When will Safari be better than Firefox?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by broken_keyboard, Aug 12, 2004.

1. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

Why is a crummy open source project like Firefox better than the browser that comes with my computer?

2. vkapoormd macrumors member

Totally agree with you; it's much, much faster....

3. jdogg707 macrumors regular

Firefox is far from some crummy open source outfit, the team that develops Firefox and Mozilla alike are great at what they do, many being programers from the Netscape days.

4. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

Please define 'better.'

Personally I find Safari very good.

And why is some open-source project like SuSE better than Windows XP?

5. King Cobra macrumors 603

First off, a big f***ing hell yeah! to open source.

Second, Firefox is in beta, meaning, it is being tested, debugged, and recompiled constantly. So you shouldn't be making poor judgements about Firefox until Firefix hits 1.0 (final).

Third, because Safari is highly unstable (except if you are using 1.0 through 1.0.3 for Jaguar).

Fourth, I seriously doubt that Safari will be better than Firefox (again, once Firefox hits 1.0).

6. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Eh? Works for me. No problems....

7. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

On my set-up safari is much faster than firefox, but, camino is faster than both

8. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

Tomorrow

The FireFox team are amazingly proficient.
    Unlike the Safari team they benefit from nightly builds that are released to thousands of people, and therefore bug tested by thousands of people.

Don't drop ***** on open source, programming is an incredibly arduous task. It takes guts to release what you've slaved for hours over to the world for criticism.

The answer to your "question": Tomorrow.

AppleMatt

9. King Cobra macrumors 603

Fortunately for you... the first two weeks of using Panther and Safari were awful. I was amazed at the stability issues. All I had to do was switch back and forth between different windows, or even scroll up/down a page sometimes, 5 minutes into application usage, and it would crash. Unacceptable.

Again, it's fortunate for you if Safari is stable, because Safari is a simplified browser whose interface can be changed pretty easily with the theme of your OS. Though I can't deal with constant crashes with any application.

10. psycho bob macrumors 6502a

psycho bob

I've used Safari since beta (and am using it now) and can honestly say I've never had it crash once on me. I use it every day and its smooth sailing. Once they got past some of the incompatibility issues between certain sites (namely msn and encrypted sites) its been wonderful for me. I've tried other browsers but haven't seen anything to tempt me away.
    On a well maintained system it seems to run fine, I know quite a few mac users and they all use it with out problems.
    But as they say it's a free world you use what best suits you, but never assume that because something doesn't work for you it is the same for everyone.

11. broken_keyboard thread starter macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

Firefox is compatible with more web sites and significantly faster.

Whenever I try to go back to Safari I just throw up my hands in frustration at the speed and reluctantly open up the little dialog to set Firefox as my default browser... :(

12. beatle888 macrumors 68000

beatle888

well from your post i was expecting something to blow safari out of the water. firefox is faster at some sites but not all. it seems that for me safari loads sites with heavy content noticably faster like macromedia.com or mtv.com. still it does seem like a nice browser. i'll give it a few and see if i change my mind but so far i'll stick with safari...and whats with no option to import from safari during setup...it lists other browsers but not safari...weird.

13. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

Really?! Safari crashes for me a lot. Plus it can't handle all the tabs I open without slowing to a crawl. I still kept using it until recently, but now I've decided to start using Camino. I think it is faster than both Safari and Firefox. However, I would rather be using Safari, it's my favorite when it actually works.

14. jsj macrumors newbie

browser wars

I tend to use Safari on OSX and FireFox on PC and Linux. Every now and then Safari seems to stall, which is kind of annoying, but I think I just use it out of habit. I just don't like the performance or (as shallow as it may seem) the look of FireFox on my iBook. FireFox is good and stable, but it's kind of ugly and takes ages to launch. Camino is my new favorite. It's very fast, has cool features (like the text searching shortcut), and is quite lovely. If you haven't tried it, you should.

15. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

What is the text searching shortcut?

16. wwworry macrumors regular

When will Safari be better than Firefox?

when it gets contextual menu "back" and "forward" options

17. broken_keyboard thread starter macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

Do you mean tomorrow never comes, or is there an update coming out that you know about? Because there's no inherient reason why Safari could not be made better than Firefox. It could be done...

18. Logik macrumors 6502a

I use safari because it tends to work better with os x. i've had it crash a few times but i've been using it pretty heavily today and it's only crashed once on an encrypted page.. going back to it again it worked fine after i submitted a bug.

firefox is not a crummy piece of software. it's an amazing piece of software that people are writing and giving away for free. you get this idea that open source is crummy lol... you realize some very great software is open source... open office is becoming better and is open source, darwin (the underlying kernel to os x) is open source, linux (the kernel) is open source.. open source is here to stay.. don't expect it to go anywhere. apache is open source.. a VERY BIG project.. it serves many of the websites you view everyday... i say you need to rethink your idea of open source being crummy..

19. psycho bob macrumors 6502a

psycho bob

Yep works fine for me. I can't really comment on speed as I haven't used them all side by side but otherwise I recommend to everybody I work with (not much need now it is the standard mac browser). The incompatability was an issue at first but this was resolved at V1.0.1 for me on the majority of sites I use. I've not come across any that won't work with it anymore and what few I have in the past (since V1.0.1 (think that was the first after the V1.0 release)) interestingly don't seem to work with IE or Mozilla either leading me to think it is a server or OS issue.
    Don't get me wrong I'm not saying it's perfect but there isn't anything with it that makes me want to look elsewhere. Personally I'm really looking forward to using Safari RSS in 10.4.

20. psycho bob macrumors 6502a

psycho bob

I'm having a thick moment here, what do you mean by contextual forward and back menus?

21. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

ive always used safari and it has never crashed, no compatibility issues either

ive tried Firefox and Camino both, but they take to long to load for me, and i just dont think that they are all that intuitive but thats my opinion

22. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

1. Firefox is not a "crummy open source project," it is a very good open source project.
    2. You do not define the word better, so that we cannot intelligently comment one way or the other.
    3. The most accurate thing that you can say is that you prefer Firefox to Safari on your computer. The reason is known only to you.

23. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

I very rarely come to a site that is incompatible with Safari.

And, in my opinion, Safari and FireFox are equally fast.

I think FireFox has a good lay out (similar to Safari), but the only things I don't like about it are:
    - brushed metal. I like it, Safari has it, so I'm going to use Safari
    - FireFox uses more system resources than Safari
    FireFox uses any where from 4-6% of my processor, when idle! FireFox uses about 10 more MB of RAM compared to Safari, and on average FireFox uses 4 more threads than Safari's 9.

It might not make much of a difference when when you run a dual 2 with 1.5GB RAM, but to a 1GHz iMac with 256 RAM, it does.

24. broken_keyboard thread starter macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

No, it's not just my opinion - it's objectively better. But if you want to use a worse browser that's OK it's up to you...

25. broken_keyboard thread starter macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

Yes I prefer Safari's GUI too, which is why I always find myself trying to go back to it, but then I can't stand the speed. I even jumped through all these hoops to try to install the Safari look and feel for Firefox but I couldn't get it to work in the end. Lots of files to replace all over the place.