When will doom 3 be released for mac?

Discussion in 'Games' started by JGreen2191991, Jul 24, 2004.

1. JGreen2191991 macrumors newbie

I KNOW THIS HAS BEEN BROUGHT UP BEFORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!SO JUST SHUT UP ABOUT THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!ok sry but does anyone know when it will be realeased on mac.

2. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

3. applekid macrumors 68020

Stop with the all caps and exclamation points. It's getting ridiculous.

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I'm confused. Then why are you asking the same question again?

5. JGreen2191991 thread starter macrumors newbie

hey i said sorry. and im too lazy to look back at all the old forums. oh and thanks to the only person who could give an answer back.

6. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

Well, the thing is, we don't want to reward laziness.

P-Worm

7. JGreen2191991 thread starter macrumors newbie

8. applekid macrumors 68020

Guys, let's answer his question while we're here! :rolleyes:

You're forgiven, just don't do that again.

Anyhoo...

It'll be ready "when it's done." They give it months. I'd expect up to six months because Mac development was halted completely for a while. Give it three months if they can salvage the code, work with it, and have done some minimal work in the background.

9. JGreen2191991 thread starter macrumors newbie

10. Anarchy99 macrumors 6502

aw i don't want to wait till october pc users get it august 3rd o well

11. JGreen2191991 thread starter macrumors newbie

No one does. What do you think the system requirements will be?

12. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I reckon a 1 GHz G4, 256 RAM, 32 VRAM to play at "minimum" settings. I've heard that it runs surprisingly well on a GeForce4 MX (Windows).

13. A Mac Gamer macrumors member

I think that this asking, "When is it going to be done?" is kind of silly. id stated "It will be done when its done"

I'm sure they want the Mac version out as quick as possible, butim glad that they arent half assing it.

So the offical release date is "When its done"

14. Jigglelicious macrumors 6502

Jigglelicious

The minimum specs for the windows version has already been released, and they are far above that. If you think a 1ghz G4 is going to run the game playable, you're kidding yourself.

15. SwitchingSoon macrumors regular

i'm beginning to doubt if anything better than a dual 2.0 ghz will be able to play doom anything above decent...factoring the Pc to Mac added crappiness factor and all

16. 7on macrumors 601

7on

The minimum for a PC is 1.5Ghz

Though I'd think the Mac Ram requirements would be higher.

And also Doom3 isn't being ported. It's being developed and made by id. So therefore there is no crappiness in PC-Mac as one mentioned. Probably similar to Blizzard games in quality of PC and Mac versions. Or Quake3 even. I'm surprised it isn't a simultaneous release, but I can see that if the PC and Mac versions are from the same team. Because the Mac executable might need to be made by another team or might be done second in addition to a finished PC game.

17. Anarchy99 macrumors 6502

my prediction is the mac requirements will be lower than the pc because its not a port so there could be less of some of the crappy mistakes when making ports and with the pc 1.5ghz isn't a big deal they go much higher macs not really only a few computers do so they will make a hell of a lot more optimizations because they might half to
    and finally my 1.25ghz mac noticeably beats out my 2.1ghz pc in everything including when i benchmark it and i know thats the case with a lot of mac users they notice there "faster" pc's are worse then there macs so just that fact should make it run on slower macs

18. JGreen2191991 thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah my macs way better than my pc. but my pc sucks ;)

19. KriC macrumors newbie

mm.
    I just put an X800 in my PC, ready for next month! - beat the rush..
    Bring on Doom 3 & Half Life 2 I say, and if that means on my PC then thats what I'll be doing!

20. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I know what you mean, my 1.25 GHz Mac "feels" faster than my mum's 2.4 GHz Dull.

21. Jigglelicious macrumors 6502

Jigglelicious

First, you need to start using periods. That post gave me a headache.

Secondly, the FPU on the G4 is actually weaker compared to a P4 or an Athlon. So in reality, the CPU requirements would actually be higher than the x86 version. The G5's FPU on the other hand, is very beefy, and a 2GHz+ G5 should have no problem pushing Doom3, especially if they take advantage of dual processors.

22. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

I not really considering Doom 3 yet. But I'm wondering: How badly would I need to lower the graphics on Doom 3 or even other games like that to work on my 933 MHz G4 iBook?

23. yamabushi macrumors 65816

yamabushi

A lot, Like way down to minimum. The cpu is also probably too slow to provide smooth game play. The 1.5GHz Powerbook is probably the weakest computer I would personally feel comfortable playing the newest and most demanding games on. Any G5 with a decent graphics card would also be fine. The newest top end Powermac with a GF6800 would be ideal and allow max graphics settings without any noticeable performance penalty.