When will Lion be released to consumers?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.7 Lion' started by calbear93, May 18, 2011.

1. macrumors newbie

I start college in August and I would like to get a MacBook Pro. I was wondering if I should wait for Lion to be released or if I should buy a computer now with Snow Leopard. The date that Lion is being released will affect my decision! So does anyone know or have any idea?

2. Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

3. macrumors 68000

Check one of the threads on the front page [i guess].

As far as I understand, we will see a GM release on the day of the keynote at WWDC 2011.

Add 60 days to the Golden Master build. Somewhere in mid-august, you will see a release of the same. In my opinion, Apple will hold another event in August/September to release OS X with the new macbook airs and the iPods.

Just my guess.

4. macrumors newbie

So I guess the general consensus is that Lion will be released in mid-August at the earliest?

5. macrumors 603

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Yes. We'll get a better idea at WWDC in a few weeks.

6. Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't know if there's a general consensus especially given apple's penchant for secrecy. There's hope that mid august is time frame but thats more SWAG then anything

7. macrumors 6502a

ThaDoggg

The general consensus would be that it will be released in the summer. If you're looking at a particular month, no one knows.

8. macrumors 6502a

rmbrown09

My question is how does the process work if you are a developer? Do you go out and buy the retail copy and upgrade the dev preview? Do you not have to buy it?

9. macrumors 68030

You will have access to the GM, so you won't have to buy it.

10. macrumors G3

roadbloc

Lion will be released when it is ready.

11. macrumors Core

since they've said summer, i'd certainly expect towards the later portion of summer given that Apple has a tendency to release things later rather than sooner when they've given a time-frame

12. macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Apple told developers (like me) this:
    [​IMG]
    This does sound like we will see a public beta of Lion on the WWDC 2011. Windows 8 has also a public beta.

13. macrumors regular

aramosc

any idea on pricing for Lion?

14. macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Lion Up-To-Date License: ≈ 10 US$
    Lion Upgrade License: ≈ 30 US$
    Lion Single Seat License: ??? US$
    Lion Family Pack License: ??? US$

The upgrade disc is usually a full version of Mac OS X.

15. macrumors Core

that depends. Snow Leopard has been the one exception in pricing with OS X updates.

personally i'd say anywhere from $130 down to $30, but more likely the former.

16. macrumors 65816

maclaptop

I hope it's later rather than sooner.

It would be very nice to have a reasonably bug free version.

17. Mal
    macrumors 603

Mal

Sorry, I don't see anything to suggest public beta. Apple's never done a public beta before, either, only betas for developers. I have a distinct feeling that the Developer Previews are the same as what's traditionally been called a beta, so we probably will get a good keynote preview, another seed or two to developers of the previews, and then release. I don't expect a public beta at all.

jW

18. macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

19. macrumors 68000

They told devlelopers like me as well:

Screen shot 2011-05-19 at 08.35.28.png

The point being, they will be in full form to preview a beta and later claim at as a GM build. That's no big deal.

20. Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Dude, look before you leap ;)

Apple gave us a public beta of 10.0

21. macrumors 68030

baryon

Snow Leopard was released before schedule... so that's worth considering too. However, given how buggy Lion is at this stage, I think there's still a few months of testing to do, which probably means July-August.

22. Mal
    macrumors 603

Mal

ROFL. OK, sorry, forgot that. Still, don't think it really negates my point. 10.0 was decidedly a different situation, and Apple was under pressure to get something out to the masses. No such situation exists now.

And Mr. Retrofire, I'm hurt. :( :p

jW

23. macrumors 68030

tkermit

I don't see any indication that there's going to be a public beta program for Lion.

24. macrumors 68030

Some say there already is one. Instead of $29.95 it is now $99 :rolleyes:

25. macrumors 68000