When will the 12" PB G4 go down in price?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by potatoe, Dec 14, 2006.

1. potatoe macrumors newbie

Dec 14, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Hello everyone, I've been in search of a powerful and portable laptop for more than a month now, after much research I'm firmly decided on the 12" PB G4 (I'm a MAC noob, this would be my first). The only problem is that they are EXPENSIVE. I have been following ebay, craigslist and such for weeks now and I find it ridiculous that these old lappys are going for more than new Macbooks and in some cases more than 15" PB G4s with better CPUs! Not to mention that many are in used condition, as well as out of warranty.

I am looking for the 1.5Ghz one, latest revision, with an 80 gig drive, full charge battery, superdrive/combodrive doesnt matter, prefer MAX RAM. In my opinion it should be $600-$700, but of course the demand is dictating a much higher price.

I've already decided to wait till after the xmas rush and see if prices drop, but I'm also curious if anyone has an idea of when this laptop may stop being so demanded/overpriced?

Maybe when/if apple officially announces a 12" Macbook pro?
  2. macNEWBIEswitch macrumors newbie

Dec 13, 2006

I think you just answered your own question, IMHO.
  3. MUCKYFINGERS macrumors 6502a

Jun 7, 2005
    I am in the same boat as you man.

I bought a 14" iBook G4 over a 12" Powerbook G4 a few years ago, and while I love this machine... I find myself STILL wanting a 12" Powerbook G4.
  4. weg macrumors 6502a

Mar 29, 2004
    I'll give mine away when Apple announces a 12" Tablet PC (if my 12" Powerbook breaks before that happens, I'll get a Lenovo T61).
  5. tobefirst macrumors 68040

Jan 24, 2005
    St. Louis, MO
    Dibs! Too bad it will be 20 years old by then. :)
  6. fussball macrumors regular

May 7, 2003
    It's both demand and supply: The 12" PB is the only laptop without an equivalent "current" apple model (MB is both cheaply made and too big), so there is no new supply to replace the old 12's and there are a lot of people who love the portability of a 12" laptop, and will only settle for a 12" (or smaller) form factor.

Frankly, I have one 12" and I might buy a second because, to me, 700 seems like a steal. You can blame people like me for keeping the price up, I guess...
  7. CEAbiscuit macrumors 6502a

Jun 28, 2006
    The Kitchen
    Every time I'm tempted to buy a 15" MBP, all I need to do is go look at one in person at an apple store. It looks huge compared to my 12" G4-it alsmost looks like it's not portable in comparison.

I know there was a rumor of an ultra thin 12" MBP model recently and I hope it's true.