Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

calbear93

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2011
I start college in August and I would like to get a MacBook Pro. I was wondering if I should wait for Lion to be released or if I should buy a computer now with Snow Leopard. The date that Lion is being released will affect my decision! So does anyone know or have any idea?

dethmaShine

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2010
Into the lungs of Hell
They haven't announced a date, just that it will be available in Summer 2011.

http://www.apple.com/uk/macosx/lion/

Check one of the threads on the front page [i guess].

As far as I understand, we will see a GM release on the day of the keynote at WWDC 2011.

Add 60 days to the Golden Master build. Somewhere in mid-august, you will see a release of the same. In my opinion, Apple will hold another event in August/September to release OS X with the new macbook airs and the iPods.

Just my guess.

calbear93

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2011
So I guess the general consensus is that Lion will be released in mid-August at the earliest?

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Yes. We'll get a better idea at WWDC in a few weeks.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
So I guess the general consensus is that Lion will be released in mid-August at the earliest?

I don't know if there's a general consensus especially given apple's penchant for secrecy. There's hope that mid august is time frame but thats more SWAG then anything

Rubydoppler

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2010
USA
My question is how does the process work if you are a developer? Do you go out and buy the retail copy and upgrade the dev preview? Do you not have to buy it?

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
since they've said summer, i'd certainly expect towards the later portion of summer given that Apple has a tendency to release things later rather than sooner when they've given a time-frame

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
As far as I understand, we will see a GM release on the day of the keynote at WWDC 2011.

Apple told developers (like me) this:
c04661ca.png

This does sound like we will see a public beta of Lion on the WWDC 2011. Windows 8 has also a public beta.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
Lion Up-To-Date License: ≈ 10 US$
Lion Upgrade License: ≈ 30 US$
Lion Single Seat License: ??? US$
Lion Family Pack License: ??? US$

The upgrade disc is usually a full version of Mac OS X.

that depends. Snow Leopard has been the one exception in pricing with OS X updates.

personally i'd say anywhere from $130 down to $30, but more likely the former.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Apple told developers (like me) this:
This does sound like we will see a public beta of Lion on the WWDC 2011. Windows 8 has also a public beta.

Sorry, I don't see anything to suggest public beta. Apple's never done a public beta before, either, only betas for developers. I have a distinct feeling that the Developer Previews are the same as what's traditionally been called a beta, so we probably will get a good keynote preview, another seed or two to developers of the previews, and then release. I don't expect a public beta at all.

jW

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
since they've said summer, i'd certainly expect towards the later portion of summer given that Apple has a tendency to release things later rather than sooner when they've given a time-frame

Snow Leopard was released before schedule... so that's worth considering too. However, given how buggy Lion is at this stage, I think there's still a few months of testing to do, which probably means July-August.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
*lol*

I did not expect this from you, but you sound now like the average, uninformed MR-user.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_X_Public_Beta
and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKQGRdK8pYo
(Look at the table in the video!)

:rolleyes:

Dude, look before you leap ;)

Apple gave us a public beta of 10.0

ROFL. OK, sorry, forgot that. Still, don't think it really negates my point. 10.0 was decidedly a different situation, and Apple was under pressure to get something out to the masses. No such situation exists now.

And Mr. Retrofire, I'm hurt. :( :p

jW

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
I don't see any indication that there's going to be a public beta program for Lion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.