device and any outrage will be silenced by the iPhone Pro 10 Anniversary Editions praise.

The 9.7 Pro will enjoy a much longer run there are no OLED orders at the 9.7 size SAMSUNGs capacity is maxed out. So the 9.7 will enjoy a much longer run like the Air 2 has and beyond because it's a true Tablet they can't stuff any new features into a change in 12 to 18 months. Even if they do they wouldn't be a significant upgrade.

There needs to be a huge compelling reason to get buyer motivated like the Major improvements from the Air 2 to the 9.7 Pro.

Bonus: the Note 5 at 5.7" and 1440p OLED display resolution is thinner and physically smaller and lighter than the iPhone 6s Plus at 5.5" and 1080p resolution. That's one of the many benefits of OLED.

And on that note, the Apple Pencil will expand, hopefully in more versatility. It was wildly popular and still is. I was at my Apple Store last week and They said the majority of the iPad Pro users purchase the Pro ONLY because of the Pencil support. It's definitely a smart feature for Apple to have.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
What a strange thing to say! As a (not wealthy) 12.9" owner I'll have had well over a year's use of my iPad Pro 12.9 by then and if it's a worthwhile upgrade I'll buy it, if not I'll simply continue enjoying my current one which is by far and away the best iPad I've ever owned

Last edited:

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011

#3. Thinner
#5. Bluetooth 5.0

Count me in that "Gen1 will not buy group".

Although we're still on Gen1 for both, look what Apple did to the 12.9" when they introduced the Pro 9.7" 10 months later ...they doubled the storage to 256gb and screwed over any early owners who might have waited and bought the 256gb instead had Apple announced that plan early on.

I would have been one of those unfortunate people.

i don't think though that sufficient OLED screens for the 12.9" can be made in time for a Sept 2017 unveiling, but this would be one time where that would be a most welcome surprise. Shock me Apple!

Couple that with a bigger battery and it would knock my socks off. I'd welcome those two additions over a TT display any day. And maybe by then, Apple will unveil needed software tweaks like split windows top and bottom in portrait mode, and others to the iPad.

iPad software features have taken a back seat in ios10. Time to change that in 2017.

Last edited:

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
Since there is a fresh leak today of a supposed new 12.9 inch iPad that could mean a new model for that size a year after the first model was introduced. I suppose one could logically extend that same timeframe to the 9.7 inch model as well--so Apple *could* be returning to a normal yearly update cycle for both versions.

Who knows though? I have a 9.7 and enjoy it and although I'm sure the new version will be a great update for anyone with an older iPad I hope to hang onto mine until Apple introduces the OLED screens--or some other major display upgrade.

augustya

Suspended
Feb 17, 2012
All you guys who said September-2017. Why can't it be March-2017? which will make it a yearly release after the current 9.7" iPad Pro was released.

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
And on that note, the Apple Pencil will expand, hopefully in more versatility. It was wildly popular and still is. I was at my Apple Store last week and They said the majority of the iPad Pro users purchase the Pro ONLY because of the Pencil support. It's definitely a smart feature for Apple to have.

Interesting considering how many people said that Apple would never make a stylus, there was no point, etc. Turns out it's fantastic.

As for the iPad Pro 12.9/9.7 release dates, they really should (and likely will) consolidate them to the same release date. Whether than means an early update to the 9.7 in the fall or a delayed updated to the 12.9 in spring, they should probably try to get them synced up. It's rather messy otherwise, especially when they share the same name.

Having two "iPad Pro" release dates in the year, but only one of the two gets updated at each, is confusing and makes people not want to get the one that hasn't been updated. Or perhaps they're expecting the average consumer to then think that they've both been updated following each event.

Reactions: ABC5S

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
My predictions. They will have just one announcement with two iPads Pro shown. They've done it before and they can do it again. That is all folks. When will this happen, I don't know.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.