when will ibook reach 1 ghz?

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by jefhatfield, Aug 7, 2002.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

there is no doubt that tibook will reach 1 ghz early next year or even late this year, but the high end is beyond my reach and justification

but how long will ibook take to reach 1 ghz? or will it even go there or be replaced by a g4 chip by then?

my guess for g3 1 ghz ibook is summer of 2003...if so, then i will buy it to replace my nearly three year old revision a ibook...and i will try and make that last three years since i am modest user of email, internet, and light graphics and word processing (photoshop works just fine on my current ibook though slow compared to any g4 wielding machine)

2. King Cobra macrumors 603

I'll call it between October 2003 and March 2004.

As for the G4 upgrade, it has to happen before or when the iBook hits G4. Even a GHz G3 doesn't come close to what many people with big-time video/audio editing jobs need. It has to have a G4 sometime soon.

There have been rumors of eBooks, maybe a basic version of an iBook with a slower G4 and a smaller screen. I'd say in 2004 or early 2005 there will be an eBook.

3. iGav macrumors G3

I'd say mid next year........ although I still think it'd be better for Apple to be on the same family of chips...... although they can release the next generation PPC if they want to... I won't complain...... :) so maybe by next summer they will be shifted to G4's.........

The G3 is still a handy processor, I still know a few people using the old B&W G3's and they still do some amazing design work....... and judging by what some people say about the current iBook, it sounds like it has a fair amount of poke.....

4. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

march, 2004...ouch, that hurts, son ;)

but apple being behind in the mhz wars, that is possible, but it would look really bad...equally priced pc laptops will be 3 ghz by then

dell's p4 laptop at 1.6 ghz is $1299...$100 more than basic ibook...but i would still rather do ibook anyday

5. King Cobra macrumors 603

>...son ;)

Pops, how come I'm not in your sig?

March 2004 is a stretch, but think that would be the absolute LATEST the iBook (let's say low-end, if there are multiple models) would meet the 1 GHz barrier.

Actually, I think the pee3 notebooks would be faster than the 1.6GHz pee4, because of the smaller L1 cache, etc. Then again, what's the purpose of a peesomething that can't even get the flops goin'? :D :p

6. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

i am putting my weight there to show i can go from 179 down to 160...which is hard for my middle aged body...very hard

i was under 140 in high school (in the 70s) and i was able to eat for days:D

7. rice_web macrumors 6502a

rice_web

8. dongmin macrumors 68000

dongmin

I say two more update cycles. The latest update was in May so I say Spring 2003--March if we're lucky but maybe as late as July.

The G4 development is going a little better these days. So you might see a 1 ghz 7460 come this Fall. If that's the case, we'll probably see a 833 mhz (or 850 mhz) G3 in the iBook also in the Fall. That would make the 1ghz target fairly attainable for Spring of next year.

That is if Apple keeps the iBook on the G3s. It's also possible that Apple is planning a switch to the G4s. In which case we might see a 800mhz G3 in the Fall and maybe a 900 mhz G4 in the Spring (when the PowerBooks reach 1.2 ghz G4).

maybe these projections are a bit optimistic...

9. Anon macrumors member

Probably early 2003. It will be easier to narrow down after Apple introduces the next round of PowerMacs.

10. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

I would rather have a 700MHz G4 iBook than a 1GHz G3 iBook. There were rumors of an iBook SE with a G4 and a slot-loading combo, but with a 14.1" screen. Not the 14.1!!! If you want a big screeen and a G4 get a TiBook! Personally, I want a G4 iBook at MWSF 2003, but that would give me a hard choice between that and the new (hopefully) G5.