When will Lion be released to consumers?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.7 Lion' started by calbear93, May 18, 2011.

  1. macrumors newbie

    I start college in August and I would like to get a MacBook Pro. I was wondering if I should wait for Lion to be released or if I should buy a computer now with Snow Leopard. The date that Lion is being released will affect my decision! So does anyone know or have any idea?
  2. Moderator


    Staff Member

  3. macrumors 68000

    Check one of the threads on the front page [i guess].

    As far as I understand, we will see a GM release on the day of the keynote at WWDC 2011.

    Add 60 days to the Golden Master build. Somewhere in mid-august, you will see a release of the same. In my opinion, Apple will hold another event in August/September to release OS X with the new macbook airs and the iPods.

    Just my guess.
  4. macrumors newbie

    So I guess the general consensus is that Lion will be released in mid-August at the earliest?
  5. macrumors 603

    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

    Yes. We'll get a better idea at WWDC in a few weeks.
  6. Moderator


    Staff Member

    I don't know if there's a general consensus especially given apple's penchant for secrecy. There's hope that mid august is time frame but thats more SWAG then anything
  7. macrumors 6502a


    The general consensus would be that it will be released in the summer. If you're looking at a particular month, no one knows.
  8. macrumors 6502a


    My question is how does the process work if you are a developer? Do you go out and buy the retail copy and upgrade the dev preview? Do you not have to buy it?
  9. macrumors 68030

    You will have access to the GM, so you won't have to buy it.
  10. macrumors G3


    Lion will be released when it is ready.
  11. macrumors Core

    since they've said summer, i'd certainly expect towards the later portion of summer given that Apple has a tendency to release things later rather than sooner when they've given a time-frame
  12. macrumors 601

    Mr. Retrofire

    Apple told developers (like me) this:
    This does sound like we will see a public beta of Lion on the WWDC 2011. Windows 8 has also a public beta.
  13. macrumors regular


    any idea on pricing for Lion?
  14. macrumors 601

    Mr. Retrofire

    Lion Up-To-Date License: ≈ 10 US$
    Lion Upgrade License: ≈ 30 US$
    Lion Single Seat License: ??? US$
    Lion Family Pack License: ??? US$

    The upgrade disc is usually a full version of Mac OS X.
  15. macrumors Core

    that depends. Snow Leopard has been the one exception in pricing with OS X updates.

    personally i'd say anywhere from $130 down to $30, but more likely the former.
  16. macrumors 65816


    I hope it's later rather than sooner.

    It would be very nice to have a reasonably bug free version.
  17. Mal
    macrumors 603


    Sorry, I don't see anything to suggest public beta. Apple's never done a public beta before, either, only betas for developers. I have a distinct feeling that the Developer Previews are the same as what's traditionally been called a beta, so we probably will get a good keynote preview, another seed or two to developers of the previews, and then release. I don't expect a public beta at all.

  18. macrumors 601

    Mr. Retrofire

  19. macrumors 68000

    They told devlelopers like me as well:

    Screen shot 2011-05-19 at 08.35.28.png

    The point being, they will be in full form to preview a beta and later claim at as a GM build. That's no big deal.
  20. Moderator


    Staff Member

    Dude, look before you leap ;)

    Apple gave us a public beta of 10.0
  21. macrumors 68030


    Snow Leopard was released before schedule... so that's worth considering too. However, given how buggy Lion is at this stage, I think there's still a few months of testing to do, which probably means July-August.
  22. Mal
    macrumors 603


    ROFL. OK, sorry, forgot that. Still, don't think it really negates my point. 10.0 was decidedly a different situation, and Apple was under pressure to get something out to the masses. No such situation exists now.

    And Mr. Retrofire, I'm hurt. :( :p

  23. macrumors 68030


    I don't see any indication that there's going to be a public beta program for Lion.
  24. macrumors 68030

    Some say there already is one. Instead of $29.95 it is now $99 :rolleyes:
  25. macrumors 68000


Share This Page