Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

icsedge1

macrumors member
Original poster
May 29, 2003
40.69489 -73.94290. 49 feet
All right...I've been thinking about this for a while now, it's time for Apple to make it for me.

It's an iCamera. A camera built around a 2.5 inch hard drive. How many images could you fit on a 20 gig drive? 40? 80? 160? Lots. It would basically be the same size as a (regular) iPod, except a little thicker to account for the zoom lens on the front. You could have a comparitively huge screen on the back of the iCamera, next to the various mode/settings buttons, with the zoom/shutter buttons on the top. I'd be thinking USB 2.0 and Firewire 800 ports on the bottom, next to a card slot so you could take your images to a professional printer if you wanted to. I'd guess they would start with 5 mp and go up from there.

Am I on drugs? Of is the camera that will finally make me go digital?

Sedge

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
icsedge1 said:
All right...I've been thinking about this for a while now, it's time for Apple to make it for me.

It's an iCamera. SNIP

Sedge

Maybe. Your the second newbie in as many days to push this idea. What are you guys, Apple market research testing the waters??? ;)

See this thread (page)

https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=749419#post749419

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
apple doesn't need this, leave the camera business to those who are experienced

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
Sounds great, I would buy it but Firewire 800? That would be very nice, but what about those of us who only have the original Firewire? Would we be left out in the cold or is 800 backwards compatible? I thought Apple was supposed to come out with a camera a long time ago... iTunes has the iPod... iPhoto gets...............

ingenious

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2004
Washington, D.C.
bad name

icsedge1 said:

It's an iCamera. A camera built around a 2.5 inch hard drive. How many images could you fit on a 20 gig drive? 40? 80? 160? Lots. It would basically be the same size as a (regular) iPod, except a little thicker to account for the zoom lens on the front. You could have a comparitively huge screen on the back of the iCamera, next to the various mode/settings buttons, with the zoom/shutter buttons on the top. I'd be thinking USB 2.0 and Firewire 800 ports on the bottom, next to a card slot so you could take your images to a professional printer if you wanted to. I'd guess they would start with 5 mp and go up from there.

Sedge

iCam sounds better

realityisterror

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2003
Snellville, GA
how about something like the belkin media reader? but you don't have to take the card out. the usb cable from your camera would go directly to a regular iPod and save the images.

and would the same thing be possible with video? i don't think the drive would be fast enough, and that would be very intensive for an iPod.

reality

e2interactive

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2004
Why just a camera?

Why just a camera, why not combine the camera with the iPod? Or just put in a phone and make it the ultimate PDA/iPod with a mini iSight camera with zoom capabilities? Either way I would love to have a iCamera for taking with me. I guess I just want a all in one device I can listen to music, take photos, check email, and take notes on that fits in my pocket.

Opteron

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2004
South Australia
Counterfit said:

Yeah, my school use to have a few (many, many moons ago.)

However I feel it's unlikley that apple will go into the recording camera market. MP4 isn't high enough quality. DVD+-R, DVD-RAM, Mini-DV and DV cam are the current midrange standards and the R & D that apple would have to undertake would outway the results.

Apple needs to look at it's core business, COMPUTERS

ingenious

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2004
Washington, D.C.
hmmm...

realityisterror said:
how about something like the belkin media reader? but you don't have to take the card out. the usb cable from your camera would go directly to a regular iPod and save the images.

and would the same thing be possible with video? i don't think the drive would be fast enough, and that would be very intensive for an iPod.

reality

I for some reason thought that the iPod could store digital pictures? Like that went along with the firewire hd feature? anyone know anything about this?

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Calebj14 said:
I for some reason thought that the iPod could store digital pictures? Like that went along with the firewire hd feature? anyone know anything about this?

Digital pictures are just files and can be stored on the hard drive of the iPod as long as they can be transferred there from the host machine or by using the Belkin media reader.

icsedge1:

Apple was very early in the digital camera game. They and Sony were first to introduce cameras to the market. Apple and Kodak both sold a camera (QuickTake 100, DC40) manufactured by Kyocera, which was pretty amazing for the time. Considering the current thought process at Apple, I believe it unlikely that we'll see another digital still camera from Apple.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
javabear90 said:
i would buy one :D

I am sure plenty would but sales would be nothing like the iPod phenomena.
If they put an iSight in a laptop or into the bezel of their screens, I think that would be cool, but not a stand alone device.

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
icsedge1 said:

Sedge

i don't see why apple would make a camera. anyways they would just out source the camera to someone anyways. the idea of the 2.5 hard drive is noble, but if it could be done and pratical it would be. the camera would be to big your already starting with 2.5" and you put the rest of the camera around that. another thing it would be a brick. think about it one battery to power and hard drive, flash, and the rest of the cameras sub systems.

this is why they use microdrives in digital cameras.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.