When will games...

Discussion in 'Games' started by pgc6000, Aug 4, 2004.

1. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Jul 12, 2004
    Does anyone know when games will require a G5 for even a "good performance"? When will a G4 just not cut game requirements ? I have heard Doom 3 is very demanding .Will upcoming computer games ask for what Doom 3 requires?
  2. Ninja_Turtle macrumors 6502

Apr 28, 2004
    Fullerton, California

g4s are starting to not "cut" it as you say...look at the emac, it has an alright processor but terrible graphics card...and the old g4 towers, they dont cut it...and the doom3 question about other games,....eh i doubt it, star wars kotor needs 1ghz, and its a nice game, so no games YET can match doom3, and when doom3 mac version comes out, i guarantee we will need TWICE the power that the pc requires...why? because macs just dont "cut" it when it comes to games... sad but true :(
  3. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

Sep 8, 2002
    The Netherlands
    Yeah.. an aging discussion.

Only games wich take advantage of SMP, Ativec, and which are not simply "ported" to OpenGL, run well on the Dual G4's.... Too bad not many are like that.
    Games like Quake 3 though, run gr8 on the G4.
    IMHO Doom 3 might do surprizingly well on a (newer) Dual G4, if a 128 MB grfx card is installed (GeForce Ti, Radeon 9700 / 9800), judging by how well past Id Software games run on Apple hardware.

Once games like Far Cry or HalfLife 2 get ported to the Mac, then a (Dual?) G5 will be required.
  4. applekid macrumors 68020

Jul 3, 2003
    Remembering a few Quake 3 benchmarks, I'd suspect our Macs would run a third slower than a comparable PC. With that said, I think we'll see a similar performance drop. PC users have been saying low-end machines play Doom 3 well enough. I think we'll be fine. At minimum I expect 1.25 GHz G4s and dual processors get a nice speed boost. I expect similar graphics card requirements and RAM. Maybe even another OS X update will be needed?

G5 demanding games should be coming a year or two, looking at the direction the game market is going. We've reached the 1 GHz minimum with a few games already. Aspyr has said, you really have to be at the minimum or above to run games at all to a "playable" amount.

Personally, I'm disappointed how game companies are pushing hardware and graphics only, not gameplay. Doom 3 is different, but most of the games you see are the same tried methods. But that's a different story.
  5. James L macrumors 6502a

Apr 14, 2004
    Granted this is a rumors site, but until we all have a chance to play Doom 3 on a Mac, which we don't currently have, NO ONE knows how it is going to run on any machine...

Having said that, the question is about the processor. Sure the eMac is not a great gaming machine, but it is because of a crappy video card, low VRAM, low memory, a slow hard drive, etc.

A quick G4 with a great video card, lots of ram, and a fast hard drive is a nice machine, and one that will still have some oomph for a while yet. Look at it from the game designers point of view too... less than 20% of Apple's sales last year were G5's, and they are still very expensive. Mac game designers already have a small market in the Mac world to profit from, and while such a small part of the product matrix is G5 equipped they will not want to alienate their customers, and therefore profits.

When the PM, PB, and the iMac are all G5 machines you will see a switch to more processor dependent games, but at the same time development continues on the G4 chipset so who knows what we will see? Lord knows IBM has had numerous documented issues with the G5 production, resembling Motorola in many cases, and does Apple really want to be completely dependant on one chip manufactuer at this point?